Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2022, 10:27 AM

3,495 posts, read 2,181,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishac View Post
I invite you to read my contributions to the Tesla forum on city data. I wrote about test driving non-Teslas such as the Polestar, Ioniq 5, I4. You'll also see some of my bearish thoughts on Tesla there.
A bit off topic here but what did you think of the Ioniq 5? I’m considering it for my next vehicle when I trade in my old Subaru.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2022, 02:39 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
3 for 1 stock split coming but I am afraid it is not going to help the stock goes higher,look at AMZN.

Old 06-10-2022, 04:52 PM

7,643 posts, read 4,589,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
3 for 1 stock split coming but I am afraid it is not going to help the stock goes higher,look at AMZN.
Nothing is going higher in this market. Fed's looking at 4 straight half point raises. That kills bonds. It sends the economy into recession....there goes equities and the interest rates put gold in check.

Nobody is a winner here. We'll just have to see how deep the Fed is going to plow us under. Don't expect help from DC. Biden can't seem to figure out why oil companies would be hesitant to invest and appears to have picked up a Blue Blocker shade of blinders that allows him to only see one tax year of others at a time.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/news...cid=uxbndlbing

Old 06-10-2022, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I found this interesting nevertheless

https://mobile.twitter.com/garyblack...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Old 06-10-2022, 07:05 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,046,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
A bit off topic here but what did you think of the Ioniq 5? I’m considering it for my next vehicle when I trade in my old Subaru.
I thought the ioniq 5 was a decent choice that was compromised by the dealership experience. My posts regarding the Ioniq 5 are here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/tesla...ioniq-5-a.html

Old 06-10-2022, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishac View Post
I thought the ioniq 5 was a decent choice that was compromised by the dealership experience. My posts regarding the Ioniq 5 are here:

http:////www.city-data.com/forum/tes...ioniq-5-a.html
Interesting. I was talking to a dealership earlier this week about an AWD SE trim they have in transit and they were willing to sell at MSRP even including dealership fees. Before tax, ~$48k. After the federal tax credit and the upcoming state of Illinois credit, it’ll bring the cost down to ~$37k before tax. This feels like a steal for a highly rated EV. A bit smaller than the Tesla model Y but far cheaper so I think it’s worth the compromise.

Old 06-11-2022, 12:48 AM

1,221 posts, read 1,046,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
Interesting. I was talking to a dealership earlier this week about an AWD SE trim they have in transit and they were willing to sell at MSRP even including dealership fees. Before tax, ~$48k. After the federal tax credit and the upcoming state of Illinois credit, it’ll bring the cost down to ~$37k before tax. This feels like a steal for a highly rated EV. A bit smaller than the Tesla model Y but far cheaper so I think it’s worth the compromise.
If you can get the Ioniq 5 at msrp then that’s an amazing deal when combining the tax credit. I personally wouldn’t get a Model Y at current prices.

Old 06-12-2022, 12:40 PM

7,643 posts, read 4,589,722 times
https://www.tomsguide.com/reference/...ry-tesla-model

Interesting tidbit on lead times. At initial glance the lead times on all the vehicles make me think Tesla is going to the moon, but the ability for the company to make optioned up vehicles faster....and likely with higher margins....makes me wonder if there isn't some margin engineering by design going on.

Old 06-12-2022, 01:35 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,427,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
https://www.tomsguide.com/reference/...ry-tesla-model

Interesting tidbit on lead times. At initial glance the lead times on all the vehicles make me think Tesla is going to the moon, but the ability for the company to make optioned up vehicles faster....and likely with higher margins....makes me wonder if there isn't some margin engineering by design going on.
It’s easier to have high margins when your sales volume is small.

It’s a different story once you get the build up of costs in your structure to actually have a breadth of vehicles that needs to change yearly to meet the demands of a wide variety of customers instead of a small waiting list of enthusiasts. Costs explode for compliance, rework, clearing over inventory, safety, R&D, ect.

Wait until Tesla keeps bragging about their margins, and their workforce domestically and internationally says, where’s our slice of that pie? You’re nothing without us. Those legacy costs they escape might become a current reality to them. Or when tier 1 suppliers and OEMs want to put the squeeze on that margin when there’s other large auto makers they could supply instead. Or when governments start side eying the subsidies. Or viewing that profit like their own personal war-chest for transfer pricing audits.

It’s real cute to stoke investors about those margins, but investors aren’t the only ones listening.

And I’ll repeat it again, when I said it several hundred posts ago. Having a superior product isn’t always the key to winning. It has to be things your customer actually cares about. They do today when 2/3 of the sales are in a few states, with a customer hell bent on new tech, the cool factor, or the environment. But the vast majority of the car market knows nothing but how to start their car and take it from point A to B. And all the improvements and tech jargon doesn’t mean a hill of beans to them. Having the “best” product doesn’t mean you win the space. That’s what the fans either can’t see or haven’t seen the 100 business cases that could prove that. Being first can be a curse, and being better has to be better in ways that actually matters and is actually sustainable.

The difference could end up being leadership and direction. Tesla seems to be ran by an unfocused and erratic creative type, which may not be best for what they actually need to accomplish on the ground.

Last edited by Thatsright19; 06-12-2022 at 02:04 PM..

Old 06-12-2022, 04:26 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
I am watching the documentary film on John Delorean,I wonder if GM has given the support he needed,they would have an easier time with their EV startup today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing