Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2010, 01:39 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Thanks for supporting my argument.
I knew you would like it.

Quote:
I'm not worried. Your worry appears to be based on "what ifs."
"What if" is fundamental to anything that can deemed a probably cause. Several years ago, I was invited by a friend and met someone from an Asian country. Since he was new, I helped this person with errands at times. A few weeks later, I learn, he was here illegally and had disappeared (my friend didn't know that either).

Under AZ law, that would be construed a crime. Be careful what you wish for (almost tempted to reuse the quote).

Old 04-23-2010, 01:42 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Let us say you're on a trip with your family, maintaining your business, following the rules. Then, patrol car comes behind you, flashing its lights. The cop has the probable cause that you're not a citizen, have committed a crime, whatever, and has the right to arrest you on the spot. All would be fine with you, I suppose, because it is the law.
Well now, that would fall under how the deterrmination of probable cause was made which is about the way it's enforced, not the way it's written, so it's consistent with my point.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:43 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I knew you would like it.

"What if" is fundamental to anything that can deemed a probably cause. Several years ago, I was invited by a friend and met someone from an Asian country. Since he was new, I helped this person with errands at times. A few weeks later, I learn, he was here illegally and had disappeared (my friend didn't know that either).

Under AZ law, that would be construed a crime. Be careful what you wish for (almost tempted to reuse the quote).
The only thing I'm wishing for is a set of Vance & Hines Power Duals. And if you fear arrest for what you described, then I'll group you with the paranoid rightwingers who think Obama is taking our guns away.

Why did you not respond to the remainder of my post?

Old 04-23-2010, 01:44 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
So what happens if you don't have a passpport with you. What happens if you are walking and don't have a drivers license or id? This sounds like a movement towards a mandatory national ID card. Sounds like Fascism to me.
What happens? You are taken into custody until means can be taken to properly identify you.

Were you aware (and I only speak from California Law as I have been certified) that if you are unable to identify yourself in the process of a violation, I can take you in and hold you until proper verification can be made?

You probably didn't know that did you? Makes you think about driving without identification doesn't it? The point is, if you can not properly be identified, it is reasonable for the officer to detain you until he can.

Most officers if you do not have such verification will accept a number or the like to process you on any infraction. Consider it a courtesy of their judgment and their responsibility for letting you go on without proper identification.

Other than that, they have every right to be able to identify you as a citizen or an operator of the vehicle you operate.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
It's hypocritical to say that you are for freedom and the Constitution, yet you feel the government has a right to stop you people and demand proof of their citizenship. I thought in the US everyone is presumed innocent until proven guilty. This bill assumes the opposite.
They are, and you are innocent until you can prove you are not. This is not an admission of guilt when held, it is a process of information. To think they should simply let you go when you can not identify yourself is absurd when it concerns a violation.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:50 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
They are, and you are innocent until you can prove you are not. This is not an admission of guilt when held, it is a process of information. To think they should simply let you go when you can not identify yourself is absurd when it concerns a violation.
What - anti coma laws?

If you're not in a coma, you should be able to identify yourself without papers.

Like, you could use someone's rear view mirror to verify who you are.

Cops usually always have rear view mirrors handy.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:56 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,194,417 times
The bad cops gonna love this law...

Old 04-23-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
What - anti coma laws?

If you're not in a coma, you should be able to identify yourself without papers.

Like, you could use someone's rear view mirror to verify who you are.

Cops usually always have rear view mirrors handy.
Explain, you are not making sense.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:59 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,225,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
What happens? You are taken into custody until means can be taken to properly identify you.

Were you aware (and I only speak from California Law as I have been certified) that if you are unable to identify yourself in the process of a violation, I can take you in and hold you until proper verification can be made?

You probably didn't know that did you? Makes you think about driving without identification doesn't it? The point is, if you can not properly be identified, it is reasonable for the officer to detain you until he can.

Most officers if you do not have such verification will accept a number or the like to process you on any infraction. Consider it a courtesy of their judgment and their responsibility for letting you go on without proper identification.

Other than that, they have every right to be able to identify you as a citizen or an operator of the vehicle you operate.
It has become apparent that many on here don't understand the bill in question and the constitution. Not only must you show identification, but you also must prove citizenship. I have no problem with law enforcements asking for identification if they have observed you breaking a law or have a valid reason to believe you have broken a law. This bill, in order to effectively round up illegal immigrants must target people whom the police "suspect" of being illegal immigrants. How can someone be suspect to being an illegal immigrant? Unless you are caught jumping the border, there is no other reasonable cause. Therefore in order for a legal search to occur, it would violate the reasonable clause. You keep on harping on the driving aspect. This bill allows the police to question anyone, not just drivers. You can be in your home or walking down the street. Read up on it.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:06 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Many laws allow police to take action if they have probable cause. This law is no different. The reason for determining probable cause will vary in each case, just like with other laws. The law is not unconstitutional. If police are determined to be unreasonable in their determination of probable cause, then their action (questioning, detaining etc.) can be thrown out because they had insufficient probable cause. This already happens in courts across the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration