Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 03:27 PM

74 posts, read 200,213 times

Advertisements

Maybe those that have a problem with the area or just dont like it should find somewhere else to call home to make room for those that want to take action and rebuild the town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 05:38 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-miss-Ind View Post
Maybe those that have a problem with the area or just dont like it should find somewhere else to call home to make room for those that want to take action and rebuild the town.
Awwww but what I know it is not it's citizens not liking Marion they don't like the people ruining/running it, I agree. While I believe some things on here have been way exaggerated facts still remain:

their school system is in shambles still on academic probation, no teacher's contract for a few years now
unemployment is high
their police force is swelled more then when their population had 2/3 more folks living there
fire department is corrupt with scandal after scandal
more tearing down than building up
what is built new costs more than was projected then no funds to keep it going
mall sits half empty of tenants
empty stores in the Wal Mart plaza
closed their old folks home due to shortage of money a couple of years ago. Then built a million dollar city animal shelter in 2008. But yet the city couldn't or wouldn't help the county keep the old folks home open?

They claim they want new everything but then turn around saying they don't have the money to repair what they do have. Instead of focusing on their downtown and revitalizing it (again they couldn't afford it) they annex & start building up a new city east of the heart of the current one. You know more roads to take care of, more fire stations, more city employees, more city & school buses, more utilities when they can't take care of what they have now? That utopia has never materialized that the city paid one company (employs 10 people) millions to relocate there 2 years ago promising hundreds of jobs!

Let's not forget their own mayor Wayne Seybold's brother scamming millions of dollars out of the good folks in Marion and only getting a slap on the wrist no jail time or charges. The same scam their local paper ran the mayor was on board with helping brother get investors but when it all hit the fan the same mayor claims to know nothing. Only being quoted as to say "Chad is Chad". Buy hey their mayor works with a democrat mayor in a neighboring town apparently.

Marion citizens now have trash fees they never paid outside of their property taxes, higher water and sewage fees either doubled or tripled, higher costs to take an unwanted animal to their shelter, charges now to see their annual Christmas light display, promises of a LOIT being passed in 2009 meaning more taxes out of your paycheck, the new Y's joining & monthly fees are to high for many in Marion to be able to even use the facilities, plus was told they didn't make it fully handicapped accessible. It is in the top 10 highest counties in Indiana for welfare recipients. Here is their latest bleed 'em tactic if you spend your winters outside of Marion, IN but own Marion propety you still have to pay a trash fee whether you put out trash or not!

I encourage others to put facts on here about Marion, IN because it once was a nice place to live. Like many small towns/cities across America 'the people' living there have given up fighting the ones in power. New folks that have moved in are still believing the fluff that has been spread for years "Marion is great". But it will be the people that are left when all the pockets got lined and they move to greener pastures. Sad to see a place I had ties to go down like that. Even sadder is their local paper, the Chronicle Tribune, that won't report the facts only the fluff the elected wants projected which is half truth at best.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:29 AM

If we are to believe what is run in our local newspapers Marion's has a few opinions about the high costs of living there today.

Chronicle-Tribune > Opinion > Editorials > Money down the drain (http://www.chronicle-tribune.com/articles/2009/02/01/opinion/editorials/doc4984e957cb984177967144.txt - broken link)

Quote:
Local residents, dealing with a trash fee, looming local income tax hikes and a national economy considered in crisis, will receive bills for sewage of $25 to $50 in coming months, according to Bill McElhaney, director of Marion Municipal Utilities. That does not include the water portion of the utility’s bills.
Then in the same article it shows the ill spent tax payer's money Mayor Wayne Seybold and his city council keep spending spinning their wheels going nowhere.

Quote:
The quite competent spokesperson, Jodi Perras of Perras & Associates, charges $150 an hour for her work and has billed the Marion utility $7,200 in the past year.

Granted, the detail of the project and working with the Indiana Department of Environmental management is a complicated matter. But $7,200 has been spent without changing the course of the project itself or arranging to some how make it less expensive.
Now here is a Marion resident's take on his property bilings:

Chronicle-Tribune > Opinion > Letters > Letters (http://www.chronicle-tribune.com/articles/2009/02/01/opinion/letters/doc4984e9a541008496214201.txt - broken link)

Quote:
Trash billing a puzzle

Can We Have A Trash Collection Plan That Makes Sense?

Many may have been surprised, as I was, Friday to have received multiple bills for the new trash collection. I personally received two, since I own another property that is used as a rental. However, this rental has been vacant for quite some time. So, I contacted the City Controller’s Office as the bill instructed, and it was explained to me that if you are billed for “Storm Water Run-Off” for an address you will get a Trash Collection Bill for the same address. Now this just seems backwards. For those of us that own rentals, if vacant, electric, gas, and yes, even water are turned off, and not billed. Maybe I am out of my mind, but seems that if there is no one living there to generate trash, there is no reason to pay a bill for Trash Collection on that address.

Had the City thought to align the billing of Trash Collection with those residences that have current water service, that would make sense, as it would indicate whether it is occupied or not.

Additionally, if we are to specifically pay extra for this service now, it needs to actually be done. More often than not, myself and my neighbors that live in the 600 Block of West Second and Third streets do not get our trash picked up after an accumulating snow. We always assume that this is since our trash drop off is in our alley, which is a steep grade, and they don’t want to attempt to come down the alley in the snow. Well, if the alley was plowed, the problem would be solved. However, for the last three administrations there has been this policy of “we don’t plow alleys.”

Bad weather or not, if we are paying, it needs to be done!

Also, now that we are paying extra, something needs to be addressed about the blatant unwillingness for the trash collectors to pick up trash that may have fallen adjacent to the bags. If an animal tears open the bag, and trash falls out on the ground right there by the bag, it should be picked up, not left there to blow in the wind.

I understand why we are charged now, not that I agree, but if we are to pay, let’s get it right.

I would encourage all rental property owners to attend the next City Council Meeting and call for the billing ordinance to be amended to look at current water customers, versus storm water run-off.

Lastly, let’s ask ourselves this question, are we encouraging or discouraging people to want to stay in Marion?
Sam Kincaid, Marion
I provided the letter to the editor's box because the Chronicle Tribune does not leave it's articles up for more than a day or two.

These are facts not fluff on Marion, Indiana. It is hard to add life into a town that is bent on destroying itself from the ones in power. But good luck if you want to try many have tried to no avail for years!

Old 02-12-2009, 07:50 PM

3 posts, read 14,589 times
Do you even live in Marion Jaxson? If so, then why would you discourage people from moving here? If not, then post about your own City and leave us alone! I gave 2 links which also have links so that she could find factual info. On the other hand you spew propaganda that means nothing because (and you make it obvious) you don't like the mayor. I get so tired of people like you condeming everything good that happens in this City as some kind of Republican conspiracy. It's ridiculous, grow up, get a life, and try making a positive difference instead of being negative ALL the time!

Are more police a bad thing? Don't you want to be safe? Are you on the Fire Dept, do have any solid facts that there are numerous scandals? Remember, not your propaganda facts! "My brothers, girlfriends, uncle's, friend said" Why should we not tear down junk houses that cost more to fix then to rebuild? Do you sell drugs from them? Please show me one City in America that dosen't have empty store fronts, the economy SUCKS! Let's not start with the trash fee. Let me explain this to you, don't get all huffy, read it before you dismiss it. You make $40,000 a yr, you get a pay cut and now only get paid $10,000 a yr. Thats what's happened to City's across the State. City's are a little different than you Jaxson. It can't go get another job. They must provide services to it's residents and that cost's money! The State said "lets move taxes away from properties and put them on something thats more fair" i.e. sales tax, income tax, user fees. Trash pickup was not free, it was paid for with property taxes. Now that that's gone, a user fee pays for it. It's not that difficult to understand! $12 a month, $9 for seniors is cheap. The Repub Mayor working with a Dem shows bipartisinship which is a good thing, and something that was hinted at that he didn't do. And one more thing! You complain about the paper only printing fluff and half truths and then you post an article from it to support your pathetic whine! You are a piece of work. Now, you really let me have it, I can't wait to read this! LOL

Old 02-15-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1ColtsFan View Post
Do you even live in Marion Jaxson? If so, then why would you discourage people from moving here? If not, then post about your own City and leave us alone! I gave 2 links which also have links so that she could find factual info. On the other hand you spew propaganda that means nothing because (and you make it obvious) you don't like the mayor. I get so tired of people like you condeming everything good that happens in this City as some kind of Republican conspiracy. It's ridiculous, grow up, get a life, and try making a positive difference instead of being negative ALL the time!

Are more police a bad thing? Don't you want to be safe? Are you on the Fire Dept, do have any solid facts that there are numerous scandals? Remember, not your propaganda facts! "My brothers, girlfriends, uncle's, friend said" Why should we not tear down junk houses that cost more to fix then to rebuild? Do you sell drugs from them? Please show me one City in America that dosen't have empty store fronts, the economy SUCKS! Let's not start with the trash fee. Let me explain this to you, don't get all huffy, read it before you dismiss it. You make $40,000 a yr, you get a pay cut and now only get paid $10,000 a yr. Thats what's happened to City's across the State. City's are a little different than you Jaxson. It can't go get another job. They must provide services to it's residents and that cost's money! The State said "lets move taxes away from properties and put them on something thats more fair" i.e. sales tax, income tax, user fees. Trash pickup was not free, it was paid for with property taxes. Now that that's gone, a user fee pays for it. It's not that difficult to understand! $12 a month, $9 for seniors is cheap. The Repub Mayor working with a Dem shows bipartisinship which is a good thing, and something that was hinted at that he didn't do. And one more thing! You complain about the paper only printing fluff and half truths and then you post an article from it to support your pathetic whine! You are a piece of work. Now, you really let me have it, I can't wait to read this! LOL
I have not "spewed" anything about Marion, Indiana that can't be backed up. You apparently did not read my posts well enough because you are making points in yours that I already did in mine. I gave links and facts you gave a link to the city homepage. Yet you don't want to dispute the posts about babies being stolen and rats that will eat you all over Marion?

I am not a negative person but I won't sit back and let somebody posts accolades only for a town that is far from deserving them all either. I have posted positive things on Marion but people coming here to seek answers to a place they are inquiring about wants to know about jobs, school, housing, living costs, crime. Not so much about Christmas light displays, a Y, a new Meijers being built right off the bat. Those are things they will look into after they see if they want to investigate further. From being on C-D I see many times where the same poster will inquire more about such things after they have the first priorities looked into. They usually get those answers as well.

Yes Marion, IN is having struggles right along with other smaller cities & towns in Indiana with the property tax caps should those struggles not be mentioned? Or would you have people move there then find out they can't afford the users fees, higher sewage bill and failing schools? Perhaps to be put on the already bloated welfare rolls you have in Marion?

As far as the Chronicle Tribune.................... read the start of my post about it.

Quote:
If we are to believe what is run in our local newspapers Marion's has a few opinions about the high costs of living there today.
I am grown up, I do have a life and unlike you I can be civil without name calling and put downs. You don't have to explain anything to me about Marion, IN. I don't know what you are talking about "My brothers, girlfriends, uncle's, friend said" is that how you get your info?

Now if you want to talk about the mayor we can take it to the political forum where it can be debated.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:11 PM

24 posts, read 131,807 times
I also have given facts and websites with information about Marion. Just this past week another plastic factory announced it's closing. No notice to employees or anything. Marion is just a mess. What it needs is a new Mayor who can come in and clean up the mess.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:59 PM

47 posts, read 162,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MzSnapCup View Post
I also have given facts and websites with information about Marion. Just this past week another plastic factory announced it's closing. No notice to employees or anything. Marion is just a mess. What it needs is a new Mayor who can come in and clean up the mess.

But You just cannot stand around and for some politition to come along and do that by him/herself. There has to be a lot of support on everybodies part.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:06 PM

47 posts, read 162,926 times
[quote=marion babe;7096181]You have a very bas memory! Myers is small, very small. It was Custers Last Stand that was huge. Marion, like Los Angeles and most cities, demolished everything and puts up sub-level crap. They have turned the historical Marion Coliseum into the YMCA with a pool and all the trimmings. And why? Who is around to use it. Years ago they shut down Matter Park swimming pool because they didn't want blacks swimming there. I hope Obama kicks some butts and removes all the prejudiced haters in Marion and all cities with this type mentality.[/quote]

That would mean shoving a boot up yours as well. After all if he should be kicking prejudice white people around for giving blacks a rough time and calling them as ******s, than it is only fair prejudice black people get the same punishment for giving white folks a hard time and labeling us as white trash.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:12 AM

4 posts, read 12,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Kokomo is larger than Marion and more diverse even though both rely heavily on factories. Kokomo has more to offer than Marion does because they never expanded past depending on factories. The GM plant in Marion that once was full in the parking lot on all three shifts now probably couldn't fill the parking lot with all 3 shifts combined. Still it has been a profit plant for GM but could be facing shut down since they produce SUV and trucks there. If that GM plant goes down Marion will be a grave yard because of the lack of government leadership for years there.
The marion Gm plants does NOT produce SUV and Trucks.
It is a Stamping Plant and NOT an Assembly plant.

Yes as almost all auto related jobs in the US it has decreased jobs over the years . but new work has been transferred there from other plants and will be from now until June 2010.

Last edited by MidWstGrl; 11-12-2009 at 10:23 AM..

Old 11-12-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidWstGrl View Post
The marion Gm plants does NOT produce SUV and Trucks.
It is a Stamping Plant and NOT an Assembly plant.

Yes as almost all auto related jobs in the US it has decreased jobs over the years . but new work has been transferred there from other plants and will be from now until June 2010.
You are correct it is a stamping plant I don't know why I put assembly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana