Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 05:03 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,065,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clloyd View Post
I, too, am from Boulder, CO- I couldn't wait to get away from there! I am an athlete, but I didn't have the right bike or car or shop at whole foods everyday so I had a hard time fitting in. (I loved it anyway- the town and the mountains, not the people.)

To get back to the point- I am now in Delaware finishing grad school, and my boyfriend and I are considering moving to Bloomington for a job he's been offered. I agreed to make the move with him, but am getting mixed messages reading these threads. It seems like the kids hate it and can't wait to leave, while the older folks love it and say it's what you make of it that counts. I think it seems like a nice place- to be fair, most kids that grow up in Colorado hate it and can't wait to leave.

From what I can gather:
IN is probably better than DE but not as good as CO for outdoorsy stuff, doesn't quite have the East coast's culture and diversity, but is probably just right as far as the people and community are concerned. Does that about sum it up?

Just trying to get an idea of what I'm in for

It's hard to judge a place based on other people's opinions, come visit for yourself before making a decision. In my humble opinion, it's not the best place I've ever lived, but it's not the worst either. If you take the winters out of the equation, it's actually pretty nice and the people for the most part are pretty nice. And for the record, I'm a very active, fit, non smoking, outdoorsy person. Best of luck to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 08:10 AM

2 posts, read 4,539 times
I have no doubt that there are a lot of fit, active people there! I hear Indiana is amazing for road cycling, and there are obviously lots of hikers and runners. It must be a stereotype that Indiana natives are fat and lazy, since this thread seems to have gotten people quite defensive, but I've certainly never assumed that.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:27 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,201,971 times
Having grown up in Indiana the first thing I wanted to do was leave. Been there done that and after seeing other states I returned back home in Indiana. I think as a young adult you want to go out and experience other ways but when you see living in other states is about the same as IN you return home for the comfort of the known.

Loved living in Denver with the beauty all around but folks weren't as friendly. Enjoyed living in FL but the non changing seasons was depressing to me. Plus the fact of being a tourist state with higher cost of living prices. TN has lovely scenery but had to drive far to get to most things through a mountain but enjoyed the house boating times while there for sure!

A lot of living is what YOU make of the place you live at. There is plenty to do no matter where you live just seek them out. I must say though Hoosiers are a friendly welcoming bunch.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:00 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,740,264 times
The argument that one shouldn't move to where the icky overweight smokers are just kills me. So glad I left western Washington, where that attitude is now found in droves (with the hordes of newbies coming in from CA, CO, etc.). It's nothing but the newest form of 'acceptable' discrimination in our country. "Are the people nice?" "Who cares? They're fat..."

The NW is famous for being one of the fittest areas of the US...and yet there were (shock! horror!) fat people...and smokers living amongst the Perfect Ones.

Gotta be honest here. Jerks are jerks, regardless of their size or social habits. What's more, they tend to be the ones who are resoundingly rigid in their appraisal of other people. I'm fortunate to have found a community here in Indiana where there is an abundance of kind and warm people...and they trust me not to judge them on frivolous attributes.

My 2nd husband lived in Colorado for a few years and hated it...because it was filled with snobby, snotty people.

Still, this isn't as ridiculous as the poster in the Washington forum who won't move to a wonderful community because of the name (Puyallup)!

Takes all kinds, doesn't it?

Old 05-12-2008, 01:02 PM

3 posts, read 8,402 times
If you are moving to Carmel, IN, that is the only place you will be that is anything like what I would consider NORMAL. I am living in this Hell hole of a city, and I hate it. There is abundant crime, drugs, gangs. I have lived in New England and in Florida, and this city is the most burned out armpit I've ever stepped foot in. I hope you have a really important reason for wanting to move here. I'm dying to leave, but this area is such a money pit, I'm unable to squirrel away enough funds to leave it right now. Stay a way!

Old 05-12-2008, 06:27 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,756,420 times
Of which town are you speaking?

Old 05-12-2008, 06:45 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,681,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russia1513 View Post
If you are moving to Carmel, IN, that is the only place you will be that is anything like what I would consider NORMAL. I am living in this Hell hole of a city, and I hate it. There is abundant crime, drugs, gangs. I have lived in New England and in Florida, and this city is the most burned out armpit I've ever stepped foot in. I hope you have a really important reason for wanting to move here. I'm dying to leave, but this area is such a money pit, I'm unable to squirrel away enough funds to leave it right now. Stay a way!
Wow, great first post With the attitude you have, no wonder you are miserable.

Old 05-18-2008, 02:32 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,071,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMove View Post
My wife, two kids (under 3) and I are considering moving from Boulder, CO to Carmel, IN. We feel as though we have done are research on Carmel (which we like), but we are getting disturbing info on the state of IN from friends that have lived there. I have heard comments saying IN is full of smoking, overweight and not active people. My wife and I get a good feel for IN from everything we have looked up, however people are indicating outside of Indy people are not very progressive (i.e. healthy, active, interested in new things). Can anyone elaborate further? We don't want to find ourselves living on an island (Carmel) never wanting to venture out into a state we are not proud of. Thanks to anyone that can help...
try looking at some pictures of indiana on the Indiana Pictures thread maybe that will help with your decision!

Old 05-18-2008, 02:36 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,071,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clloyd View Post
I have no doubt that there are a lot of fit, active people there! I hear Indiana is amazing for road cycling, and there are obviously lots of hikers and runners. It must be a stereotype that Indiana natives are fat and lazy, since this thread seems to have gotten people quite defensive, but I've certainly never assumed that.
people here in indiana are not fat or lazy but we sure are very active and you will find tons of cyclists here just not on the road on the trails like the monon (Carmel-Indianapolis)or the white lick creek trail(Avon-Plainfield-Mooresville)

Old 06-28-2008, 08:44 PM

3 posts, read 8,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acegirl View Post
Wow, great first post With the attitude you have, no wonder you are miserable.
You're presuming I'm miserable because I speak the truth? My attitude has absolutely nothing to do with the abomination called Indianapolis.

You sound like the one with the misery problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana