Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 12:43 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,516,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessMartin View Post
I found it! I would say the City is much more diverse than the areas outside the 465 loop, but Im not shocked. Anyway I thought this was interesting and wanted to share.
Race and ethnicity 2010: Indianapolis | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Looking at that map which I like im glad Indianapolis has a majority white population but still a sizable African American population at 25% and a good growing Hispanic/Asian population.
Also I cant help but noticed how diverse speedway, Indiana is.
Must be the Indy 500 hahahaha
Now all Indianapolis needs is a China or Asiantown kind of thing like you see in San Francisco/Chicago or New York City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 02:50 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,152,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Looking at that map which I like im glad Indianapolis has a majority white population but still a sizable African American population at 25% and a good growing Hispanic/Asian population.
Now all Indianapolis needs is a China or Asiantown kind of thing like you see in San Francisco/Chicago or New York City.
sad part is most posters on here probably feel the same way.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:18 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,516,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
sad part is most posters on here probably feel the same way.
Having 1 race dominate a city leads to racism and problems/corruption.
Look at Detroit.
90% black and less than 5% white.
Gary is the same way.
Chicago is also extremely segregated hence why there's no majority race there yet however white flight is still happening and even black flight too.
Having more equal representation of all the races in a city is better.
Instead of 90% black in Indianapolis its under 60% white 25+% black and 15% other races including Hispanics.
I don't mind other races at all but having only 1 race dominate a city is just no rather it be white black or whatever.
Also to make sure nobody calls me racist I realize very well all races have their trashy citizens.
White Trash
Black Trash
Hispanic trash etc.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:22 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,912,416 times
Quote:
What are you really trying to say?

Old 04-15-2013, 06:24 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,297,321 times
Quote:
Looking at that map which I like im glad Indianapolis has a majority white population
Quote:

Old 04-16-2013, 06:16 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,270,686 times
Quote:
Look at Detroit.
Gary is the same way.
Chicago is also extremely segregated hence why there's no majority race there yet however white flight is still happening and even black flight too.
Instead of 90% black in Indianapolis its under 60% white 25+% black and 15% other races including Hispanics.
I don't mind other races at all but having only 1 race dominate a city is just no rather it be white black or whatever.
Also to make sure nobody calls me racist I realize very well all races have their trashy citizens.
White Trash
Black Trash
Hispanic trash etc.
Um, unless my math is wrong 60% vs 25% is still a dominant majority. Also, I guess this means you have a problem with Carmel, Fishers, Avon, Bloomington, Columbus, Evansville, Greenwood, Mishawaka, Muncie, Terre Haute because they are large Indiana cities that have a white population of 80-85% or more. And you must love South Bend since the white majority is only 55%.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:59 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,980,722 times
Quote:
Look at Detroit.
Gary is the same way.
White Trash
Black Trash
Hispanic trash etc.
While Detroit is predominantly black, your figures are pretty off.

Detroit is 82.7% black and 10.6% white. That's in the city itself, the metro figures would look vastly different, probably similar to Indianapolis.

The only reason why Indianapolis' figures show it having a white majority is because the city land area is so huge it incorporates most of its suburbs and outlying towns, where most white families live already. IF Indianapolis were approximately 100 square miles, I think you would see a black majority and you may not feel the same way about it, since it would be predominantly black.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:01 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,980,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Um, unless my math is wrong 60% vs 25% is still a dominant majority. Also, I guess this means you have a problem with Carmel, Fishers, Avon, Bloomington, Columbus, Evansville, Greenwood, Mishawaka, Muncie, Terre Haute because they are large Indiana cities that have a white population of 80-85% or more. And you must love South Bend since the white majority is only 55%.
Agreed ^

Would rep, but it says I must spread the points around some more.

Chicago is far more diverse than Indianapolis, with each race claiming about 1/3 of the population in the city.

We're getting off topic here, thanks to BRG. It's turning into another Chicago vs Indianapolis thread, it's supposed to be over people from Columbus moving to Indianapolis.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:27 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,738,186 times
Oh good gravy .. should I delete all that racist drivel, or keep it hoping that people will finally stop feeding madness by reading the posts?'

Or should I forward it to Ballard?

Old 04-17-2013, 02:29 PM

218 posts, read 462,865 times
Columbus OH and Indianapolis have almost identical racial breakdowns. Columbus has a slightly larger Asian population than Indy; Indy has a bigger Hispanic population than Columbus.

Other cities with similar racial compositions to Indy: Nashville, Kansas City, Jacksonville, and (to a slightly lesser extent) Charlotte and Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis