Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 04:46 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
What's the problem? Well, the businesses could have you arrested for loitering, since you're parked on their private property with no intent to patron their business. Even though you might not be taken up space inside, you're still taking up a parking place - one that I bet is pretty close enough to have a good connection to the wireless. So, that's one less parking place for a paying customer.

Secondly, it doesn't matter if you're in the parking lot or if you're inside, you're still missing the point that the free service isn't a "community service" for any Joe Blow to come and use, it's for paying customers. Look, don't believe me, I don't really care. This isn't what the thread is about anyway. I'm just letting you know what the legalities are.
Sure. Thanks! I'll let you know if I get arrested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 05:29 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
You can also get a piece of tech that will tell you when it finds a WiFi connection so you can drive around the neighborhood and probably find someone that hasn't protected their connection. The advantage? It will probably be a lot faster connection than you'll find at Mickey Dees.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:01 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,127,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
You can also get a piece of tech that will tell you when it finds a WiFi connection so you can drive around the neighborhood and probably find someone that hasn't protected their connection. The advantage? It will probably be a lot faster connection than you'll find at Mickey Dees.
That's illegal.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:08 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,539,987 times
If you are using a public Wifi, can someone actually get the contents off your computer/laptop/etc? Like, read your files and things that are just sitting on the hard drive? I've always wondered about this.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:17 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,607,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
You don't have to be a customer. I've parked near Starbucks, or other businesses that offer WIFI, and used their WIFI many times.
While you're not likely to get busted, you still could be breaking the law.

Internet Wireless Sharing Laws | eHow.com

Old 09-02-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
While you're not likely to get busted, you still could be breaking the law.

Internet Wireless Sharing Laws | eHow.com
I'm not suggesting that it is legal. I'm not suggesting it be done the same way that those people did it. However, I do not agree with that law. People are broadcasting their signal in public without securing it. They should have no expectation that no one will use it if it's available. I can see it if they attempted to hide the signal, or to out some kind of password on their network. I wish enough people could act to fix laws like that.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:08 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,191,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieTX View Post
OP here. OK, this thread has taken a direction I didn't intend it to.

My goal isn't to "mooch" or get internet the cheapest way possible. I'm aware being a regular Starbucks customer adds up. My point is I used to be much more productive, and social, before I could web surf at home and I want to eliminate that option. Having to go out to get online would force me to limit my browsing.
So instead of sitting at home with your face buried in your computer screen you'll go to a public place and bury your head in your shiny new Macbook Air.

I assume you think being seen with a Macbook Air surfing the web in public will make you more desirable to the people you wish to identify with and attract...

Instead of buying a Macbook Air buy some walking shoes or a bicycle, go join a discussion group who's topic is the Internet is an incredible time waster.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:11 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,607,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I'm not suggesting that it is legal. I'm not suggesting it be done the same way that those people did it. However, I do not agree with that law. People are broadcasting their signal in public without securing it. They should have no expectation that no one will use it if it's available. I can see it if they attempted to hide the signal, or to out some kind of password on their network. I wish enough people could act to fix laws like that.
Yeah, but people you are posting to may not realize they are breaking the law and may not want to be involved in doing so. There's lot of stuff you don't "have" to do but if you want to stay out of trouble, you'd better.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:22 PM

Would I get arrested for parking somewhere and surfing the net on a 4G iPad?

Old 09-03-2012, 05:22 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,986,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
If you are using a public Wifi, can someone actually get the contents off your computer/laptop/etc? Like, read your files and things that are just sitting on the hard drive? I've always wondered about this.
Yes, if said someone knows what they're doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet