Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 05:47 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,322,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
We actually don't have reason to believe illegal immigrants have kept wages stagnant. In SoCal, the average construction worker is making between 35-40k a year. The typical education of a construction worker is a high school diploma.

However, construction is an entire industry. Thus, the data includes managers, specialty trades, as well as less specialized professions.

I could see that lower end jobs have taken a hit, however, the industry as a whole most likely has not...
Who said it did? Obviously an illegal alien probably won't be a foreman on a construction job but they are taking the manual labor jobs that Americans used to do for a fair wage at a lower wage and therefore stagnating wages and making it impossible for an American to compete with them. Add to that now that so many construction jobs are full of illegal alien Spanish speakers including their Spanish speaking foremen so they can communicate with them an American English speaker is turned away just because they can't speak Spanish and won't fit in with the "brotherhood".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 06:20 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,156,991 times
What they don't realize is that the world will go the way of Brazil. A hierarchy based on race will be the end result. Culture, as is in Brazil will be reduced to everyone attempting to step up the ladder of "whiteness" at which time they will be able to hide behind their gates and security.

Not really. Africa has made large strides in its middle class population. All the while Europeans continue to leave the continent en-masse. The United States, during the economic boom, finally reversed its trend of African Americans and other minorities not obtaining the middle class dream (the slide began in the 1980s into the 1990s...let up late 1990s till the 2000s...don't know the latest numbers).

Could it be, they are leaving because they are an unliked minority.
Middle-class or not.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It has been studied that places in the U.S. that are the most diverse, happen to be the most self-segregated. We are not coming closer together, we are falling farther apart. I really don't know where all of this is going to end, but it doesn't look good. One big reason is because the middle-class is being annihilated.

Not at all true. In fact my home town was voted one of the most diverse larger cities in the US. Also ranked among the lowest with residential segregation. The reason? It's a newer suburb outside an established diverse community. Also, the time it grew was during the 1990s. This was the great push for African Americans and Hispanics into suburban Riverside County, San Bernardino County, and the Antelope Valley.

In fact, immigration is growing at a faster pace in boomburgs (middle class, diverse, suburban communities).

A Diverse City Exists Equal but Separate - The New York Times

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am pretty sure that Mexico/Latin America, China, India, Phillipines etc, wouldn't want their countries experiencing rapid national, cultural or ethnic population shifts even over the next 100 years let alone 20 years. Look how all these immigrants who come here stand proud of their culture, language and that's in this country. Tell Korea that since their aging rapidly, that they need to let in millions of Filipinos to keep costs down for business and in the process give the Filipinos a chance for a better life. Along with this, tell the Koreans that they will have to start learning Tagalog to help them feel more comfortable. Korea/Phillipines or fill in the blanks for yourself. Most nations would go to war first. Nigerians in Argentina, NEVER!!

These countries are experiencing the same cultural shifts we are...Funny you should mention Nigerians in Argentina. I'm half Ivorian, my ex GF is full Ivorian. Our fantasy was to move to Buenos Aires. The fact of the matter is that we are increasingly becoming a society in which we have more commonalities. Older notions of hyper nationalism are incompatible with mass communication and a globalized economy.

They are?

I would think twice about going to Argentina.

The Argentine Post » Blog Archive » Racism In Argentina

Google Image Result for http://brotherpeacemaker.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/racism-on-cruise-control.jpg

Argentina Foros: Arrogant or racist Argentinians?, It's my feeling that Argentineans are arrogant, on a cultur

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The U.S. isn't a orgy of greed. It's a nation. We don't all have to agree. But that doesn't mean one group lets to dictate to all the others that they believe the members of their own group should be allowed to import more of their own (or cheap and close to slave-like labor) so they can feel more empowered. In any other scenario, the American people would look like a bunch of bafoons... Wait a minute...

However, in order to foster the middle class, we need to realize that exclusion of the poor will only harm and created a two tiered society...[/quote]

Huh?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It makes me laugh how people have the gumption to even try and argue the fact that they believe illegal-immigrants are good for the middle class in this country. How? They are a net-positive result only to the rich.

I think I have figured out one thing most white people are afraid of even more than a black guy dating their daughter. RICH WHITE PEOPLE!
I'm half white and don't give a damn about slamming our elites(most of whom are white). What are they going to do, make everyone Serfs again?

Old 11-17-2009, 03:38 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,908,694 times
Could it be, they are leaving because they are an unliked minority.
Middle-class or not.

The point was that you stated that a racial based economic system would arise in which Whites are at the top, Blacks at the bottom. In Africa, the reason is not simply because they are an "unliked minority". Much of it is due to death of colonialism in general. They are simply not needed. The neocolonial economic structure have changed greatly. The African middle class, prior to the economic crisis, was growing quite well.

Yet according to the US census it sates "All five measures of segregation indicate a reduction in the residential segregation of Blacks between 1980 and 1990, and a further reduction between 1990 and 2000." (April 11, 2008).

So...

They are?

Yes, they are... Mass consumerism and mass media are changing every society. If it was not clear, those were the cultural shifts I was refering to.

Huh?

It relates back to the OP.

It makes me laugh how people have the gumption to even try and argue the fact that they believe illegal-immigrants are good for the middle class in this country. How? They are a net-positive result only to the rich.

It can be a net positive for the rich, however if legalized no. If we provide services and educate...no.

I think I have figured out one thing most white people are afraid of even more than a black guy dating their daughter. RICH WHITE PEOPLE!
I'm half white and don't give a damn about slamming our elites(most of whom are white). What are they going to do, make everyone Serfs again?

Okay...

Old 11-17-2009, 08:45 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Who said it did? Obviously an illegal alien probably won't be a foreman on a construction job but they are taking the manual labor jobs that Americans used to do for a fair wage at a lower wage and therefore stagnating wages and making it impossible for an American to compete with them. Add to that now that so many construction jobs are full of illegal alien Spanish speakers including their Spanish speaking foremen so they can communicate with them an American English speaker is turned away just because they can't speak Spanish and won't fit in with the "brotherhood".

I need to spread the reps, but that deserved one for sure.

That is it exactly!!!

Look, if they can get illegal aliens in to work on commercial aircraft repairs, you know it is getting bad.

One legal can run 25 illegals, for the same cost as 1 foreman and 3 American workers on the books with liability insurance, workman's comp insurance, vehicle insurance, unemployment insurance, additional accounting cost, and most of all, you can't jack them around on payment.

Sure it is cost effective, but at what price to the American economy, workforce, and social services?

Old 11-19-2009, 09:31 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,156,991 times

Yet according to the US census it sates "All five measures of segregation indicate a reduction in the residential segregation of Blacks between 1980 and 1990, and a further reduction between 1990 and 2000." (April 11, 2008).

So...

Did you read the article? Vallejo has become absolutely less segregated. The people however are self-segregating into their own ethnic and racial groups. Vallejo is just the canary in the gold-mine. Unfortunately.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:39 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
I disagree! You are also drifting off topic, again.

We are talking about middle class Americans here. not your agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration