Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2010, 09:42 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,333,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
That's the term that some people use, use the term of your choice. I don't like to get into terminology debates because that's not the subject here. I'm talking about people who were born here from illegal and legal parents.

Immigrant generations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Then many of those people will move to more tolerant places in the USA and the rest will get used to the racial profiling or occasional beating. I can assure you cities like LA, NYC and Miami will not have this problem in your or my lifetime. Even though I don't look hispanic I have an accent as I learned English as a second language. That is the reason why I would never EVER consider living in other places except for those 3 cities. I always tell my friends that if I ever get lost in one of those racists towns I'll pretend I'm speech impaired or fake a British accent.
Racist towns?

Old 01-29-2010, 10:25 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,069,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Racist towns?
I don't know what other word to use for those towns where people are automatically judge by their color of their skin or ethnicity... diversity challenged town? ethnocentric town? I don't know, let me know which is the best PC term.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:33 AM

2,205 posts, read 2,539,091 times
Back to the topic: The US Army, I think, is needed for better things but I do believe the National GUARD (guard=watching-enforcing laws-turning away anyone doing anything illegal) would be a welcomed relief for our overworked, under appreciated and underfunded BP.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:34 AM

1,213 posts, read 1,633,448 times
Quote:
I don't know what other word to use for those towns where people are automatically judge by their color of their skin or ethnicity... diversity challenged town? ethnocentric town? I don't know, let me know which is the best PC term.
How about 'towns that are concerned about illegal alien infestations'?

Old 01-29-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguer View Post
You are correct. It has nothing to do with skin color per se.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
Back to the topic: The US Army, I think, is needed for better things but I do believe the National GUARD (guard=watching-enforcing laws-turning away anyone doing anything illegal) would be a welcomed relief for our overworked, under appreciated and underfunded BP.
I agree. The National Guard should be the first option. This time around they shouldn't be sent down there to do paperwork and handcuffed from doing anything else.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:56 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,069,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguer View Post
We are not talking about those people. We are talking about those people that just assume you are illegal based on the way you look or speak without being 100% sure you're not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Hence my concern that if/when things turn truly ugly against illegal aliens (which they probably will barring mass deportations)-----------I am very concerned about innocent people (of any race/ethnicity/political definition) who look 'Mexican' being caught in the crossfire between the extremists on both sides.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
We are not talking about those people. We are talking about those people that just assume you are illegal based on the way you look or speak without being 100% sure you're not.
Wow, entire towns do that?

Old 01-29-2010, 11:47 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Racist towns?
Quote:
I can understand Princess's fears: some towns/enclaves have the rep of holding certain 'minorities' AKA 'others' in contempt---------and, not just Anglos hating Latinos either. There are other areas if you are Anglo White: they are 'no-go' areas (especialy after sundown) as well. Parts of Chicago come to mind as well as Wash DC.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:28 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,327,115 times
chicagonut is xenophobic... the same irrational contempt he/she has, was present when the irish migrated here.. her "problem" with spanish was in that time a "problem" people had with the irish accent.. and the irish, in order to avoid public harassment/discrimination tried very hard to suppress or get rid of their accents. its happened to the chinese, italians, germans, Indians (from india), Japanese, etc
every one of these people were blamed for one problem or the other.. they were going to ruin society, disturb the order/peace, destroy the "culture" of the united states, take jobs away from hard working americans, bankrupt the country, increase violence and so forth.
today Spanish is the language that's going to "overtake" English.. omg its everywhere! why wont they speak our language?
in the early parts of the last century, it was German.. the influx of German immigrants and their children led to bilingual curriculum in schools.. "why wont they learn our language? English is going to go extinct! fear!" *gasp*
Basically what is being said now about Mexicans (and other hispanics) was said about every.single.incoming.immigrant.group.in.the.histo ry.of.this.country.
get over it.gl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration