Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 08:21 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,909,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And such is highly illegal. Needless to say: I hope to God that the recruiter is punished and Suarez's survivors receive nothing due to the above committing fraud.
That's great. Nice and compassionate there...

Old 01-30-2010, 08:43 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,561,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
that fort hood guy was a scumbag. it has nothing to do with his religion, though some people would like to believe its an "Islam vs US" thing. .
With all due respect, that's certainly not the way I heard it....and I heard it from several media sources in the week or so following the incident. I heard reports that the man (a military psychologist) used several occasions to promote his feelings about the role of the US in Islamic lands, when he was SUPPOSED to be lecturing his fellow doctors on professional matters....and a number of his patients, soldiers suffering PTSD, etc., when they were assigned to him for 'help', ended up getting 'scolded' for having participated in going to a war in Muslim lands. He also got a high, glowing praise from a 'mentor' of his, a Muslim cleric in Virginia, as I recall.

It's pretty obvious that this would all be an extremely sensitive subject, not one that many in the military or out, would want to draw attention to...but "nothing to do with his religion"? Nothing at all?...You mean, he just suddenly 'snapped' under job pressure? Got angry because someone teased him, and took out 13 people? 13 uniformed American military members? Just before he was to be deployed to serve in a Muslim land?.....hmmmmm...well, OK, if you say so. I'll leave it at that.

I suppose you COULD say, if you wanted to, that "Adolf Hitler was a VERY nasty man, who did VERY nasty things, to a WHOLE bunch of people...but none of this reflected anything about the way he felt about Jews; he was just an all-around jerk". However, I don't think such a statement would convince many people...

Thanks for your input, in any case.

Last edited by macmeal; 01-30-2010 at 08:52 PM..

Old 01-30-2010, 09:10 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,145,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
That's great. Nice and compassionate there...
I have no compassion anymore for criminals and their actions. If an American committed a Felony and wound up in prison-----------his/hers kids would be SOL as well concerning said Felon's ill gotten gains.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:18 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,324,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
With all due respect, that's certainly not the way I heard it....and I heard it from several media sources in the week or so following the incident. I heard reports that the man (a military psychologist) used several occasions to promote his feelings about the role of the US in Islamic lands, when he was SUPPOSED to be lecturing his fellow doctors on professional matters....and a number of his patients, soldiers suffering PTSD, etc., when they were assigned to him for 'help', ended up getting 'scolded' for having participated in going to a war in Muslim lands. He also got a high, glowing praise from a 'mentor' of his, a Muslim cleric in Virginia, as I recall.

It's pretty obvious that this would all be an extremely sensitive subject, not one that many in the military or out, would want to draw attention to...but "nothing to do with his religion"? Nothing at all?...You mean, he just suddenly 'snapped' under job pressure? Got angry because someone teased him, and took out 13 people? 13 uniformed American military members? Just before he was to be deployed to serve in a Muslim land?.....hmmmmm...well, OK, if you say so. I'll leave it at that.

I suppose you COULD say, if you wanted to, that "Adolf Hitler was a VERY nasty man, who did VERY nasty things, to a WHOLE bunch of people...but none of this reflected anything about the way he felt about Jews; he was just an all-around jerk". However, I don't think such a statement would convince many people...

Thanks for your input, in any case.
that is why i said "brainwashing"
if this wasnt the case, then why arent the millions of muslims in the united states going out and killing people? its brainwashing. or do you believe you can judge billions of people by the acts of this lunatic or any other who does these things for the same reason? the irish for instance, catholics and protestants killing eachother.. do you think these people are normal and just doing what their religion calls for? catholics killing protestants and vice versa? they've been manipulated into doing stupid things in the name of their faith. and thats what that dirtbag did in texas.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
I have no compassion anymore for criminals and their actions. If an American committed a Felony and wound up in prison-----------his/hers kids would be SOL as well concerning said Felon's ill gotten gains.
would this by chance include the people who started this war under false pretenses.. or are they exempt from your judgment...

Old 01-30-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
that is why i said "brainwashing"
if this wasnt the case, then why arent the millions of muslims in the united states going out and killing people? its brainwashing. or do you believe you can judge billions of people by the acts of this lunatic or any other who does these things for the same reason? the irish for instance, catholics and protestants killing eachother.. do you think these people are normal and just doing what their religion calls for? catholics killing protestants and vice versa? they've been manipulated into doing stupid things in the name of their faith. and thats what that dirtbag did in texas.
ALL societies, ALL religions, and ALL groups have their share of 'dirtbags'. That's a given. What varies is the way in which these 'dirtbags' are regarded by the rest of society. In some groups, a 'dirtbag' is scorned as a pariah; is marginalized, reviled, and prosecuted. In other societies, 'dirtbags' have tens of thousands of admirers; they're honored, regarded as 'martyrs', and looked up to.

The difference in societies isn't in their 'dirtbags'..it's in the place those 'dirtbags' hold in the eyes of their fellow members.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:33 PM

lol are you suggesting all muslims were cheering and doing cartwheels when that wack job attacked those service men and women in texas?

Old 01-31-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
lol are you suggesting all muslims were cheering and doing cartwheels when that wack job attacked those service men and women in texas?
lol no I'm suggesting that a large number of Muslims either approved of his actions, attempted to justify them, or said nothing to distance themselves from him. Several Muslim clerics did speak out in support of him, and a number of others (including family members) made statements excusing his actions, or blaming them on the fact that he was 'teased'. But actual cartwheels? No...probably only 10 or 11 Muslims actually did cartwheels. Cartwheels are considered demeaning in Muslim culture, anyway. They're undignified lol. Dancing in the streets, maybe...but cartwheels? No..that's not the Muslim way....lol

Of course, it COULD have been just 'stress'...not every service member is eager to be deployed overseas, I realize. Get orders to ship out, so you kill 13 people? Maybe. We all handle job stress differently lol. Orders are orders, after all....lol.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:48 PM

Do you know any muslims personally... because im friends with and work with a lot of indian and pakistani muslims, and they all had the same reaction to that event as I did. (anger and disgust)
so where you conclude that "a large number" felt this way is beyond my comprehension.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:36 PM

2,205 posts, read 2,537,202 times
Quote:
I thought about this. A lot. There would be no "ok, get your family together, all your affairs in order, make sure your kids are ok". It's more like "Quit your damn whining and do your time."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration