Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 04:50 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I agree with 1. and 2. but disagree with 3. There is nothing ethnocentric or racist about expecting Americans or non-citizens to respect the language of this country enough to converse with it out in public. Granting there are exceptions to the rule.

I used to work for a place where the rule was to speak English while on duty at work. Breaks and lunches were the exception. A memo was put up on the bulletin board to that effect. The only bi-lingual employees that took objection to it were Hispanics. One of them tore the memo off the board and threw it in the trash. We hired no illegal aliens either.
And said employees who snubbed their noses at the English only rule needed to be disciplined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 04:54 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,908,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktalon1 View Post
Again, I don't give a flying fig what they are saying, I simply find it rude and ignorant that they feel it's necessary to shout it to the world at large. As for your name calling, I find it and you rude and ignorant as well.
Well if you go on and post that you were so upset you didn't shop...then you clearly care. Plus I didn't name call, simply stated that it's more malicious to be as disdainful as you demonstrated. You were disdainful (to the point you wondered what happened to your country and were so upset that you didn't bother to buy anything) and that is well, behavior that indicates an ethnocentric tendency. Which is more malicious than holding a private conversation in a different language. So yeah, it's more malicious.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post

Its simple as that. The overt and overwhelming use of spanish is intended to 1) get Americans accustomed to hearing the language and desensitized to its use.. And 2) Indoctrinate their own Hispanic youth to remain loyal to their own culture. Granted there are a small few Hispanics who cannot speak spanish at all. But even they are outcasts among their culture.
I think its to communicate with those people who, you know, don't speak English too well...Living in suburban California, there are PLENTY of Hispanics who speak English only.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:10 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,977,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
I think its to communicate with those people who, you know, don't speak English too well...Living in suburban California, there are PLENTY of Hispanics who speak English only.
That could be the case...But whats crazy, two or three times, I have seen a customer, who happened to be hispanic, walk up to a store clerk who appeared to be Hispanic as well, and start speaking Spanish. And they simply assumed the worker spoke spanish, rather than KNOWING that the person didnt speak English too well. They didnt know whether she spoke english well or not, they merely made a supposition based on skin tone. assuming that because they were the same skin color, they each spoke spanish. And they did. Which iterates the impression that they are quite adept at preserving and proliferating their own unique culture.

You know how I know this is the case?...lol..get this: I used to work with a consortium of different cultures, including hispanics. And it just so happens that I can speak and understand spanish with a fair degree of fluency. So I would hear my Hispanic coworkers speaking to one another in Spanish, or speaking to a Hispanic customer in Spanish, and I would think nothing of it. One day I had decided to try my hand at conversing with one of my coworkers. In Spanish, I asked how she was doing, to get the ball rolling. She stared at me, smiled and refused to converse in Spanish...lmao. After two or three times of wondering "What gives, why the sudden refusals to speak spanish?"...I realized that it was because I, as a non Hispanic, was not worthy to them of conversing and interacting with them in "their" language. Despite that those three young ladies spoke to one another in Spanish all the time.

Last edited by solytaire; 11-20-2009 at 05:20 PM..

Old 11-20-2009, 05:16 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,322,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Baloney! I gave a couple of examples of that not being true many times. I have seen entire families come into a store and converse in nothing but Spanish all the time. Were they all illiterate in English. I don't think so!

Old 11-20-2009, 05:18 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
its not, but if the race card works you keep trying. whole lota white guilt and self hatred in america. smart people know how to turn that into cash and some pretty good sex-- fast.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
That could be the case...But whats crazy, two or three times, I have seen a customer, who happened to be hispanic, walk up to a store clerk who appeared to be Hispanic as well, and start speaking Spanish. And they simply assumed the worker spoke spanish, rather than KNOWING that the person didnt speak English too well. They didnt know whether she spoke english well or not, they merely made a supposition based on skin tone. assuming that because they were the same skin color, they each spoke spanish. And they did. Which iterates impression that they are quite adept at preserving and proliferating their own unique culture.

You know how I know this is the case?...lol..get this: I used to work with a consortium of different cultures, including hispanics. And it just so happens that I can speak and understand spanish with a fair degree of fluency. So I would hear my Hispanic coworkers speaking to one another in Spanish, or speaking to a Hispanic customer in Spanish, and I would think nothing of it. One day I had decided to try my hand at conversing with one of my coworkers. In Spanish, I asked how she was doing, to get the ball rolling. She stared at me, smiled and refused to converse in Spanish...lmao. After two or three times of wondering "What gives, why the sudden refusals to speak spanish?"...I realized that it was because I, as a non Hispanic, was not worthy to them of conversing and interacting with them in "their" language. Despite that those three young ladies spoke to one another in Spanish all the time.
I also gave an example of the same incident in your first paragraph awhile ago. Two Hispanics see each other and they automatically start conversing in Spanish without even knowing if they are bi-lingual or even strictly English speakers.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Baloney! I gave a couple of examples of that not being true many times. I have seen entire families come into a store and converse in nothing but Spanish all the time. Were they all illiterate in English. I don't think so!
That there aren't many Hispanics in SoCal that speak only English? Umm...it's simply a fact, not really much to argue with that.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And said employees who snubbed their noses at the English only rule needed to be disciplined.
Unfortunately the whimpy PC management backed off and never disciplined the person. Probably afraid of a lawsuit but their reasons for making the rule were very valid. Safety issues were involved. Hispanic employees continued to speak Spanish on the clock and they all knew how to speak English.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktalon1 View Post
Apparently, you don't comprehend what you read very well. As I stated, I don't care what they are saying, if it's so loud that it is annoying it's rude. The fact that it's foreign babble makes them ethnocentric, rude and ignorant. To be in America where English is our primary language with foreigners who refuse to acknowledge or respect Americans and our primary language, simply stated, that's reality.
Them ethnocentric? Not really...since you have no idea the intent. It makes you seem EXTREMELY uncomfortable with other cultures. How are they ignorant? By speaking another language? This is not a display of ignorance.

I do read well, and hence why when you state that you were so upset you were disrupted of your daily routine (you couldn't shop, thus a disruption)...the normal implication is that you WANT to understand the conversation. Otherwise, you would have gone on with your normal routine. It's really simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration