Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 05:52 AM

2 posts, read 14,501 times

Advertisements

Nikao77,

Bloomington is great for college students. However, after you're done with school, work is pretty scarce. If you are considering going to IU part time I would certainly suggest Indiana University - Purdue University at Indianaoplis (IUPUI). It gives you the best of both colleges and it's caters to part-time / adult students. This way, you could have an easier time finding employment and, since it's in downtown Indy, you could live on just about any side of town. I live in Avon which is pretty much straight West of Indianapolis. It's a very nice town with good schools and lots of amenities. I grew up on the North side of Indianapolis and I would have to agree with everyone else, it's the "happenin" place. But for me, it's too crowded and too expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2006, 12:19 AM

4 posts, read 16,534 times
I'm originally from Avon, IN which I believe has four star schools, I know they have an excellent school system right in central Indiana. Avon is pretty built up nowadays, but surrounding towns would be a great option such as Plainfield, Danville or Brownsburg. Good luck on your search Terri!

Old 09-06-2006, 10:27 AM

9 posts, read 57,350 times
Try the pendleton area, its out of Marion co. thus lower taxes, better schools, etc. West of Marion co. Would be a safe bet if you don't mind a some what rural mind set. Columbus is a half hour comute south, but is a pleasant progressive town with good schools, and low crime. To the north noblesville is also a good bet. Also out of marion county but an easy comute, lower taxes, good schools(safe), Carmel is also in this area, but is known for its snobbery, and is pricey.

Old 09-15-2006, 04:53 PM

3 posts, read 9,504 times
Default a little about Indiana

I have to ask, why are you wanting to move to central Indiana? I would have to think it was job related, because I can't figure out any other reason. Don't get me wrong, Indiana is not bad, but if you like scenery of any kind, you aren't going to find it here.

Most areas, at least the growing areas, tend to be suburbs with homeowner's associations. It basically means that the community has built all houses that look the same, and if you want to paint it or put up a fence, you need to get committee approval. My parents live in one that tells them they can't have a car parked in the driveway overnight, or something strange like that. I however, would not like to live in a restricted place like that - I'd like to think that I can live in my own home without needing approval for any changes I'd like to make.

On the other hand, Indianapolis has a very active downtown with a lot of cultural and fun things to do. It has a pretty skyline and the city has been fixing up the broken-down homes and made a nice community down there. I don't know anything about the schools, since I am not from this particular city in Indiana.

Don't be fearful of what people tell you. It's not that bad.

By the way, my husband happened to move here because it is the racing capital of the world. Although, I wouldn't live on the westside.

Old 09-23-2006, 11:34 AM

4 posts, read 29,907 times
Hi 29pepper:

I have frinds in the area and it's near (but not TOO near if you know what I mean!) my parents home in Illinois. I wanted to move to be closer to them, see them more often without flying home all the time. Also heard great things about the Bloomington branch of IU where I was considering enrolling. No, no job as of yet so not moving anytime soon until that's nailed down!

Old 09-23-2006, 03:04 PM

4 posts, read 16,408 times
Thumbs up I like Bloomington

I work in Bloomington and wish I lived there. It has lots of job opportunities as well as housing (compared to Terre Haute). A friend said a few weeks ago that "it's a buyer's market" in Bloomington. Gas is running about $2.20. There are many choices about entertainment and all the advantages of a Big 10 school in town. The people are friendly and helpful. The weather--well, there's been a few tornadoes and heavy snow storm or two in the past year. The key to Indiana weather is dressing in layers--people say the weather changes up to 4 times a day! The Bloomington countryside is beautiful with lots of lakes and trees. People are more laid back and take things a little bit slower than in the East. The state is conservative/ Republican.

Old 09-26-2006, 07:22 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,485,072 times
I live right in the middle of downtown indy. Not recommended for families but it gives me a perspective on the area. First determine where your job is going to be. Then decide on the length of commute and draw a circle around the job. Within this area, I can almost guarantee a fine school district, a fine home and nice area. Indy is huge and very spread out. You have to limit yourself or you will find a thousand homes to choose from.

The inner circle is 10 miles by 10 miles and the suburbs ring the entire area. If you choose private or church schools even historic areas in the inner circle are within your choice range. For example, Irvington or Fountain Square.

Like a previous poster, the golden (ultra expensive)area that every city has is on the north side. There are also a lot of smaller subdivisions with affordable houses and any real estate agent can help once you figure out your area. Very suburban areas.

I like the south side for the more country oriented approach. Way more affordable homes but you cannot easily commute to the North side from the South side and so on.

Old 09-26-2006, 07:23 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,485,072 times
Addendum: In Indianapolis you can attend IUPUI (downtown)which is the commuter campus for IU and Purdue. My husband got his BBA there and graduated with a degree from IU while working full time.

Old 09-26-2006, 08:53 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,744,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
Addendum: In Indianapolis you can attend IUPUI (downtown)which is the commuter campus for IU and Purdue. My husband got his BBA there and graduated with a degree from IU while working full time.

It's not so cummuter anymore! They recently built new dorms. IUPUI wants to be a residential urban campus. I say bravo.

Old 11-05-2006, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,145 times
best school in my opinion are the warren central- seeger high -plus williamsport and covington. small town living at its best. If you like large victorians or newer built, this would be a nice area,located further west of crawfordsville. Close to lafayette and danville il. for shopping and doctors. terre haute about 40 min away
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana