Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2022, 02:20 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,317,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
$SLNH, @10.64 completed the lot.
I have no idea why this isn't taking off while $SDIG is
SDIG doesn't exactly look like it's taking off, either. Sure, it's up 52% in the last month, but it's still down 56% over the the last 6 months, and even over the last 5 years it's still down 50%. Looks more like a stock that finally hit rock-bottom and bounced up than one that's going to the moon.

SLNH meanwhile is only down 4% over the last 6 months and up over 600% over the last 5 years. How much more taking off are you hoping for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2022, 02:43 PM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
^They were Different companies just 24mns ago. Your time focus is wrong.Which is also saying that I am taking a beating in the last 12mn.

Old 03-01-2022, 02:49 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,317,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
^They were Different companies just 24mns ago. Your time focus is wrong.Which is also saying that I am taking a beating in the last 12mn.
Fair enough. The performance I always look for is over years (this is a long-term thread, after all), and on that scale the story these two tell is quite different.

Old 03-01-2022, 04:24 PM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
^All of my trades are LT until they become ST
^ used to post my trades in the thread: ST-post your trades as you make 'em. Then someone commented that some of us weren't really "trading" but buying on opportunity and holding, me.

YMMV

Last edited by leastprime; 03-01-2022 at 04:37 PM..

Old 03-02-2022, 09:41 AM

5,474 posts, read 6,290,008 times
Added a few more shares of DPZ this morning on the opening dip. I'm slowing this down now, won't add any more unless it gets below $400.

Watching AZO and BX very closely, both are getting close to the buy zone, before today anyway. Also some Brookfield Property preferred shares are starting to look interesting (BPY.P). Might pick up some shares if it hits a 7% yield.

Old 03-02-2022, 10:31 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,984,285 times
Added EQT (not many) They have a lot of debt. Added Uranium Energy for the bull market of Uranium that will be taking place this decade. They just paid off all their debt and sit debt free. I am also invested in Uranium ETF that gives exposure to all uranium. Added Glencore (for cobalt production)

Old 03-02-2022, 11:04 AM

3,495 posts, read 2,181,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Added a few more shares of DPZ this morning on the opening dip. I'm slowing this down now, won't add any more unless it gets below $400.

Watching AZO and BX very closely, both are getting close to the buy zone, before today anyway. Also some Brookfield Property preferred shares are starting to look interesting (BPY.P). Might pick up some shares if it hits a 7% yield.
Not that I follow anything the bozo says but Cramer was really hating on DPZ yesterday evening. I didn’t realize the CEO is resigning, always a nervous moment when that happens.

Old 03-02-2022, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
Not that I follow anything the bozo says but Cramer was really hating on DPZ yesterday evening. I didn’t realize the CEO is resigning, always a nervous moment when that happens.
He's not resigning, he's retiring, which was made clear in their discussion of the matter on yesterdays conference call. As for Cramer, last time I saw DPZ on his show he was praising them to high heaven, so what does that tell you? Besides, when it's getting hated is a good time for me to be buying.

The future is never clear; you pay a very high price in the stock market for a cheery consensus. Uncertainty actually is the friend of the buyer of long-term values."

- Warren Buffett

Old 03-02-2022, 11:36 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Also some Brookfield Property preferred shares are starting to look interesting (BPY.P). Might pick up some shares if it hits a 7% yield.
Yes, preferred stocks have taken a hit. I'm generally not keen on this asset class. Most are redeemable after a few years, so if rates drop the issue can be taken away. On the other hand, if rates go up the investor can be stuck holding a (relatively) low yielding instrument forever. Every so often they crater however, along with corporate bonds, for no reason other than sheer panic.

Investment-grade preferred stocks yield roughly 5% today. Do you know the rating on that Brookfield preferred?

I'm more inclined toward convertibles, actually. BAC-L is one that I watch. Since you're a BAC shareholder you may be familiar with it? It's not redeemable, which is an unusual feature, but BofA has a conversion right that should be understood before buying. Looking for 1250 or less on the price, for myself.

Last edited by hikernut; 03-02-2022 at 11:54 AM..

Old 03-02-2022, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Yes, preferred stocks have taken a hit. I'm generally not keen on this asset class. Most are redeemable after a few years, so if rates drop the issue can be taken away. On the other hand, if rates go up the investor can be stuck holding a (relatively) low yielding instrument forever. Every so often they crater however, along with corporate bonds, for no reason other than sheer panic.

Investment-grade preferred stocks yield roughly 5% today. Do you know the rating on that Brookfield preferred?

I'm more inclined toward convertibles, actually. BAC-L is one that I watch. Since you're a BAC shareholder you may be familiar with it? It's not redeemable, which is an unusual feature, but BofA has a conversion right that should be understood before buying. Looking for 1250 or less on the price, for myself.
From what I can see, it's rated BB+, one notch below investment grade. It's Brookfield though, so I'm not to worried about the rating. I only follow three preferred stocks - all Brookfield related - this one and OAK-A and OAK-B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing