Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2020, 04:14 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,903,899 times

Advertisements

Vanguard will be transitioning to government backed securities and cash and going away from commercial paper which does have some risks. My question is are money market accounts that unsafe as I am with Fidelity and have concerns?

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/27/vang...vestments.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2020, 04:30 PM

106,653 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Vanguard will be transitioning to government backed securities and cash and going away from commercial paper which does have some risks. My question is are money market accounts that unsafe as I am with Fidelity and have concerns?

They made changes in the money markets back after 2008 .....

All money markets today are pretty safe and restricted in what they can buy .....

I only use t- bill money markets from fidelity ......there is nothing safer.

Vanguard had closed all the treasury money markets to new money ...so now they are going to add more treasuries to the regular money market .

Fidelity still has some treasury funds open..the pure ones that don’t do repos are closed to new money

Old 08-27-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
They made changes in the money markets back after 2008 .....

All money markets today are pretty safe and restricted in what they can buy .....

I only use t- bill money markets from fidelity ......there is nothing safer.

Vanguard had closed all the treasury money markets to new money ...so now they are going to add more treasuries to the regular money market .

Fidelity still has some treasury funds open..the pure ones that don’t do repos are closed to new money
Thanks, I feel pretty safe with Fidelity. I am in the SPAXX fund, is there a better one that is open?

Old 08-27-2020, 04:59 PM

4,864 posts, read 4,801,062 times
Quote:
Thanks, I feel pretty safe with Fidelity. I am in the SPAXX fund, is there a better one that is open?
That's the core account in our standard brokerage account at Fidelity. We're happy with it.

Old 08-27-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
The safest is the treasury funds ....the safest one is closed but fzfxx is open

Old 08-27-2020, 07:09 PM

3,043 posts, read 3,311,876 times
Quote:

My T Rowe Price find did this in 2008. In normal times you get about the interest of T-bills. In today's market lucky to have 0.01%. The fund is allowed to borrow from the Fed to keep the $1.00 NAV. For the fund to do this they are required to have Government Money. When the fund converts they may also lower fees, lower account minimums, other items (paperless statements). I'd watch if Fidelity does the same thing. They may offer both a Government Money and Private Money accounts.

It would appear the only guaranty that works is something tied into the Federal Reserve or the Treasury.

Last edited by GWoodle; 08-27-2020 at 07:32 PM..

Old 08-28-2020, 02:43 AM

i hold the distinction of actually losing money in a money market in 2008 ... we not only lost 2-3% but were locked out for months .

because i run a bullet proof portfolio via the permanent portfolio it calls for only treasuries to be used .

so while i use fidelitys treasury money market as a core , i keep the bulk in the now closed money market fdlxx and transfer to the core as needed .

the difference is fdlxx is pure t-bills . no other gov't paper and no repos .

they got so much money in march they closed it to new investors .

the other treasury money market is only up to 80% t -BILL and it engages in repos .

the 100% t-bill fund is not taxed by ny or nyc .

Old 08-28-2020, 03:01 AM

Quote:
i hold the distinction of actually losing money in a money market in 2008 ... we not only lost 2-3% but were locked out for months .

because i run a bullet proof portfolio via the permanent portfolio it calls for only treasuries to be used .

so while i use fidelitys treasury money market as a core , i keep the bulk in the now closed money market fdlxx and transfer to the core as needed .

the difference is fdlxx is pure t-bills . no other gov't paper and no repos .

they got so much money in march they closed it to new investors .

the other treasury money market is only up to 80% t -BILL and it engages in repos .

the 100% t-bill fund is not taxed by ny or nyc .
Did you permanently lose 2-3% or just temporarily until things settled down?

Old 08-28-2020, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Did you permanently lose 2-3% or just temporarily until things settled down?
gone forever ...

money markets have no guarantee to stay a buck .

right now fund families are cutting expenses to preserve the buck as the actual returns with the costs are negative .

Old 08-28-2020, 03:13 AM

Quote:
gone forever ...

money markets have no guarantee to stay a buck .

right now fund families are cutting expenses to preserve the buck as the actual returns with the costs are negative .
I wonder if local banks and FDIC insured savings accounts are a safer way to go nowadays with money in IRA accounts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing