Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 03:44 AM

392 posts, read 1,068,319 times

Advertisements

I am a 28-year old single male with no kids or pets looking to relocate from northwestern Pennsylvania, possibly to Indianapolis. I am somewhat familiar with the areas around I-74 south and east of Indy going toward Cincinnati (I used to work as a driver down there), but don't know too much about the city or immediate suburbs themselves.

Anyway...I found a place close to downtown Indy that I am interested in renting, but I would like the locals' HONEST input about how that neighborhood is. The apt. is on Belmont Avenue, directly across the street from a school which I believe is called Wendell Phillips School, 46222 zipcode.

Any and all input is appreciated. If there's any other information I might have left out or any questions anyone wants to ask me...feel free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 04:49 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,105 times
Can be a rough very rough area so be careful.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:03 AM

1,312 posts, read 1,870,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badguykc View Post
...Anyway...I found a place close to downtown Indy that I am interested in renting, but I would like the locals' HONEST input about how that neighborhood is...
1. My Dad is from Erie, PA
2. 46222 was where I was raised, and where you're looking isn't too far at all from where I used to live (close to Washington and Tremont).

If you are looking for the quintessential "Safe" neighborhood, you could probably find better in or around the city. It's by no means a "death wish" to move into the neighborhood, but it will be a little "rough around the edges", so to speak. If you want trouble, you can find it. If you don't want trouble and you keep your smarts about you, there should be no problem.

Since public transportation is virtually non-existent in Indy, that's a fairly decent spot to be in terms of getting around. Heading due South will take you to I-70, which leads you West and to the Airport. Or heading East over the river leads you to I-65 which gets you North and South (along with Meridian Street) and I-70 in Downtown takes you further East. Taking the interstates (especially where you are looking) is going to be the easiest and fastest way to the North, East, and South sides along with I-465 (loop around the city). Heading West it might be just as easy, or quicker, to take 10th Street or 16th Street to the Westside, as opposed to hopping on I-70.

The next major street North of that location is 16th Street. Although the Indianapolis Motor Speedway is still a few miles West of the location you're looking at, come May and August 16th Street may become a hassle for you. Plus the Mini-Marathon route heads by this neighborhood (16th Street) if I'm not mistaken. Nothing major to be concerned about here, but be prepared for street closures/events throughout May.

Also, 16th and Tremont = Long's Bakery

The location you're looking at puts you within a 5 minute drive of Monument Circle (heart of the city/state) and a 10-15 bike ride. 10-15 minute bike ride down to the Zoo and White River State Park. Victory Field is within that same time frame as well as the NCAA, Indiana State Museum, IMAX Theater, various other things... like sports.

And speaking of sports; Indy is a good place to be if you like watching, playing, or being around sports of all kinds. NFL, NBA, Minor league baseball and hockey, NCAA sports and tournaments, motor sports... I think that's it? If you're REALLY into college sports, particularly the Big 10 (technically 12 teams) then IU and Purdue are both about an hour drive from the city and worth checking out at some point in time while living in Indy.

I hope this helps some and I didn't just ramble.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:13 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Can be a rough very rough area so be careful.
To the OP Can Be a Rough Area is a little bit different than it is a rough area.
The area in general is spotty but as someone said if you mind your own business your in much better shape.

Another area i would recommend looking into is the Fall Place Urban area.
Recently Revitalized with some brand new homes packed together for a true Urban Feel.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
1. My Dad is from Erie, PA
Wow, that's awesome! Do you know where abouts in Erie is he from? I live just east of there now, in Harborcreek.

Some parts I left out from my first post: Jobs (of course) are an issue, but I sell things through eBay and I am also proficient at cleaning, odd jobs, and plumbing, so I plan to supplement my income by doing those things.

I also heard somewhere that Indianapolis is America's most-affordable large city...does that pertain only to housing or is everything else (gas, groceries, other necessities) fairly cheap as well?

Public transportation is basically a non-factor for me...I own a vehicle and plan to bring it from PA to Indiana if and when I relocate. Does Indiana do vehicle inspections or emissions testing of any sort? Also, as far as car insurance goes, I know it varies by ZIP code usually, but I'm just curious overall as to what I might expect to pay living in Indianapolis.

As far as lifestyle goes, I am NOT into the drug scene at all (heck, I rarely even drink) but I LOVE sports (proud Cincinnati Bengals and Reds fan here) and socializing with other fans of all teams and sports. My friend is a Pirates (and Indianapolis Indians) fan and has told me about Victory Field.

I thank everyone for the help and input, and welcome any further suggestions.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:39 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,229 times
Quote:
Wow, that's awesome! Do you know where abouts in Erie is he from? I live just east of there now, in Harborcreek.

Some parts I left out from my first post: Jobs (of course) are an issue, but I sell things through eBay and I am also proficient at cleaning, odd jobs, and plumbing, so I plan to supplement my income by doing those things.

I also heard somewhere that Indianapolis is America's most-affordable large city...does that pertain only to housing or is everything else (gas, groceries, other necessities) fairly cheap as well?

Public transportation is basically a non-factor for me...I own a vehicle and plan to bring it from PA to Indiana if and when I relocate. Does Indiana do vehicle inspections or emissions testing of any sort? Also, as far as car insurance goes, I know it varies by ZIP code usually, but I'm just curious overall as to what I might expect to pay living in Indianapolis.

As far as lifestyle goes, I am NOT into the drug scene at all (heck, I rarely even drink) but I LOVE sports (proud Cincinnati Bengals and Reds fan here) and socializing with other fans of all teams and sports. My friend is a Pirates (and Indianapolis Indians) fan and has told me about Victory Field.

I thank everyone for the help and input, and welcome any further suggestions.
Indiana doesn't have much emission controls heck were still living off Coal.
Although our downtown Coal Power Plant will be converted to Natural Gas soon.
Also we are the most affordable large city in America or lowest Cost of living.
We don't have the best Public Transportation but then again we seem to handle the 400k visitor Indy 500 every year just fine. Super Bowl 46 this year too.
Gas Prices in Indy are interesting they are at the national average or extremely low. The East side of Indy right now has 2.99$ a gallon gasoline. Gasoline sometimes will jump from the lows 20 cents in a day to match up with the national average so your best bet is to buy on sunday or monday. Also our housing is extremely affordable because A land is cheap and farmland is easily converted to subdivisions and 2nd we have a slight oversupply of homes. currently theres 10,000 abandoned or vacant homes and factories combined across Indianapolis. However after 2012 our Proactive great Mayor Greg Ballard will reduce that by 20%. *Talk about Ambitious *
Another Cost of living example is our COL index is between 15-20% lower than the national average depending on where in the city you live. heck you could rent a 1 room apartment for 500$ a month or less.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:47 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,605,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Indiana doesn't have much emission controls heck were still living off Coal.
Although our downtown Coal Power Plant will be converted to Natural Gas soon.
Also we are the most affordable large city in America or lowest Cost of living.
We don't have the best Public Transportation but then again we seem to handle the 400k visitor Indy 500 every year just fine. Super Bowl 46 this year too.
Gas Prices in Indy are interesting they are at the national average or extremely low. The East side of Indy right now has 2.99$ a gallon gasoline. Gasoline sometimes will jump from the lows 20 cents in a day to match up with the national average so your best bet is to buy on sunday or monday. Also our housing is extremely affordable because A land is cheap and farmland is easily converted to subdivisions and 2nd we have a slight oversupply of homes. currently theres 10,000 abandoned or vacant homes and factories combined across Indianapolis. However after 2012 our Proactive great Mayor Greg Ballard will reduce that by 20%. *Talk about Ambitious *
Another Cost of living example is our COL index is between 15-20% lower than the national average depending on where in the city you live. heck you could rent a 1 room apartment for 500$ a month or less.
As far as emissions go, Indiana has to follow the same standards as the rest of the country, so they aren't that bad. It also seems like Indianapolis will become a major city for charging stations for electric cars. Also, I think it's weird that our gas is so low right now because it seems like most of the time we are above the national average, but not by too much like Chicago. And as far as vacant housing goes, what would be ambitious is if the mayor could find something to fill the space or could've kept the space from becoming vacant in the first place (not that that is Ballard's fault).

Old 11-30-2011, 02:45 AM

141 posts, read 316,718 times
Its ghetto. Just north of Haughville not even a half mile, and Haughville is one of the worst parts of Indy.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:51 AM

1,312 posts, read 1,870,278 times
Quote:
Truthfully, I have no idea. I'll have to ask him.

Indianapolis is affordable but keep in mind it's not going to be one of the highest paying cities around. All the national brands, products and services are the same price in Indy as they are other parts of the country, the only difference comes in gas, housing, and energy costs.

I would also strongly suggest you go and physically/visually check out this place you're thinking about before signing a lease. Also drive around the area. You might find something you like even better.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
Truthfully, I have no idea. I'll have to ask him.

Indianapolis is affordable but keep in mind it's not going to be one of the highest paying cities around. All the national brands, products and services are the same price in Indy as they are other parts of the country, the only difference comes in gas, housing, and energy costs.

I would also strongly suggest you go and physically/visually check out this place you're thinking about before signing a lease. Also drive around the area. You might find something you like even better.
Very true, I was also considering Fishers, Plainfield, and the south side. I've heard mixed reactions about Falls Creek Place (?) as well...some say it's one of Indy's worst areas and others have told me it's really changed from that. What I am planning on doing is banking about three to six months' expenses and staying in one of the extended stay hotels out there while I search for a permanent home. The job part, however, I will make sure is cut and dry before I even leave PA...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis