Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 01:39 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,711,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Bribe? How is paying for a service considered a bribe?
You've got it backwards. They don't pay for a service. They pay to stop the service.

I also consider what Adblock is doing bribery. It's also a disservice to those who use it.

And, no, I no longer have a web site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 01:47 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,205,739 times
Ads, ads, ads...such junk. I tried ad-blocker several times and it made it impossible to navigate and some sites impossible to go on. I swear some of these "ads" are worms. Some sites have "ads" that will situate so if you navigate that site, you'll very likely click on that ad, and eventually have to log off to even get your computer operable.

I'm almost about to trash internet all together. This ad junk (so moronic) has slowed down internet to slower than Prodigy with phone lines in 1996. They can have it.

Old 12-31-2016, 05:12 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Coalman, you've got to be kidding.

Blocking an ad is a copyright infringement? By NOT seeing something!
No I'm not kidding. Suppose you buy a magazine, you own the magazine and can sell it as is. What you don't own is the content of the magazine. If you were to offer a service to strip out the ads that would be copyright infringement even if you buying one magazine for every one you sold or gave away. Same thing would apply to movies, audio etc. You can't for example offer a service to take a movie and cut out all the profanity and sex scenes.

How this will apply to web pages is not something that has come up in the courts as far as I know but at some point in time a 500 pound gorilla that has the resources for a court case like this will.

Quote:
Theft of a service by refusing the "service"?
You are not refusing the service, you are refusing the ads which I the owner of that content have stipulated as part of the service. You don't get to decide what the service is, I do. If you want to refuse the service that is fine but you will refuse the entire service.

Quote:
You seem to have some sort of totalitarian vision where things can be forced on us.
I'm not forcing anything on you. If you do not like what I'm providing to you no one has a gun to your head.

Quote:
Didn't work with DVR skipping commercials, at least not yet
These features do not specifically skip commercials but instead jump ahead 15 or 30 seconds correct?

Quote:
Geesh, some folks won't give up.
When you work do you expect to get paid what you want/agreed to? If you offer to dig a hole in my backyard for $25 an hour and then I don't pay you would you be upset? When you are blocking the ads that I have set as the terms and conditions of the service I provide that is what you are doing to me, you are using my services and not paying me for them.

Old 12-31-2016, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Bribe? How is paying for a service considered a bribe?
They are advertising their service as an ad blocker, if I pay them they will allow my ads to be shown. How about we'll call it extortion?

Old 12-31-2016, 05:29 AM

Quote:
What coalman doesn't seem to understand is that ads per se are not the problem. The problem is certain kinds of ads that interfere with our browsing experience, whether by slowing page loading or obtrusively displaying with flashing, blocking content and, worst of all, video ads, which often masquerade as more content.
What you don't seem to understand is that is not my problem and nothing to do with me. You've made it my problem.

Quote:
Some sites have informative, useful ads that unfortunately get blocked, too.
What you also don't seem to understand is as revenue continues to decline for these sites say bye bye if things don't change.

Old 12-31-2016, 05:47 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,666,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Same thing would apply to movies, audio etc. You can't for example offer a service to take a movie and cut out all the profanity and sex scenes.
There are actually services that do just this (with user definable levels of edit). Vidangel and Clearplay are two that I'm aware of, but there are probably others.

Quote:
These features do not specifically skip commercials but instead jump ahead 15 or 30 seconds correct?
Cable company DVRs may not, but there are DVR products available that can completely skip (or cut out) commercials.

Old 12-31-2016, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
There are actually services that do just this (with user definable levels of edit). Vidangel and Clearplay are two that I'm aware of, but there are probably others.
These services do not change the source, this would be analogous to blocking the whole web page. We argue the point back and forth but this will be decided by the courts, just a matter of time.

They also rely on features the consumer would use for other purposes and this is important point. That is always a consideration in these court cases. The VCR for example can be used to infringe on copyright but it has legitimate other uses. More specifically there is a device called a TBC, this will retime analog video like VHS and it's a very important tool to have if you are doing analog to digital conversions. One of the side affects of what it does is to strip the copy protection on commercial VHS tapes or any copy protection over RCA cables. You can buy one because it's main purpose is to retime video.

Old 12-31-2016, 06:31 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,507,708 times
coalman, I fell sorry for you for your badly mistaken understanding of copyright law. It's sad to see fake news like yours being promulgated, but I don't have the time (or the interest) in educating you regarding your mis-statements, so I will bow out of a discussion with you.

Old 12-31-2016, 06:38 AM

Quote:
coalman, I fell sorry for you for your badly mistaken understanding of copyright law. It's sad to see fake news like yours being promulgated, but I don't have the time (or the interest) in educating you regarding your mis-statements, so I will bow out of a discussion with you.
LOL... whatever. What I think is you are just a little shy about pulling the trigger after getting educated in those video threads.

Here is the bottom line for me, if you don't like the terms I'm offering for the use of MY services, resources and time don't come to my site. Problem solved.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:25 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times
Quote:
They are advertising their service as an ad blocker, if I pay them they will allow my ads to be shown. How about we'll call it extortion?
Call it whatever you want. It makes the Internet a better place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet