Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 01:36 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times

Advertisements

I lived in Indiana the first 40 years of my life, and I never thought I had an accent (people from IN are the only people who speak correctly, right??)

Now, after living in several different states, I have become very aware of my "Hoosier twang." Some examples I've noticed:
Git instead of get.
Pin instead of pen.
Melk instead of milk.
Gunna instead of going to.

What are some other words you know of that Hoosiers (or midwesterners in general) pronounce differently than people in other areas of the country do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2019, 02:21 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
worsh and Worshington

Old 11-26-2019, 04:25 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,202,043 times
My maternal grandmother grew up on a farm near Terre Haute and moved to Detroit as a young woman. She's been gone for many years now, but I remember that she liked to eat "feesh." Smart aleck kid, I asked her if she would like it it on a deesh.

Old 11-26-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
My maternal grandmother grew up on a farm near Terre Haute and moved to Detroit as a young woman. She's been gone for many years now, but I remember that she liked to eat "feesh." Smart aleck kid, I asked her if she would like it it on a deesh.
That's funny! But I've never heard anyone say feesh.

I thought of another Hoosierism: crick for creek. And it may have been just my mom (lifelong Hoosier), but she always pronounced the state flower "piney." (peony). That one still drives me batty! She also has some weird way she says Hawaii, but I can't even reproduce it!

Old 11-27-2019, 04:44 AM

307 posts, read 255,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
That's funny! But I've never heard anyone say feesh.

I thought of another Hoosierism: crick for creek. And it may have been just my mom (lifelong Hoosier), but she always pronounced the state flower "piney." (peony). That one still drives me batty! She also has some weird way she says Hawaii, but I can't even reproduce it!

My grandma used to call them "pineys" too! I used to say "warsh' and "Warshington" when I was a kid.

As far as the others: I've always said milk not melk; pin for both pin and pen; git for both git and get; gonna (nut gunna) for "going to"; I also say "wanna" for "want to".

I live in NE Indiana (close to Ohio and Michigan) though so we don't have a lot of (if any) "twang" in our accents.

Old 11-27-2019, 02:58 PM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times
I was stationed at Bunker Hill Air Force Base (later renamed Grissom, after the astronaut) in the first half of the 60s.

It wasn't far from the town of Peru (hometown of the great Cole Porter), pronounced Pee'-rue. One airman on the base was from the town of Brazil, pronounced Bray'-zill. Another was from Russiaville (so small we couldn't find in on the map, but he swore it existed) pronounced Rue-see'-a-ville.

And we weren't far from the state of Illinois, pronounced Ill-a-noize'.

Last edited by karlsch; 11-27-2019 at 03:18 PM..

Old 11-27-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
I was stationed at Bunker Hill Air Force Base (later renamed Grissom, after the astronaut) in the first half of the 60s.

It wasn't far from the town of Peru (hometown of the great Cole Porter), pronounced Pee'-rue. One airman on the base was from the town of Brazil, pronounced Bray'-zill. Another was from Russiaville (so small we couldn't find in on the map, but he swore it existed) pronounced Rue-see'-a-ville.

And we weren't far from the state of Illinois, pronounced Ill-a-noise'.

Interesting. As I said, I lived in IN over 40 years, and everyone I know pronounces Peru and Brazil just as the countries are pronounced. And the 3rd has always been pronounced ROOSH-aville in my experience. But who knows??

Old 11-27-2019, 06:20 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
Interesting. As I said, I lived in IN over 40 years, and everyone I know pronounces Peru and Brazil just as the countries are pronounced. And the 3rd has always been pronounced ROOSH-aville in my experience. But who knows??
Pee-roo and Bray- zil are old people dialect. No one under 50 pronounces those towns like that.

Old 11-27-2019, 06:23 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
I lived in Indiana the first 40 years of my life, and I never thought I had an accent (people from IN are the only people who speak correctly, right??)

Now, after living in several different states, I have become very aware of my "Hoosier twang." Some examples I've noticed:
Git instead of get.
Pin instead of pen.
Melk instead of milk.
Gunna instead of going to.

What are some other words you know of that Hoosiers (or midwesterners in general) pronounce differently than people in other areas of the country do?
Git, pin, and gunna are not Indiana exclusive. I've never heard melk.

The previously mentioned Warsh for wash is the first one that comes to mind. Very prevalent in Southern Indiana.

I get a lot of strange looks when I say pitch-ins to out of state friends.

Old 11-27-2019, 08:27 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Git, pin, and gunna are not Indiana exclusive. I've never heard melk.

The previously mentioned Warsh for wash is the first one that comes to mind. Very prevalent in Southern Indiana.

I get a lot of strange looks when I say pitch-ins to out of state friends.
"pin" for pen, "git" for get, and "melk" for milk are all Southern - not Midwestern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana