Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2022, 05:43 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,429,035 times

Advertisements

I wish I could just abandon that corrupt pos site...but I've been a member for over 10 years and have most of my communications tied up in it. So,when I keep getting 30 day suspensions for even the slightest of perceived infractions now,I'm utilizing alternatives but there's no replacement for all those years of pictures etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2022, 05:46 AM

MySpace took a dump too once fbook got bigger...so many years later and still nothing comparable.

Old 02-04-2022, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I have one too but NEVER use it. Mostly a millenial thing (wink).
I've heard boomer also...I guess it's really for everyone(except young kids who use TikTok)

Old 02-05-2022, 01:48 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
I haven't logged in in 12 or 13 years. I suppose the shell account I had is still there. But not using FB can be a PITA though. I hate to click on a link for public information for something and have it go to a FB page that's locked down.

Old 02-05-2022, 02:49 AM

41 posts, read 18,481 times
I have a FB account, but I have not used it in 6-8 years or even more. I played with it quickly. FB doesn't have a very user-friendly interface. I usually use social networks as a place to find new friends. I'm not interested in looking at photos of my schoolmates or neighbors. And I don't want them to look at me too.

Old 02-05-2022, 09:37 AM

666 posts, read 424,136 times
Here is a simple step everyone can take to remedy the situation.
Cool bug facts:
Facebook conducts veiled experiments on users, going so far as to manipulate their emotions or induce depression.
Facebook sneakily uploads call logs from Android phones
The Facebook phone app often cannot be removed from devices.
Around 40% of Android phone applications report the user's activity to Facebook in partner data sharing.
Facebook has software libraries that other developers have used in making their own programs, which silently sends users data to facebook, unbeknownst even to those developers!
Sensitive personal biometrics, from women's health applications, are being collected by Facebook.
The Facebook application tracks users even after being "turned off".
Occulus is being made impossible to use without the permission and knowledge of Facebook overlords.
Facebook passively watches users through their cameras via Instagram.
Facebook hoovering up data from Apple Zoom users.
WhatsApp begins forcing users to send data to PARENT company Facebook.
Facebook users detest the Newsfeed malfeature enough to author programs that try to circumvent it.
Social pressure exerted by Facebook algorithms has claimed the lives of teenagers.

But, by all means, keep using Facebook. Let me know how that works out for ya lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
City-Data is social media.
I think there is a distinction to be made between slick phone-app zero-anonymity Social Media™, and old world forums such as CD. Just a hunch I have.

Old 02-05-2022, 09:39 AM

43,076 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
City-Data is social media.
City Data is a forum, not a "social network" like Facebook, twitter and the like.

Old 02-05-2022, 10:54 AM

1,097 posts, read 645,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelling_at_Birds View Post
But, by all means, keep using Facebook. Let me know how that works out for ya lol
Well since you asked, it's working fine. None of the bad things people perceive seem to affect my life in any way at all. I understand that Facebook is not my friend, doesn't care about me, and the feeling is mutual. I don't use their phone app. I choose what information I share and I couldn't care less what Facebook does with it.

But most importantly I don't take it seriously. It's a stupid website, nothing more.

Old 02-05-2022, 11:06 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,577,093 times
I don’t use my Facebook app as often as I use other social media or as much as I used it in high school. That was over 10 yrs ago. It’s the only personal AND original account I have so it has a LOT of old stuff & old friends on it.

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
I understand that Facebook is not my friend, doesn't care about me, and the feeling is mutual.

Well….your friends & family that are on Facebook care about you? Ofc Facebook doesn’t “care”.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
But most importantly I don't take it seriously.

How can you not take your friends & family seriously tho? The point of it is social.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 02-05-2022 at 12:23 PM..

Old 02-05-2022, 05:46 PM

1,097 posts, read 645,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Well….your friends & family that are on Facebook care about you? Ofc Facebook doesn’t “care”.
I only said that because some people are delusional and think that a company should actually care about people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
How can you not take your friends & family seriously tho? The point of it is social.
I originally joined Facebook to get information on the local windsurfing scene. But before you know it, you're accepting friend requests from people that you haven't heard from in 40 years. Many people don't share anything about their life, which is pretty much all I care about. In fact some baby boomers don't even know how to create a post with their own content. And some (like my wife) don't understand the concepts like their own page, someone else's page, their newsfeed. And some don't understand the magnitude of photos and memes that are fake. They mash the share button and it fills up my newsfeed with crap. There are some aspects of Facebook that I find worthwhile, like my only relative that I know found me on Facebook. But as a whole, not taking the platform seriously works best for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet