Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 07:52 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,981,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdue1906 View Post
Plainfield/Avon are about the LEAST diverse areas in metro Indianapolis...and I'm speaking from straight facts, back in 2003 I was cut off by a motorist in a big pickup truck, when I rolled down my window to ask WTF, I was greeted with "F*** you in F****in' _________(insert racial slur)!!" Like a moron, I decided to pursue the driver (a female) and ask them to repeat themselves....that's when they stopped their pickup, climbed down, reached under the seat and pointed a revolver at me......this was turning into the strip mall in Plainfield where the BW3's is....

There is nowhere south of downtown that I would consider minority friendly, and definitely not the sprawling backwards towns of Plainfield and Avon. Hell, you might as well tell the poster to move to Mooresville.
What a bizarrely one-sided story to share! Regardless of what ethnicity you are or where you are in this country, you should know better than to be so confrontational - that was indeed moronic - you shouldn't continue to use this as an example of what's wrong with other people (or an area) since it really reveals what's wrong with you. People have been shot for doing less than you did.

There's bad drivers everywhere, and occasionally good drivers make mistakes. Someone that not only reacts by rolling down a window to yell expletives but who also then proceeds to follow/stalk the other party into a parking lot for further confrontation is asking for big time trouble. You probably scared the heck out of the lady, she probably thought you were some nutcase who might attack her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 08:20 AM

197 posts, read 1,065,230 times
South American here living with my wife and son in Greenwood....for the past 3 Years, we never had a single problem. Very friendly area, great place to live and raise a family.

There is a family from India in the same street that we live and they also have only good things to say about Greenwood.

I lived in Columbus, IN (30 miles south of Indy) and had no problems either.

There are so many international companies in Indiana and it's getting more diverse every day. Indy was classified as the #7 best city for blacks to live from the whole USA, that's very diverse friendly. # 1 by the way is Washington, DC.

It all depends on YOUR attitude with your neighbors and the community.

Old 05-28-2007, 03:26 PM

81 posts, read 333,092 times
From my experience living in Indianapolis from 1988-2003 it is VERY conservative with high regards to family and christian values, which is always a good thing in my book Thus, there a quite a few cities that are more minority friendly.

The city is not really diverse, pretty much black and white only. It is very segregated with blacks living in the central third of the city, liberal elitist whites on the northern third and working class whites in the southern third.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:25 PM

29 posts, read 149,942 times
I lived on the west side of Indy and worked on the north side for several years. There are many minority friendly areas but I would not recommend the south side or south-west sides of town. Stay away from Mooresville, Martinsville, and other areas close by, I am aware of several racial-related crimes/issues in that area. As like most of Indiana, you will find mostly Christian conservatives as well. I found the best bet was to keep my mouth shut in conversations regarding politics and religion in Indiana.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:38 PM

83 posts, read 397,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
What a bizarrely one-sided story to share! Regardless of what ethnicity you are or where you are in this country, you should know better than to be so confrontational - that was indeed moronic - you shouldn't continue to use this as an example of what's wrong with other people (or an area) since it really reveals what's wrong with you. People have been shot for doing less than you did.

There's bad drivers everywhere, and occasionally good drivers make mistakes. Someone that not only reacts by rolling down a window to yell expletives but who also then proceeds to follow/stalk the other party into a parking lot for further confrontation is asking for big time trouble. You probably scared the heck out of the lady, she probably thought you were some nutcase who might attack her.
So you're trying to tell me that I'M in the total wrong.....never mind the inappropriate racial slur leveled at ME after the DRIVER was in the WRONG and almost caused a SEVERE accident to happen.....RIGHT.............GTFOH.....

Many people's idea of "diversity" in metro Indianapolis is having two or three people that live in their subdivision that happen to be minority; all is a sudden it's "my neighborhood is so diverse, blah, blah, blah"....the numbers don't lie:

Plainfield town, Indiana - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder

Yeah...a town that 95.1% white, 2.2% black, 1.1% Latino, and 0.9% Asian is diverse. Please. Just because a minority happens to live in your vinyl village subdivision does not mean your city or town is diverse.

And to the original poster, it's just like a typical Hoosier: find a way to defend the racist redneck. Not shocking at all.

Last edited by Purdue1906; 06-04-2007 at 04:46 PM..

Old 06-04-2007, 10:01 PM

2 posts, read 11,926 times
For the most part, Indianapolis varies when it comes to the acceptance of minorities - some areas are completely open and some are closed minded. I would recommend that you look into Carmel, a large north side suburb. Carmel has a significant Asian population although it's primarily Chinese and Koreans. Carmel and Fishers are generally more diverse and minorities are generally accepted. Zionsville may seem like an attractive suburb but it is a community that is struggling with minority acceptance. Most of the minorities that aren't Hispanic or Black all end up living on the North Side of Indianapolis.

Best of Luck!

Old 06-06-2007, 02:13 PM

3 posts, read 13,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post

Yea but one might say that she was the nutcase calling a black guy the N word especially when she is the one who accidently or otherwise cut in off to begin with. In the black community if he would have been a REAL N---a she may well have been the one shot for yelling out that word.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:47 AM

2 posts, read 10,117 times
Apparently Indianapolis does have some things going for it in regards to minority relations.

According to the June 2007 issue of Black Enterprise Magazine, Indianapolis is the eighth best city in the nation for African Americans.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:18 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,057,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highliner View Post
Indy hates minorities like no other city in which I've worked. Sorry to be so negative, but that other poster is probably white. I have been consistently treated more rudely there- as have my colleagues- than in most other parts of the midwest. Stay out of Indy, if you can possibly do so. Your children will thank you for it.
I DO SOME WHAT AGREE WITH YOU I HAVE LIVED IN PLAINFIELD SINCE 94 AND I WILL TELL YOU PLAINFIELD HAS HAD A BAD EXPERIENCE WITH SOME MINORITIE GROUPS. -THEY MAINLY CAUSES A LOT OF TROUBLE. PLAINFIELD HAS ASSERTED IT SELF WITH THE MUSLIM COMMUNITY BEING THAT THEIR IS A MOSQUE IN TOWN AND A LARGE MUSLIM POPULATION

Old 07-09-2007, 01:26 PM

246 posts, read 1,056,937 times
Default highliner

I don't see how you could really agree with me, as I am one of those trouble making N----'s. Why does it trouble you so, that we wish merely to be treated like the human beings that we are? Jim Crow is dead, so please come to terms with it- and us. In the long run, you are only hurting yourself with a white, ethnocentric, jingoist attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana