Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 05:10 PM

8 posts, read 38,847 times

Advertisements

This has been a very informative thread. My husband and I are considering moving out of Northern CA. My husband is looking at a job in the Charlestown, IN area. We are wondering if it is better to live on the IN side or the KY side, and what areas are more likely to be flooded by the Ohio River?

We are debating the pros and cons of staying or leaving CA. For the most part I think CA is getting so expensive, I am not sure we can afford to stay into retirement.

I am ready for a change, I have moved plenty of places in my life, but my husband is not sure about the weather and tornadoes!

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated,thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2006, 10:52 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Don't let tornados be your benchmark. I'm sure you've gone through earthquakes right? At least tornados are predictible. You'll have more watches and warnings than actual tornados. I've lived in Indiana 30 of my 39 years and have been through 1 tornado.

As for living on what side of the river, can't help you there.

Old 11-06-2006, 07:40 PM

8 posts, read 38,847 times
yes, my husband was ina pretty bad one in southern cA, so he doesn't like earthquakes. Have you heard anything about the Scottsburg area in IN? There are some homes we have looked at there, thanks for responding!

Old 11-07-2006, 07:54 AM

1 posts, read 3,389 times
Default stay away from Putnam County

Although there are several good places to go around central Indiana,I recomend that you do not consider Putnam County.As far as homeowners associations,they control Putnam County.Take VanBibber Lake for instance.Once a very nice place to live,VanBibber Lake has become a dump.The association fees of over $100 per year per lot must be paid.Although Indiana law forbids forcing a member to be a member against his or her will.Judge Robert Lowe of the Putnam County Court will issue an order demanding payment of the dues,+ court costs.Should you decide that you don't want to be a member of the association judge Lowe will barr you from the county.Don't do you a lot of good to own land that you cannot go to.This I am telling you from experience.It is all recorded in the Putnam County Recorders Office.The current prosicuter is involved in the sale and importation of marajuana.Once again I tell this from personal experience.Hendricks County is about as bad for the average guy.I recomend that you take a look at Boone County.Or maybe Tippecanoe County.

Old 11-07-2006, 01:28 PM

The Scottsburg area is beautiful. Fact is, Southern Indiana is one of the prettiest places in the midwest.

Good luck and keep in touch.

Old 11-10-2006, 11:01 AM

3 posts, read 26,097 times
Default Relocating to Indiana area in January 07

I recently accepted a job position in Greencastle Indiana, but I would like to finish my degree at Purdue (West Lafayette) and I've been looking on the Internet for apartments in West Indianapolis. However the drive from West Indy to Greencastle to Lafayette seems like a lot. My first thought is Crawfordsville, which seems to be midway between Lafayette & Greencastle. Is Crawfordsville OK? I don't want to live on a farm but I also don't want to live in an area where it's too crowded. Is it minority friendly? People will not have a problem if someone doesn't look like them. Is there shopping like Walmart, Target or Malls? Movie theatres, bowling and health food stores?

Old 11-13-2006, 11:29 AM

Isn't Wabash College in Crawfordsville?

Old 11-14-2006, 08:37 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,153,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyT View Post
I recently accepted a job position in Greencastle Indiana, but I would like to finish my degree at Purdue (West Lafayette) and I've been looking on the Internet for apartments in West Indianapolis. However the drive from West Indy to Greencastle to Lafayette seems like a lot. My first thought is Crawfordsville, which seems to be midway between Lafayette & Greencastle. Is Crawfordsville OK? I don't want to live on a farm but I also don't want to live in an area where it's too crowded. Is it minority friendly? People will not have a problem if someone doesn't look like them. Is there shopping like Walmart, Target or Malls? Movie theatres, bowling and health food stores?
I don't think you would have a problem living in Crawfordsville even though it is far from a big city. Wabash College is there.

Old 11-15-2006, 04:03 PM

8 posts, read 30,429 times
Default HOA's HELL

Please read some articles on what can happen when you live in a HOA controlled housing/condo . and don't move to Anderson.. trashy place, poor schools and .. and ... and ... and ...

Old 11-16-2006, 02:08 AM

17 posts, read 119,760 times
Unless you want to pay a lot for a house I would recommend Westfield or Fishers. They both have great school districts - especially Fishers. If you look in Fishers, stay in the southern part of the suburb where traffic is less and is closer to the city. Carmel is nice but you will pay a lot for a house and the traffic is terrible. Also, the high school is just way too large for my taste. Zionsville is nice, too, but a little out of the way. You really can't go wrong with any of the suburbs north of the city. I lived in Fishers for 7 years and it is a really great place to raise a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana