Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2009, 07:14 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo983 View Post
Spanish is already our second language. (America is written in Spanish, many of our states and cities too, the language is widely spoken in many areas, etc)

English will always be our main language (we shouldn´t worry about that)
South Americans, Asians, and Europeans learn English as a second language in their homelands (the language of globalization)

I like the true Spanish (from Spain)...the one spoken by Spaniards.
The Mexican Spanish is too different... it´s the wrong/chopped version of the Spanish language (Orale Guey... Orale Ese (S))
The true Castillian Spanish is actually quite pretty. Hard to believe that rural Mexican Spanish is the same language.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:16 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,322,917 times
Quote:
Spanish is already our second language. (America is written in Spanish, many of our states and cities too, the language is widely spoken in many areas, etc)

English will always be our main language (we shouldn´t worry about that)
South Americans, Asians, and Europeans learn English as a second language in their homelands (the language of globalization)

I like the true Spanish (from Spain)...the one spoken by Spaniards.
The Mexican Spanish is too different... it´s the wrong/chopped version of the Spanish language (Orale Guey... Orale Ese (S))
No, Spanish is not this country's second language. Who is "our"?

Old 11-15-2009, 07:57 AM

549 posts, read 1,665,948 times
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spanish was the first European language spoken in United States, and the first European language learned by native Americans.

Saint Augustine, Florida, was the first Christian-Catholic/European settlement in United States (1565). This came 21 years before the English settlement at Roanoke Island in Virginia Colony.

Martín de Argüelles ,born in 1566, the first child of European ancestry to be born in what is now the continental United States.

Many of our states have Spanish names... California, Arizona, Florida, Puerto Rico (U.S.territory) etc...America is written in Spanish.

You can´t ignore the Spanish language, that would be like ignoring part of U.S. history.

St. Augustine, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Spanish in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mexico does not equal the true Spaniard culture/language.

Mexico is an American Indian country, and Mexican Spanish is the downgraded version of that beautiful language.

The Spanish segment of U.S. history is related to Europe (Spain), not Mexico.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:

Spanish was the first European language spoken in United States, and the first European language learned by native Americans.

Saint Augustine, Florida, was the first Christian-Catholic/European settlement in United States (1565). This came 21 years before the English settlement at Roanoke Island in Virginia Colony.

Martín de Argüelles ,born in 1566, the first child of European ancestry to be born in what is now the continental United States.

Many of our states have Spanish names... California, Arizona, Florida, Puerto Rico (U.S.territory) etc...America is written in Spanish.

You can´t ignore the Spanish language, that would be like ignoring part of U.S. history.

Mexico is an American Indian country, and Mexican Spanish is the downgraded version of that beautiful language.

Ouch!

Your post will go over like a lead balloon with the MEChA/Mexica types---------never mind there is a lot of historical truth to it.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:44 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,322,917 times
Quote:

Christopher Columbus was Italian, not Spanish. I am not ignoring that Mexican Spanish is spoken here and true Spanish was spoken in the past but it is not "our" second language. Who decided that?

It is the Mexican version of the Spanish language and culture that is prevelant in the southwest as you said, not the "true Spaniard culture and language" because Mexicans are only half Spaniard and Native Indian. So in that vein, no Spanish is not our second language. I am well aware that true Spanish is from Europe (Spain). Your point is?

As I said, Mexican Spanish is only spoken with any frequency in a half dozen southwestern states. In the rest of the country it is not. The only reason it is spoken with frequency in the southwest is mostly due to illegal aliens from Mexico.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:56 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,064,233 times
Quote:

There is no such thing as a better accent or language. Languages develop and words and grammar rules change over time. Your issue seems to be more of a racial one though but you do not represent all Venezuelans and certainly not all latinos. Most Mexicans I know speak like any other Latin American, with a particular intonation and with their own local words.

Anyways this topic seems it was opened for flaming reasons. Nobody should be forced to learn a second language. What a ridiculous thing. English is easier to learn, it's the language used in international business and not having a common language only separates people more. Not only English is much easier to learn than Spanish, those born in the USA are most of the time more comfortable with speaking in English than Spanish.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
There is no such thing as a better accent or language. Languages develop and words and grammar rules change over time. Your issue seems to be more of a racial one though but you do not represent all Venezuelans and certainly not all latinos. Most Mexicans I know speak like any other Latin American, with a particular intonation and with their own local words.

Anyways this topic seems it was opened for flaming reasons. Nobody should be forced to learn a second language. What a ridiculous thing. English is easier to learn, it's the language used in international business and not having a common language only separates people more. Not only English is much easier to learn than Spanish, those born in the USA are most of the time more comfortable with speaking in English than Spanish.
And to run with your ball further: If I decided to live (legally) in Mexico---------I would make damn sure to learn Spanish. Demanding that Mexicans in their country accommodate me by speaking my language (English) would be an insult.

I have to disagree that English is easier to learn than Spanish in all fairness. At least Spanish has grammar/gender rules whereas English does whatever it wants.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:50 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,641,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And to run with your ball further: If I decided to live (legally) in Mexico---------I would make damn sure to learn Spanish. Demanding that Mexicans in their country accommodate me by speaking my language (English) would be an insult.

I have to disagree that English is easier to learn than Spanish in all fairness. At least Spanish has grammar/gender rules whereas English does whatever it wants.
English is a hard language to learn, its true but Spanish and English have a lot of similiarites that should make it easier for the Spanish 'immigrant' to learn then say an immigrant from the Sudan -- who somehow manage to learn English even though their native language has no similiarities at all.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:30 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,201,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
English is a hard language to learn, its true but Spanish and English have a lot of similiarites that should make it easier for the Spanish 'immigrant' to learn then say an immigrant from the Sudan -- who somehow manage to learn English even though their native language has no similiarities at all.
Exactly! At least 55% of the words in the English language come straight from Latin. So Spanish speaking people already have a built in vocabulary. God, if dirt poor people in Afghanistan can learn English anyone can.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:36 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,567,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Exactly! At least 55% of the words in the English language come straight from Latin. So Spanish speaking people already have a built in vocabulary. God, if dirt poor people in Afghanistan can learn English anyone can.
Absolutely! Illegals don’t learn English, because they lack the desire. But then, why should they? Everything is provided in Spanish for their convenience. If our government and corporations would stop coddling them, they would have to sink or swim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration