Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 09:38 AM

723 posts, read 807,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutout View Post
I pay 40 dollars a month for basic cable and Comcast Performance internet (35 download, 10 upload IIRC).
Watch Comcast, they have data on when parents are most likely not at home.
During the probable time you are not home, they would put more movies on, when your kids click on those movies you might end up with a $300 bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 10:01 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,151,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePage View Post
During the probable time you are not home, they would put more movies on, when your kids click on those movies you might end up with a $300 bill.
What are you talking about? Is this some sort of new conspiracy theory?

As for "data on when parents are most likely not at home", I think that's pretty standard - between 8 and 5. Don't really need much "data" to determine that.

Also, parental controls are called parental controls for a reason. If a parent chooses not to use them, well, then they're choosing to live with the consequences of that choice, right?

Old 02-24-2015, 07:24 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,098,851 times
Choices in my sub-division with no HOA must use contract. Comcast, DISH, Directv, Verizon FIOS, Cell phone, wireless internet, Verizon copper line, free ota antenna.
btw- if you think it's expensive now, wait until 'net neutrality' kicks in with rate increases, taxes and fees.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:35 AM

16,559 posts, read 19,755,274 times
Quote:
Yea, I'm confused by this, too.
They have data on? Not sure how your provider works, but data better be on 24/7/365.
They put more movies on? What does that even mean?
My kids are then going to "click on movies"? Again, not sure what that means.
We have Netflix (with parental controls)... my kids can click on whatever they want. Not to mention....my kids aren't home when I'm not. And when they are old enough to be, they will be smart enough to... I guess smart enough not to rent Pay Per View movies (I assume that's what you are referring to...)?!?!?

Old 02-25-2015, 08:44 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,414,746 times
Yeah, it's over-priced in the US. Our government believes in CAPITALISM and has to prove it by allowing bullsh!t. The same crap goes on in education and medicine.

psik

Old 02-25-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Choices in my sub-division with no HOA must use contract. Comcast, DISH, Directv, Verizon FIOS, Cell phone, wireless internet, Verizon copper line, free ota antenna.
btw- if you think it's expensive now, wait until 'net neutrality' kicks in with rate increases, taxes and fees.
Then the supply and demand scuffle will also bring things to an equilibrium. Let's keep in mind
the fact that people will also have the possibility to go to a public library.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:03 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,964,372 times
Quote:
And also this "territorial war" between those companies hurts consumers. I mean, cable companies and internet companies are buying ZIP codes preventing any other internet or cable business from coming in.
Is it still free market ?
Then write your state official and federal. +Llook at your bill next time to see taxes and fees. Most jurisdictions get a franchise fee for doing nothing.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:41 AM

132 posts, read 209,776 times
I'm dropping AT&T DSL after being with them since high school (about 10+ years). With TWC now increasing their speeds without increasing the prices, it's much better for me to switch to their standard package that will get 50Mbps for $40, just Internet. Right now, I'm paying around $60 for 6Mbps. You CAN save money if you shop around. I personally prefer not to bundle.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:01 PM

199 posts, read 261,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRocket04 View Post
I'm dropping AT&T DSL after being with them since high school (about 10+ years). With TWC now increasing their speeds without increasing the prices, it's much better for me to switch to their standard package that will get 50Mbps for $40, just Internet. Right now, I'm paying around $60 for 6Mbps. You CAN save money if you shop around. I personally prefer not to bundle.
Shopping around is always good!

+1 for the "prefer not to bundle"! There are too many cheap but good VOIP phone services for a few bucks, as well as free online TV services. Bundles are just a way to get you to buy something else that you really don't need.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeekUniverse View Post
Shopping around is always good!
Bundles are just a way to get you to buy something else that you really don't need.
True !
I actually do not need all those TV channels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet