Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 05:14 PM

28 posts, read 33,774 times

Advertisements

I think the speed limit should be raised to 60 MPH (Mile Per Minute) Very Consistant and a slightly faster speed to get people moving without endangering people that are merging on and off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 07:15 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,148,400 times
Speed limit on Indianapolis highways is 55 within the circle and 50 between the splits. Not seeing that there was a construction zone isn't going to carry any weight especially seeing the construction equipment that has been on 465 on the west side for god knows how long. Finally, the speed limit is the speed limit until you pass another speed limit sign.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:43 AM

1 posts, read 2,135 times
Default Another speeding ticket

I live on the southeast side of Indianapolis. I was on my way to a temporary job in Westfield at rush hour, when I was pulled over and given a speeding ticket. I rarely go over the speed limit, and only if EVERYONE is speeding too. I was going no faster than anyone else.

I was in the fast lane to avoid merging traffic and a car was tailgating me. There was a break in traffic between me and the next car ahead and I was going to try to get in the middle lane to let the car around.
There was a break in traffic and a car was tailgating me because I wasn't going fast enough to close the gap.

I asked the policeman why he picked me. He said it was because of the break in traffic and I was "unfortunate".
Last month I saw a TV interview with a policeman about speeding on 465. He said as long as you drive with the flow of traffic they won't pull you stop you.
I haven't had a speeding ticket in 30 years and coming up with the money to pay the fine will be a burden, not having a job.
Should I stop whining and just pay the fine, or does this seem unjust to anyone else?

Old 09-13-2011, 10:06 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,604,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelch View Post
I live on the southeast side of Indianapolis. I was on my way to a temporary job in Westfield at rush hour, when I was pulled over and given a speeding ticket. I rarely go over the speed limit, and only if EVERYONE is speeding too. I was going no faster than anyone else.

I was in the fast lane to avoid merging traffic and a car was tailgating me. There was a break in traffic between me and the next car ahead and I was going to try to get in the middle lane to let the car around.
There was a break in traffic and a car was tailgating me because I wasn't going fast enough to close the gap.

I asked the policeman why he picked me. He said it was because of the break in traffic and I was "unfortunate".
Last month I saw a TV interview with a policeman about speeding on 465. He said as long as you drive with the flow of traffic they won't pull you stop you.
I haven't had a speeding ticket in 30 years and coming up with the money to pay the fine will be a burden, not having a job.
Should I stop whining and just pay the fine, or does this seem unjust to anyone else?
Well just like 80% of all speeding tickets in Indiana, it is unjust. First of all, they might as well make the speed limit 70 on 465, because that's what everyone drives. But for you, that is ridiculous that a trooper would even be trying to give tickets during rush hour. I would probably take it to court. If he doesn't show up, you automatically win.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:37 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,759,518 times
If you are considering fighting it versus paying it; figure the cost of your increased insurance premiums into it. Call your agent and try at figure out how much they will be upped. Good luck.
If you'd have been doing 45 you'd have been run over.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:47 AM

3,404 posts, read 3,448,872 times
If cop actually said that, i would fight it. I would state the guy on your tail and trying to get over. You can speed to pass for use to get over to the right. As long as you are near a off ramp you should win.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:49 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,076,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelch View Post
I rarely go over the speed limit, and only if EVERYONE is speeding too. I was going no faster than anyone else.

Complain all you want, it won't help you in court. Cops don't make the law, so anything that cops said is irrelevant. This whole idea that if you go the speed limit you'll get run over is laughable. Doing five over and staying right won't get you ran over and won't get you pulled over. I feel safe enough to say that if you even do 10 over you won't get nailed. I find it odd you don't tell us how fast you were going. Are you going to admit just how fast you were going to "close the gap?" You merged over to avoid traffic, where was this at? What interstate and what mile marker?

Old 08-22-2012, 01:13 PM

2 posts, read 3,627 times
Default speeding ticket on 465 work zone

I also got a traffic ticket in that work zone on 465 S, which had a speed limit of 45 mhp,
while trying to pass some other cars. I certainly did not see that work zone sign. I have not had speeding tickets for many years. To my shock, I found out from the ticketpay site today that my ticket is $416!!! Is this normal? Is there some kind of class/lesson I can take to reduce this (I recall many years
there was such a thing when I was in Texas.) Thanks.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:07 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,148,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_999 View Post
I also got a traffic ticket in that work zone on 465 S, which had a speed limit of 45 mhp,
while trying to pass some other cars. I certainly did not see that work zone sign. I have not had speeding tickets for many years. To my shock, I found out from the ticketpay site today that my ticket is $416!!! Is this normal? Is there some kind of class/lesson I can take to reduce this (I recall many years
there was such a thing when I was in Texas.) Thanks.
Yes it's normal. Fines are doubled when pulled over in a work zone.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:21 AM

2 posts, read 3,627 times
So what about taking driving lessons to reduce the ticket fee? Does such a thing exist in Indiana? What is the deferral program someone mentioned? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis