Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 09:28 AM

47 posts, read 169,063 times

Advertisements

My family just moved here a few months ago from GA and seeing as how I'm not familiar with snow/ice I don't drive often. I only drive to and from work, by taking back county roads and it's only 15 minutes from my house. Last week I had to drive my daughter to Greenwood from Zionsville to a doctor appt and I drove on 465. I NEVER drive highways. However, I got pulled over for speeding. He clocked me doing 69 and the speed limit is 45. Yikes! I didn't if know I was speeding though. The speed signs are posted but every highway I've ever driven on the speed limit was 70 and I have NEVER heard of a speed limit being 45 on an interstate! That's just crazy. Not to mention I was going with the flow of traffic. Regardless, I was speeding. My ticket also stated it was a construction zone! Ouch! I know that is going to be double or triple a ticket now too. BUT....there were/are no work zone signs posted, no construction signs, no cones, no trucks, no workers. NOTHING to tell you it was a work zone. I took photos. Is it worth fighting? Someone told me something about a Traffic Ticket Diversion or Safe Driver Diversion or Defensive Driving Classes that may reduce it? Anyone familiar with any of that? Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 10:24 AM

1,099 posts, read 3,737,257 times
I don't know about those classes you mentioned or anything but I do know that most of the west side of 465 is a construction zone.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:29 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,297,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoax2 View Post
My family just moved here a few months ago from GA and seeing as how I'm not familiar with snow/ice I don't drive often. I only drive to and from work, by taking back county roads and it's only 15 minutes from my house. Last week I had to drive my daughter to Greenwood from Zionsville to a doctor appt and I drove on 465. I NEVER drive highways. However, I got pulled over for speeding. He clocked me doing 69 and the speed limit is 45. Yikes! I didn't if know I was speeding though. The speed signs are posted but every highway I've ever driven on the speed limit was 70 and I have NEVER heard of a speed limit being 45 on an interstate! That's just crazy. Not to mention I was going with the flow of traffic. Regardless, I was speeding. My ticket also stated it was a construction zone! Ouch! I know that is going to be double or triple a ticket now too. BUT....there were/are no work zone signs posted, no construction signs, no cones, no trucks, no workers. NOTHING to tell you it was a work zone. I took photos. Is it worth fighting? Someone told me something about a Traffic Ticket Diversion or Safe Driver Diversion or Defensive Driving Classes that may reduce it? Anyone familiar with any of that? Thanks for the help!
You have got to be kidding. How can you not have noticed 465 on the west side is a work zone?

Old 02-12-2011, 12:34 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,738,186 times
just pay it and watch more closely next time.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:39 PM

18 posts, read 41,346 times
I don't know man. I would get a good local lawyer that could talk to the D.A. to get that dropped. I was driving down the higway by tghe my house doing the 55 posted limit. A truck of smiliar size and color in front of me pulled in front of me and did 70+. I was busted for the ticket... I went to a traffic lawyer and they were able to drop the ticket for$300. It is expensive but a $180 ticket + a year or more of elevated insurance would have been a lot more expensive.

P.S> Remeber, if you pay it outright you insurance will go up. You might want to look into a prayer for judgement. Generally it can only be used once although if they allow it the ticket will be placed on a hold. If you do get another a nother ticket you will be held accountable for both the new one and the old one. I wish you good luck because a ticket can destroy your financial situation.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk

Old 02-12-2011, 01:43 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,482,498 times
Well since I think 465 outside the construction zone is 55 (hahaha), pretty much any excuse is not going to be great. 69 in a 55 zone is still a ticket. My husband always uses the traffic flow excuse when I ask him to slow down. I wish the cop had given him the ticket instead of you.

But nothing ventured nothing gained.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:38 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,607,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
You have got to be kidding. How can you not have noticed 465 on the west side is a work zone?
Actually, there is literally no construction from 10th street to the Sam Jones Expressway. I noticed this today as I went to the airport and had no idea why the speed limit was 45. All that needs to be done is the opening of the left lane and it would be complete. Anyway the speed limit is ridiculous. 55 MPH should be the construction zone speed limit and the rest of the freeway should be 65 MPH.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:12 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,539,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
55 MPH should be the construction zone speed limit and the rest of the freeway should be 65 MPH.
That would be inconsistent with the interstate speed limit in most metros. You an count on a 55 mph speed limit in most cities and either 65 or 70 in the rural areas. Construction zone speeds are almost always lower than 55, even in rural areas.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:14 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,607,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
That would be inconsistent with the interstate speed limit in most metros. You an count on a 55 mph speed limit in most cities and either 65 or 70 in the rural areas. Construction zone speeds are almost always lower than 55, even in rural areas.
Except Los Angeles and Detroit that I can think of, and maybe Atlanta.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:41 PM

466 posts, read 701,110 times
Interstates often have speed limits below 70, especially inside cities. I-65 is 55 inside Indianapolis and goes down to 50 once you get to downtown. I-465's normal speed limit is always 55 as far as I've seen.

If you were driving from Zionsville to Greenwood, I imagine you were on I-465 on the westside. After 38th street or so there is construction and it drops to 45.

I just drove it 4 hours ago when I went to Avon to run some errands. There are plenty of construction signs (the orange diamonds) and 45 speed limit signs and have been for quite awhile. When I moved here in 2008 that whole stretch was under construction and still is to this day.

Even if no trucks or workers are present the construction zone is valid unless it has one of those "Work zones when lights flashing" signs, which I-465 does not.

I'm not sure what you took photos of, but the signs were present often enough to be seen.

I speed often as well, going with traffic (which incidentally today was 65-70 even in the work zone), so I do not post this to chastise you, but I'm letting you know that you will be wasting your time and money if you plan to fight this ticket with the reasons you listed above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis