Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 04:33 AM

10 posts, read 29,883 times

Advertisements

dear delaura18,
I will try to be fair and honest with this post about Marion. first the positives: Marion as far as shopping,restaurants etc is pretty good and has just about everything you will need. a decent hospital, a VA Hospital, some nice parks, and the small surrounding towns are quaint and nice if you like that.sorry but the positives are a short list.
The negatives: we moved here in Oct last year and bought a home just a few miles from the center of town, we moved her from Florida so i can be near family. a month or so after i bought the place, health department and code jumped all over me about unknown problems with home and the hazmat buried in the yard( point is THEY knew about it, allowed for it to be sold and was waiting for a easy target to come along so they can browbeat them to fixing their liability)i cannot get permits for the home i just bought!!!. dont walk , run from this town!!!!! the government here is lazy, irresponsible and swindlers. I say swindlers because the county is broke yet they have all this tax revenue? it is no doubt a "good ole boy" network so good luck not getting exploited by the local contractors, each of them when asked for a quote wanted to know what high school i went to , am i from here and if i go to their church! dont bother with Marion!!!! we are moving when we can afford to. do not EVER buy a home from Century 21 Kilgore. Majority of their listings (including my home) is a money pit ,a headache and a hazard to the community.do as you wish , but after reading other's replies and now mine, you would be a complete fool to move here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 11:49 PM

48 posts, read 129,449 times
Just wondering what the original poster decided since she said a possible move in late 2009. I tried to read all 6 pages & didn't see a result.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-miss-Ind View Post
Maybe those that have a problem with the area or just dont like it should find somewhere else to call home to make room for those that want to take action and rebuild the town.

I would love to move!! buy my home for what i paid for it and put into it and i will GLADLY move. Sorry , i really do not know you I miss Ind and it sounds like you have your heart in the right place. I would like to build this town back up and add to our community. Now if i can just get the county to allow me to live in a home i JUST Bought the sheriff once owned, get permits to raise it back to code and not get fined for the previous owners lack of responsibility and not have to pay 6+ grand to clean up the buried garbage he left in the yard, so i can borrow money on the land to improve it since the county made the home uninhabitable AFTER i bought it, i can get somewhere. Also if i could get treated like a human being by everyone here ,despite the fact I am hispanic i can show my community spirit.

Hmm theres an interesting concept, help build back up a town that treats me and my family like dirt( not necesarily the people but anyone government affiated), is fining me for nuisances the Sheriff Himself neglected when he owned this property and sold to another ,and take action? Marion claims to have "diversity" yet i talk to all ,hear their own horror stories and feel otherwise. should i being that i was born here and a veteran feel so discriminated against?to me that proves it all, i served my county and returned to the place i was born , i cannot get permits and get punished for others . this town is riddled with "certain parties" that hide in thier good ole boy network.
I will take action alright i'll start with the NAACP and then start chasing out the backward people here that are as smart as a box of hammers making the real heart of this town fight for what is rightfully theirs.why not, they feel empowered to chase me.lets set their tails on fire like they did mine see how they like it.

Marion can be a great place and i want to help it become that, but if i am denied my civil rights and liberties in which i fought and served for then you are not being reasonable.but, i dont have to be a veteran to deserve what i ask, do i? its my birthright! and we also allow others who come to this country in search of hope the same. I defended your rights I miss Ind and you tell me i need to move. you're a lost soul.

Last edited by bewildered homeowner; 09-22-2010 at 04:22 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-22-2010, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSlass View Post
Just wondering what the original poster decided since she said a possible move in late 2009. I tried to read all 6 pages & didn't see a result.
me neither, but i wish her and anyone considering, the best

Old 09-22-2010, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broker-in-Marion View Post
Marion, Indiana is a great place to live. We have excellent schools, great nightlife, and a real sense of community. <mod edit, no advertising>
what nightlife? please explain in full detail. I see none!!!!

Old 05-20-2011, 12:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,839 times
jaxson ? you live in marion ? i'v lived here since i was born now i just got back home from the service fighting a war that should have never started . Glad to be home but now off to your post a million dollar animal shelter hmmmm (wroung their) to be on the point it was 116 grand bowmans built it which my dad was one of them their , so i asked him about the cost and the thing you havent payed much attion too the land was a free offer & and som of 224 grand was given with that they payed for food , meds , and some new gear . But i will say one thing that place is shlt the one over by dana was all donations by the people of this town and you said they charged 25 to drop a dog off i hope you wherent dropping a dog off >animal lover here < cause if so i wouldnt get near me too drop a dog off is pure disrespect they have a live just as u and i , dont be mad speaking my mind and you talk of IWU thats not much here from the students mainly goes to housing and book cost ect ect and some grub here and their but you seem to bring a since of depresion saying that this town is going to shlt well pay attion do some home work its moving slowly not as fast as we would all like but it is moving on but we would be better off with out the mayor (stupid water park) yea its nice but the charge is to great o and fyi we got a new deal among us now not sure why but we have a NHL hockey ring going up by ivy tech hmmm thats odd but im going to leave it their at that

Old 07-13-2011, 10:07 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xarmyvet View Post
jaxson ? you live in marion ? i'v lived here since i was born now i just got back home from the service fighting a war that should have never started . Glad to be home but now off to your post a million dollar animal shelter hmmmm (wroung their) to be on the point it was 116 grand bowmans built it which my dad was one of them their , so i asked him about the cost and the thing you havent payed much attion too the land was a free offer & and som of 224 grand was given with that they payed for food , meds , and some new gear . But i will say one thing that place is shlt the one over by dana was all donations by the people of this town and you said they charged 25 to drop a dog off i hope you wherent dropping a dog off >animal lover here < cause if so i wouldnt get near me too drop a dog off is pure disrespect they have a live just as u and i , dont be mad speaking my mind and you talk of IWU thats not much here from the students mainly goes to housing and book cost ect ect and some grub here and their but you seem to bring a since of depresion saying that this town is going to shlt well pay attion do some home work its moving slowly not as fast as we would all like but it is moving on but we would be better off with out the mayor (stupid water park) yea its nice but the charge is to great o and fyi we got a new deal among us now not sure why but we have a NHL hockey ring going up by ivy tech hmmm thats odd but im going to leave it their at that

First of all thank you for serving our country.

The accepted bid was to Ordat for $669,000.00 to build the building, the 4-H board did donate the land providing the city of Marion ran city water lines to the rest of the 4-H buildings at no cost to 4-H. Check your local newspaper's archives. All total it went over a million dollars.

The Marion Animal Control is not charging a fee for dropping off animals right now but they were. Plus having very limited open hours for the public. We are animal lovers as well which we spay & neuter and take very good care of our own. Some people take animals that have been dropped off by other not responsible pet owners. Sorry it happens but it does.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,385 times
Matter Park pool was not closed because blacks swim there.That is just retarded. Blacks swam there as far back as I can remember and I was going there in the 60's. Pool was old and needed to be rebuilt and city did not want to rebuild pool! No money! That thing was like 40 years old or more when it was removed in the 80's. Quit making stuff up!

Old 03-28-2013, 04:49 AM

14 posts, read 34,851 times
I worked in Marion for about a year. The place is a dump. I think it's probably to say it's one of the worst towns in America.

For the most part, people try to be friendly and have a good attitude but underneath it all lies a very collective depression and "we've given up" kind of attitude." It's not their fault, but the town is dying. Crime is bad, schools are terrible, politicians are corrupt and there is general feeling of decay.

I'd stay far away.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,110 times
Well, have things improved in Marion at this point? I was hoping in the not-too-distant future to possibly move to Marion from Dayton, OH, as a retiree, to be closer to a church I want to attend in Swayzee. Not wealthy or looking for much in the way of nightlife anyway, happy with an Aldi's and some thrift stores. Dayton is on the depressed side, so I'm familiar with all that entails and feel safe enough; I own a home in the east end that I hopefully won't have a hard time selling but who knows. I appreciate any and all comments and thank you guys much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana