Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 09:15 PM

36 posts, read 214,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdue1906 View Post
Plainfield/Avon are about the LEAST diverse areas in metro Indianapolis...and I'm speaking from straight facts, back in 2003 I was cut off by a motorist in a big pickup truck, when I rolled down my window to ask WTF, I was greeted with "F*** you in F****in' _________(insert racial slur)!!" Like a moron, I decided to pursue the driver (a female) and ask them to repeat themselves....that's when they stopped their pickup, climbed down, reached under the seat and pointed a revolver at me......this was turning into the strip mall in Plainfield where the BW3's is....

There is nowhere south of downtown that I would consider minority friendly, and definitely not the sprawling backwards towns of Plainfield and Avon. Hell, you might as well tell the poster to move to Mooresville.
So why do you believe they are from Plainfield or Avon just because they were turning into the strip mall in Plainfield??

I live in Zionsville, yet travel to Plainfield once a day. I also travel to almost all sides of Indianapolis each week. The person could have been from anywhere!!

Craig
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2007, 09:18 PM

36 posts, read 214,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enguyen7292 View Post
I'm looking into moving my family from Portland, OR to Indianapolis due to work. I've visited Indy a few times on business and enjoy the pace of life as well as the real estate prices!

My only concern after to speaking to coworkers from the Portland office who are from Indiana is that they stated Indy may not be as tolerant of minorities as Portland is. Those comments led me to do some research and it seems like Indy has a very large white population with fundamental Christian values.

Although my family is also Christian, I'm concerned regarding how my family (Vietnamese) will be accepted in the community based on our ethnic background. Any input from current residents would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
As others have said in other posts, it's all about who you hang out with. I have friends from everywhere, and I guess I don't see people being treated different, mainly it's because I treat people the way I would want to be treated. So from my experience, you will not have any problems.

Of course, I am sure I can find people that would treat me wrong from all parts of the city, no matter what color my skin is, there is always someone, somewhere that has issues.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:23 AM

83 posts, read 397,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chbartel View Post
So why do you believe they are from Plainfield or Avon just because they were turning into the strip mall in Plainfield??

I live in Zionsville, yet travel to Plainfield once a day. I also travel to almost all sides of Indianapolis each week. The person could have been from anywhere!!

Craig
Point taken. Fact is however, living in Indianapolis for a few years, visiting and driving EVERYWHERE in the metro area (I like to sightsee), I never had an experience like that anywhere else. Therefore, my view of Plainfield is what it is. Add to the fact that the south side of Indianapolis and the surrounding suburbs have never been what I'd described as "minority friendly" and just recently (late 90's and into 2000) have become "minority tolerant." Still a LOT of closed-minded good 'ol boys 'round those parts.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:57 PM

246 posts, read 1,057,811 times
Default highliner

I'd have to agree with the poster who advised non-whites to stay out of the south end of Indy, adding that Beech Grove and Greenwood are especially bad for us. If you absolutely must inflict an Indianapolis address upon yourself, stick to the northerly parts of town. Only in downtown Cincy have I encountered more open racism and rudeness, than in the areas I listed above. Good luck!

Old 02-07-2007, 01:20 PM

14 posts, read 59,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highliner View Post
Indy hates minorities like no other city in which I've worked. Sorry to be so negative, but that other poster is probably white. I have been consistently treated more rudely there- as have my colleagues- than in most other parts of the midwest. Stay out of Indy, if you can possibly do so. Your children will thank you for it.
You've got your nerve. Yes, I am white but I am in a bi-racial relationship and 3 of our 4 children are bi-racial. I take offense to your comments and would consider you racist just by your posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdue1906 View Post
Plainfield/Avon are about the LEAST diverse areas in metro Indianapolis...and I'm speaking from straight facts, back in 2003 I was cut off by a motorist in a big pickup truck, when I rolled down my window to ask WTF, I was greeted with "F*** you in F****in' _________(insert racial slur)!!" Like a moron, I decided to pursue the driver (a female) and ask them to repeat themselves....that's when they stopped their pickup, climbed down, reached under the seat and pointed a revolver at me......this was turning into the strip mall in Plainfield where the BW3's is....

There is nowhere south of downtown that I would consider minority friendly, and definitely not the sprawling backwards towns of Plainfield and Avon. Hell, you might as well tell the poster to move to Mooresville.
Your incident was over 3 years ago? The area has grown immensely since then. There are probably over 3,000 new homes there just since 2003!!! The area (and I live there NOW) is hugely diverse! I (being white) am the minority in my neighborhood of 550 new homes!

Furthermore, your incident, while unfortunate and hateful, was not necessarily with a resident of the area. Probably was, but there are racists everywhere you go. I would hate to be judged as a community based on one disrespectful idiot (the person who threatened you...).

Old 02-07-2007, 02:18 PM

2 posts, read 8,727 times
Hi
long time reader, first time poster.
Ok, I lied. just found this today.

I can't help but notice all the threads related to the treatment/acceptance of minorities in Indy. Having yet to browse other city forums, I guess I don't know if it's specific to Indy.

I'm relocating to Birmingham, Al, actually; but have lived in IN twice, from 1975-1984 and 1998-2006. The first time was in Carmel from 2nd to 9th grades, while the other time was working at Conseco and living in Washington Twnshp.

I thought Carmel was quite racist as a youngster. But back then it seemed all the outlying areas hated us. Washingtonship was terrific, imo, with respect to racial relations. But I'm white, so take that with a grain of salt. Get it? Salt. I sleigh me.
Over that period of time the entire country is changing and homogenizing. I suspect B'ham, AL is now more progressive than M'boro, TN was from 1984-1998.

I just wish more people would move to Wash Twnshp so we could sell our home!

Carry on.

Old 02-18-2007, 12:18 AM

401 posts, read 2,606,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enguyen7292 View Post
I'm looking into moving my family from Portland, OR to Indianapolis due to work. I've visited Indy a few times on business and enjoy the pace of life as well as the real estate prices!

My only concern after to speaking to coworkers from the Portland office who are from Indiana is that they stated Indy may not be as tolerant of minorities as Portland is. Those comments led me to do some research and it seems like Indy has a very large white population with fundamental Christian values.

Although my family is also Christian, I'm concerned regarding how my family (Vietnamese) will be accepted in the community based on our ethnic background. Any input from current residents would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Not sure how I got on this thread but reading all of these posts and stuff, I wouldnt draw you away from Indy or anything because I dont know alot about it. Im in Ohio and if youre not completely set on Indy , I would HIGHLY suggest Cleveland. It is one of the most diverse cities in America. The city is kind of going downhill, but like I said in terms of diversity, it is like a Chicago or New York. Blacks (close to majority in city and suburbs), Italians, Chinese, Japanese, Greeks, Korean, Vietnamese, Hispanics, Cubans, Russians, Polish, you name it and Cleveland has it. Just a suggestion in case your not totally set on Indy

Old 05-20-2007, 03:09 AM

246 posts, read 1,057,811 times
Default highliner

Hell yes, I've got my nerve, and I've got my color too! And I won't change it for you! PS: Tell your crosser hi for me. I hope every racist like you resents my comments. Its a whole new century- deal with it!

Old 05-21-2007, 12:30 PM

14 posts, read 59,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highliner View Post
Hell yes, I've got my nerve, and I've got my color too! And I won't change it for you! PS: Tell your crosser hi for me. I hope every racist like you resents my comments. Its a whole new century- deal with it!
HAHAHA! Crosser? And you call me racist? I love it. It's people like you that keep racism alive! Can't take the heat so you blame your faults on the Whites. Go ahead. That's ok. You are just putting yourself in the minority category with your attitude. Most people have moved on and want to get past racism. You, obviously, are not one of the majority.

Too bad. You'll never get that chip off your shoulder if you keep tagging the white race with your issues. You have to deal with them, we can't do it for you.

Old 05-21-2007, 01:08 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,756,420 times
Namecalling stops now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana