Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 09:47 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,475,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Starbucks said it was free to use, McDonalds did too. Here on this forum people were complaining about people setting up office and not buying anything. Starbucks isn't really doing anything about it, except covering up power outlets. It's clear. They don't care. If they did, they'll go back to their old system and require a purchase. They don't require a purchase now. I won't complain if they do, but they haven't yet. It is not mooching. If you're talking about some one's home wifi, then I can go along with calling that mooching, but not with Starbucks, Whole Foods, McD's, etc...
Both businesses said the WiFi is free to use by the "CUSTOMERS":

With free Wi-Fi at more than 11,500 participating restaurants, customers can access the Internet using their laptops or PDAs at no charge. So grab a McCafé Latte and log on...it’s on us! Just one more thing to love about McDonald's.

Free Wi-Fi :: McDonalds.com

Customer: A person or organization that buys goods or services from a store or other business. Are you making a purchase each and every time you use these companies' WiFi access? Answer: No.

Mooching: To get or try to get something free of charge; sponge: Are you using their WiFi without purchase from their stores/restaurants? Answer, yes.

Therefore, you are a moocher. Plain as day. Buy some coffee or a bagel each time, then you're justified. That's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 02:33 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,829,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
If you feel your posts are childish that's your problem.... Where is the personal attack?

Everything you've posted to me has been a personal attack. You've decided to vent your anger on me. I guess the mods don't care. You're wasting your time though. I don't really care if you like me or not. I've got better things to do than bother with your childish games.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Both businesses said the WiFi is free to use by the "CUSTOMERS":

With free Wi-Fi at more than 11,500 participating restaurants, customers can access the Internet using their laptops or PDAs at no charge. So grab a McCafé Latte and log on...it’s on us! Just one more thing to love about McDonald's.

Free Wi-Fi :: McDonalds.com

Customer: A person or organization that buys goods or services from a store or other business. Are you making a purchase each and every time you use these companies' WiFi access? Answer: No.

Mooching: To get or try to get something free of charge; sponge: Are you using their WiFi without purchase from their stores/restaurants? Answer, yes.

Therefore, you are a moocher. Plain as day. Buy some coffee or a bagel each time, then you're justified. That's all.
They do not REQUIRE a purchase. They're only suggesting it. I am a customer of these places often enough, well, except for Starbucks, but I don't use their wifi either. They were just an example.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:42 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
Quote:
Depends. If you're parked in my driveway using your 4G iPad, I'm calling the cops on you.
There is a huge gulf of difference between you calling the cops and me being arrested, charged, prosecuted, convicted and sentenced.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:58 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,705,265 times
Quote:
They do not REQUIRE a purchase. They're only suggesting it. I am a customer of these places often enough, well, except for Starbucks, but I don't use their wifi either. They were just an example.
Actually, if you follow a rational train of thought...yes they are requiring you to purchase an item.

With free Wi-Fi at more than 11,500 participating restaurants, customers can access the Internet using their laptops or PDAs at no charge.

"Customers can access"

Meaning unless you are a customer, you shouldn't technically be using their WiFi.

"at no charge"

By adding this, McD's is likely allowing themselves some wiggle room to charge NON-customers for using their WiFi. I imagine if a McD's franchise wanted to charge non-customers for using WiFi, corporate McD's would approve this.

If people like you, who feel that they're entitled to mooch off others, start to grow in numbers...I could see policies like this being implemented.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:17 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,208,631 times
I realize this is not France but find it interesting:

Quote:
"In the first trial resulting from the controversial three-strikes copyright law, a French court on Thursday fined a man €150 for failing to secure his Internet connection. His negligence led to the illegal download of files, including two Rihanna songs that were downloaded by his wife."

French Court Levies First Fine Under 3-Strikes Piracy Law - Slashdot

Old 09-14-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Actually, if you follow a rational train of thought...yes they are requiring you to purchase an item.

With free Wi-Fi at more than 11,500 participating restaurants, customers can access the Internet using their laptops or PDAs at no charge.

"Customers can access"

Meaning unless you are a customer, you shouldn't technically be using their WiFi.

"at no charge"

By adding this, McD's is likely allowing themselves some wiggle room to charge NON-customers for using their WiFi. I imagine if a McD's franchise wanted to charge non-customers for using WiFi, corporate McD's would approve this.

If people like you, who feel that they're entitled to mooch off others, start to grow in numbers...I could see policies like this being implemented.
I would not object to that them setting whatever policy they want. As for technicalities, forget it. Let them clearly spell it out. If they clearly said, "you have to purchase something to use wifi", or if they decided to charge non-customers, or even re-setup their old system of getting a password by purchasing something, then I'll accept that. That isn't what they're doing now though.

I think that you think I do this all of the time. That is not so, just for the record. I don't do this very often at all.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There is a huge gulf of difference between you calling the cops and me being arrested, charged, prosecuted, convicted and sentenced.
Not sure I follow. If I call the cops on you for trespassing, you are more than likely getting arrested, getting charged, prosecuted, convicted and sentenced.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
LOL! Customer = someone who purchases a product/service from a business. "We offer free WiFi to our customers". Therefore, free WiFi requires a purchase. dkf747 ╪ customer, because you did not make a purchase. Therefore, dkf747 = moocher of WiFi. The companies have already spelled it out as clear as day. The WiFi is for "customers". If I come in and buy a hamburger on Monday, I am a customer. I can use the WiFi. If I come in and do not purchase anything, I am not a customer, I am loitering. Unless a person is suffering from some type of intellectual disability, there is no need of further spelling it out, lol. It's pretty clear who the WiFi service is for. In a court of law, your interpretation would not get very far in your defense.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
LOL! Customer = someone who purchases a product/service from a business. "We offer free WiFi to our customers". Therefore, free WiFi requires a purchase. dkf747 ╪ customer, because you did not make a purchase. Therefore, dkf747 = moocher of WiFi. The companies have already spelled it out as clear as day. The WiFi is for "customers". If I come in and buy a hamburger on Monday, I am a customer. I can use the WiFi. If I come in and do not purchase anything, I am not a customer, I am loitering. Unless a person is suffering from some type of intellectual disability, there is no need of further spelling it out, lol. It's pretty clear who the WiFi service is for. In a court of law, your interpretation would not get very far in your defense.
Personal attacks do not prove your point.

There isn't going to be any court of law because they don't care about it. No laws were broken. This is all a fantasy of yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet