Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are You For Amnesty For The Illegals
yes 25 11.11%
no 185 82.22%
other 6 2.67%
not sure 9 4.00%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 06:59 AM

45,251 posts, read 26,502,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
All of you conservatives who voted "no": remember that it was your hero, Ronald Reagan, who put us into this position with the first amnesty in 1986.
Yes Reagan signed an amnesty bill put together by members from both parties.
It was wrong then and it would be wrong now.
Are you claiming Reagan did the right thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 07:28 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,499,259 times
The current system doesn't work well for anybody. We could really use a new one. Maybe the new system should recognize reality, and the reality is that the percentage of foreign-born in the population is just now beginning to recover to post-Civil War norms that were interupted by two World Wars sandwiched around a Great Depression. Total immigration is going to increase whether people like it or not over at least the next several decades. The adults among us will want to normalize that future so that it can handle things smoothly and efficiently. The children among us will want to stomp their feet.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:35 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,840,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At_Last_2009 View Post
Are You For Amnesty For The Illegals
Illegal What?

Old 04-03-2010, 08:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,875,157 times
I have mixed feelings on this: my heart says, send every darn one of them back. I am a strong Reagan supporter and lover, hubby worked for him, but if he made one huge mistake, that was it, his giving amnesty to the Mexicans.

That being said my brain tells me, there is no way we can deport millions of people, it just won't work..

My humble solution, if indeed it would work, 1-allow a certain number to stay, who? Those who have lived here say, 10 years or more (just picking out a number) they have to be willing to apply for citizenship, 2- Then need to pay a fine, 3- learn to speak English fluently, 4-prove they have been gainfully employed and not have one black mark on any record. I don't care if it some minor infraction, one thing and they are gone;;bye, bye!!!! And, I will add, while they are applying for citizenship, we do not give their kids free college tuition, we do not give them free medical treatment and we don't give them loans to buy cars, houses, etc. I wonder how many would be willing to do all of the above to stay in our country?

Nita

Old 04-03-2010, 08:32 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,875,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
What guy? Obama? I don't think he invented amnesty. Nor has he actually given it to anyone.
no, but he certainly is leaning that way..As I said, Reagan made a mistake, wouldn't you think our brillant Pres and our elected officials would have learned something from that mistake?

Nita

Old 04-03-2010, 08:33 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,746,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Total immigration is going to increase whether people like it or not over at least the next several decades. The adults among us will want to normalize that future so that it can handle things smoothly and efficiently. The children among us will want to stomp their feet.
What does immigration have to do with people illegally crossing our border?

Old 04-03-2010, 08:50 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,673,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yes Reagan signed an amnesty bill put together by members from both parties.
It was wrong then and it would be wrong now.
Are you claiming Reagan did the right thing?
I would never claim Reagan did the right thing. In fact, it's hard to imagine a single thing he did that was right.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:59 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,499,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
What does immigration have to do with people illegally crossing our border?
Go back to Square-1, dude. Immigration will happen. It is a given. Under our current system, more than half of it will be illegal. Maybe you'd rather that it were more than three-quarters?

Old 04-03-2010, 09:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,244 times
I know most of us hate to seee ilegals in this country but really is it that they do not pay taxes or are they taking your money from your pocket. news flash for all the ignorant people here that do not realize what illegals go thru. First I know they breaking the law by working illegally by using fake paper but at the end of the year they do not claim their income tax so all the money the're suppost to get who keep it. And second some people have argue about taking jobs from them the truth is we don't wan't to work for under 10 dlls an hours I know I can't afford it and some times I see my self picking up guy in the corner to go do work around my house that I rather. Let then do. We really need some of this guys who would do the things we don't I know junior is not going to do the shores around the house or mow the yard he is to busy playing video games. I know some of us don't agree with me but I my self do need the extra help, and so of you be using them exept they don't want to reconize it.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:15 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,746,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Go back to Square-1, dude. Immigration will happen. It is a given. Under our current system, more than half of it will be illegal. Maybe you'd rather that it were more than three-quarters?
I was just asking a question. So I guess that you are saying that immigration is not illegal border crossers. That's what I thought, but I know you as a reliable source for the official propoganda. (And that is a complement, really.) It might be wise for you guys to repackage this in a more palatable way before doing the deed for that many millions of criminals. You never know what the unwashed will do if provoked in such a manner without effective propoganda. Especially given the fact that you guys aren't going to ease up on the beating you are doling out at all any time in the near future.

I understand the desire for free votes, and hell, the more slaves the better. But even the meekest and most passive will have their survival instinct kick in at some point during perpetual abuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration