Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2009, 10:15 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,054 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I was wondering whether you would suggest a nice, quiet, safe neighborhood in Indianapolis close to the Universities and with a good walk score. Whatever details you might want to add about what houses are usually like in the area would help a lot as well (style, average sq footage, garage, etc.) No apartments, please. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 10:23 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
Bit more detail would be helpful. What universities, how far willing to go, what price (major), what other facilities do you want like schools for kids, etc?

Go to MIBOR.com and you will see just how many townships are in Indy and you can then drill down by price and see how many houses are available in the township in your price range. Then once you have decided on the general area, ask about specifics.

We all get a little tired of saying just how big Indy is and how many subdivisions, historic areas, neighborhoods,etc. are involved. We may suggest a gorgeous neighborhood like Laurelwood, only to find it is too high in price, or to far or whatever. Or the person wants only new or only old, or has an issue with kids, or sports or whatever.

Are you renting or buying is a big point.

My 2 cents.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:48 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,054 times
I am looking for something close to IUPUI - and other universities if possible - (no more than a few miles). Price will depend on the house, but ideally a house no bigger than about 1500 sq ft. My basic requests were already mentioned. Reasonably good walk score (close to some shopping facilities like grocery stores and pharmacies, no bars or nightclubs). Conveniently located regarding public transportation. No preference about old or new houses. I appreciate those who take the time to patiently answer questions of prospective newcomers.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:40 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
IUPUI is downtown. Only a few neighborhoods within walking distance. I live in one.

Ransom Place is the closest with some older and renovated homes. I dont know to much about neighborhood except for some problems with parking (because of school nearby) and such.

Fayette Street? is next to Dr. MLK one road over and is one street of moved and renovated mostly historic homes.

St Joseph is the next historic neighborhood continuing to go east. Mix of old/new, reasonable/super expensive, commercial/rental/residential SFH and condos.

Chatham Arch and Lockerbie are next, then Cottage Home (over I65/70) and then Woodruff Place, Windsor Park, etc.

I dont consider Ransome Place to have a close major grocery you could walk to. Although it has a lot of businesses that cater to the hospitals and school. Restaurants, video, etc.

The others shop at Kroger on 16th and Marsh downtown. Hardware store is next to Marsh. Walking distance easy to the other mentioned historic areas. Lots fo pharmacies.

You will need to study IndyGo bus system as it is not very complete or fully functional to any areas. If you require a bus, you will need to get the map out and check times/routes to find where you will need to live. Hubby walked to work a mile for awhile and found it was doable downtown. I believe it is possible to walk from St. Joseph to the hospitals/IUPUI area on a daily basis. Winter snow an issue but would be anywhere. Few if anyone ever shovels the sidewalks and even the streets are dangerous at times.

No matter where downtown it will be expensive because everyone wants the same thing.

Few if any kids. Schools are all IPS. Would never suggest for families.

Personally I would expand my area to Broad Ripple for young people and smaller houses, Meridian Kessler for the established neighborhood feel (1930s and priced high), Bulter/Tarkington same as MK. Gorgeous houses. Only 10-15 minutes to downtown with a lot of routes to choose from. Grid streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis