Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2010, 05:59 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,342,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
Point taken. However, I would still be inclined to speak with my buddies in my native language. Although I can speak other languages, I feel really strange when speaking in front of others who are fluent. I would practice my new language at home with my friends and not be subject to public ridicule. If you moved to the Netherlands for a long-term job assignment - would you feel comfortable speaking Dutch in public? I doubt it.

I agree that people should assimilate, however it isn't necessary to take away their language when talking amongst friends.

My mother-in-law did not speak English in front of me as she was uncomfortable. Now, she speaks clear accent free English. It has taken years to develop that comfort level. Oh - her family has been here since the 1500's. They couldn't convince the settlers to assimilate.
Shame on those settlers then.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:59 PM

2,205 posts, read 2,541,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
you're talking about potential threat; neither of us have the statistics to argue for or against this claim in regards to what percentage of illegals commit these crimes, its just speculation, and you're assuming every single illegal immigrant is involved with some or all of those.
so how about focusing on what we do know...
like 99 million spent in 2007 on anti drug tv ads alone.. or the thousands of people incarcerated for petty possession charges and the billions it costs to keep them in prison..
from 1991 to 2000 140+ billion were spent to curb drug abuse.. yet drugs are cheaper and more easily accessible now than they were then.
drug related crimes increasing, turf wars over drug territory, drug related deaths, property offenses.. increase in organized crime activity as the insatiable American appetite for drugs increases.. and the drug cartels aren't just smuggling drugs.. they're trafficking weapons and people.

oh wait nevermind, some peasant farmer working construction or pulling radishes out of some farm in bakersfield is much more of a threat OH NO
I'm not going to ask for your sources, I know drugs are a problem and has been for a very long time. My "way off topic" solution is to legalize them, take the money out of the equation and all the bad people go away. I will not address this statement in this forum, I only commented on it since you opened that door....

What I will address is this: I came into this forum with a complete naivety of illegal immigration. When I tried to go to the hospital and was turned away because it was completely overrun with illegal immigrants, I got annoyed. When I was allowed access, all the limited medications allotted for that institution was used up the day before, mostly on illegal immigrants. (Don't have a link, it was a conversation with the administration there.) Coming to my hotel (another conversation) with employee: I get free health care, education, no taxes, paid under the table and have no drivers license. My rent is subsidized and I've left my children (a mother) in Mexico. My work visa expired 3 years ago so I have to work three jobs. (All employers hiring illegal aliens). There are so many of us like this, 16 in our house and it isn't fair that we cannot be legal citizens. (ALL in very broken hardly recognizable English and used my Google Spanish translator to really decipher what her problem was.)

Multiply this, say, 20 million times. When I came in here, I did research and did read and am still reading everyday, links to reliable sources, political rhetoric (thats fun to try and decipher as well!) and have come to a fair conclusion that the 16 are not the only ones. I don't remember where I got all the information as I surf A LOT, but will begin to post links that have helped me form my opinion. My story is retold over and over again by others it has happened to so yeah, they threaten my national security meaning my monies are not being secured for the good of the nation, only good to those who are abusing our system in large masses, specifically mass illegal immigration.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Dear Ma'am,

You're keen on your're entitlements.
No more than anyone else's entitlement in here to express and opinion.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:49 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,074,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Yep, there is the arrogance I see everyday. Hispanics are assimilating, huh?

Why would you even make the remark "as long as I'm allowed to stay" if you're not worried about it? Why wouldn't you be allowed to stay if you are a citizen? I just don't get why you are even bringing that up.

Back on topic now or the mods will have all of our heads.
Let me tell what I don't get. You ask me a question, I answered it. Then you ask me the same question all over again. You need to stop this. How many posts do you need with the same information? I'm not gonna answer it differently. Do you even THINK that you are intimidating me with your doubts? Call ICE then, do whatever you feel like doing but please do not ask me the same questions like a broken record.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Let me tell what I don't get. You ask me a question, I answered it. Then you ask me the same question all over again. You need to stop this. How many posts do you need with the same information? I'm not gonna answer it differently. Do you even THINK that you are intimidating me with your doubts? Call ICE then, do whatever you feel like doing but please do not ask me the same questions like a broken record.
You never really answered my question! Why would I call ICE if you are a U.S. citizen? Again, you aren't making any sense. Now shall we get back on topic like I suggested before?

Old 01-28-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Do Spanish-speakers purposely speak loudly just to "annoy" others? A few, maybe....those who are immature, uneducated, or who just don't have any manners. Mostly though, no..they speak Spanish because it's easier for them than speaking English....and their sheer overwhelming numbers (in the US) make this possible to a degree not enjoyed by speakers of Norwegian or Farsi. People are going to cling to what's 'easy', until they're forced to change.
Thank you. I could have not said it better... As someone that learned English as a second language, it will always be easier for me to express myself in Spanish. That's not gonna change, it's the way the human brain works.

Most second generation immigrants will speak English better than Spanish. It is very common for us here in Miami to have a conversation in both languages. I speak Spanish and the second generation hispanic will talk to me in English.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
You never really answered my question! Why would I call ICE if you are a U.S. citizen? Again, you aren't making any sense. Now shall we get back on topic like I suggested before?
OH my God I did. I told you that I'm not worried about anything unless you get to be the next US Dictator that deports American citizens born in other countries.

Ms Chicagonut get this: I AM an American Citizen.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
OH my God I did. I told you that I'm not worried about anything unless you get to be the next US Dictator that deports American citizens born in other countries.

Ms Chicagonut get this: I AM an American Citizen.
I am not questioning that, I never did. Just didn't understand your statement about staying as long as our government allows you to of which I asked, why wouldn't they? I still don't understand it. Now can we drop this and stay on topic or are you going to beat this to death?

Old 01-28-2010, 08:57 PM

234 posts, read 242,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam0084 View Post
Helluva good read. I think you have brought more info to my eyes today than I have picked up on here in a while. Thanks for the knowledge!

I've been amongst the undocumented immigration debate for a few years. I just found this website the other day so I figured I'd join the convo!!!

Thank you!

Old 01-28-2010, 09:11 PM

234 posts, read 242,204 times
Quote:
It's all the same to me. If you know how to speak English then speak it in public. Well good for you that it doesn't bother you. I am still entitled to my opinion on it and it does bother me. What is a little thing to you is a big thing to me. A private conversation is one thing but all I hear is people speaking loudly in Spanish everywhere I go. Not so with other foreign languages.
English is only the de facto language of the United States not the rule of law.

Remember that!

Could it be that you're spiting others for your own linguistic handicap!

I grew up in Covina, Ca. and never needed to understand Spanish until I moved to Los Angeles, Ca. Today I'm a novice Spanish speaker. You see, it's not about being arrogant with the English language, it's about understanding and accepting the fact that being bilingual has it's benefits.

Seems more like you have an axe to grind with the Spanish language. I hope you're aware that it's the 2nd most populous language in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration