Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 10:57 AM

2 posts, read 10,422 times

Advertisements

My wife, two kids (under 3) and I are considering moving from Boulder, CO to Carmel, IN. We feel as though we have done are research on Carmel (which we like), but we are getting disturbing info on the state of IN from friends that have lived there. I have heard comments saying IN is full of smoking, overweight and not active people. My wife and I get a good feel for IN from everything we have looked up, however people are indicating outside of Indy people are not very progressive (i.e. healthy, active, interested in new things). Can anyone elaborate further? We don't want to find ourselves living on an island (Carmel) never wanting to venture out into a state we are not proud of. Thanks to anyone that can help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2007, 01:16 PM

17,765 posts, read 39,802,469 times
Word of advice. There isn't anywhere that is like Boulder in Indiana and it sounds like you already have multiple red flags going up and are afraid that you will be stuck on the island of Carmel if you do move here. I wouldn't think about making the move here until you visit first. Come and see all these fat, overweight inactive smoking Hoosiers all your friends are talking about for yourselves.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but you are putting us on the defensive over here in the Hoosier state already.

I'm a lifelong Hoosier, except for 8 years spent in Chicago. We moved back to Indiana to raise our family. We currently live in Fishers, next to Carmel. I do not smoke, drink, exercise when I can to finish getting those last 10 lbs of babyweight off me (3 kids).

Old 01-18-2007, 01:52 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,080,048 times
I used to live in Carmel/Westfield area and now I'm moving back to Indy metro in a couple of months. Domergurl is right, don't judge the place based on what someone told you, come see it yourself. I think it's a great place, we're excited about moving back. It's not Colorado but it's a nice place and there are a lot of good people there.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:23 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,402,172 times
Not all places in northern Indiana are bad. The northeastern area isn't too bad. Fort Wayne has lots of different people. The only thing that bothers me here are the people from Michigan and Ohio that think they can do whatever they want here. That's my only complaint.

Old 01-19-2007, 05:29 AM

17,765 posts, read 39,802,469 times
I think they should stay in CO. That's just my opinion. They will come here with the voices of negativity in their heads from their friends and Indiana will become nothing but a self fulfilling prophecy.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:54 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,168,972 times
ColoradoMove
I hear similar complaints from French people who say that Americans are all McDonald's lovers, fat, uncultured and uncivilized. Please keep an open mind. I beg thee.

Old 01-19-2007, 08:47 AM

251 posts, read 1,067,557 times
I guess the first few questions to ask are: Why are you leaving CO? Why Indiana? What job/occupation/career are you looking to get into?

Are you going to be working in Carmel or Indy?

Regarding the "fat" people comment: It's funny you said this, as I grew up in Evansville, located in the southwest corner of Indiana. Over the years I heard on the news how the midwest was more obese than other parts of the country. Growing up here and not really going on many vacations I never knew there was a difference. In 2001 I moved to Florida and I will say that people here are healthier. In 2004 I took my g/f back to Evansville for a little vacation. She grew up here in Florida and California. Within two hours of driving around she said, "People here are a lot fatter aren't they?" I about died laughing. I guess what they say on the news is true.

But the more important thing to ask yourself is: Who cares? Who cares if the person living next to you, or working next to you is 20 lbs overweight? How does that affect your life? And if it does, move. Or if someone being overweight affects you that much, maybe you should look into why it affects you so much.

Back to Carmel... I can't speak about that area cause I never visited there. I will say that Evansville is a great city to raise a family in. If I ever settle down (HA!) and decide to raise a family, Evansville will be in the running on places to live. It will be very hard to leave beautiful Florida, but I really enjoyed growing up in E'ville.

Oh, and Evansville (and Vanderburgh county) recently enacted new laws regarding smoking in public places such as gov't buildings, restaurants and bars.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:28 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,168,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMove View Post
Can anyone elaborate further? We don't want to find ourselves living on an island (Carmel) never wanting to venture out into a state we are not proud of. Thanks to anyone that can help...
I really do believe that you should move to Indiana to help build the pride in this fine but humble state. Hoosiers aren't especially proud people but most of them do take offense when people put down their state.

Old 01-19-2007, 06:13 PM

8 posts, read 25,739 times
Wink Not a hoosier

Not a hoosier by any stretch of the imagination, so your concerns
do not 'put me on the defensive' , in the least.
I say, if you're from a gorgeous progressive place like Boulder, Co.,
definately come -- Indy needs people like you!
However, the advice to come and visit first is sound. Don't stop
with Carmel, however. Carmel and environs are nice, but they are
very 'burb' and very conservative. [narrow-minded?]
Be sure to visit Broad Ripple when you come to Indy. It's my favorite
place in this city. It's hip, it's quaint, it has lovely houses and neighborhoods.
From what I understand neighborhoods in the B.R. area hold their value
better than anywhere else (that includes Carmel), because they are unique,
they are central, so you get good convenience to down-town plus
the ambience of Broad Ripple, which is cannot be replicated by tract-home
burbs.
Both Broad Ripple and Carmel are near to the Monon Trail, which is
a wonderful recreational outlet for all the non-fat, athletic residents that you have not yet been appraised of.

Old 01-19-2007, 08:20 PM

2 posts, read 10,422 times
Default ColoradoMovers...

Hey... Thanks everyone for your opinions. We are moving because Carmel, IN appears to be a wonderful community. Positive in nature. A Progressive safe place to raise a family.

I am encouraged by all of your ideas and comments.
Please... If anyone has more info on the state of Indiana, we would love to hear more.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana