Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2021, 08:04 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,454,887 times

Advertisements

Largest individual positions are googl, aapl, amzn, in that order. I've got smaller but still substantial positions in msft, brk.b, baba, and v. Bought them March 2020, planning to hold them all for a while, my time horizon is still 40+ years away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2021, 09:45 PM

13,059 posts, read 7,493,946 times
Bought ~70% cash, ~ 10% meme $AMC, ~3% $MKTY, remainder in leftovers that I may reheat later in the year. Holding until the apes win or get wipedout and the miner hit pay dirt or a price of mining becomes prohibitive against its mined product.

Old 05-22-2021, 10:58 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Long term holds are boring because they really don't change much, especially mutual funds/etfs.

Mutual funds / ETFs:

--Parnassus Core Equity (esp. the Inst. shares if you have 100K or can get them in 401k) PRBLX/PRILX
--Vanguard Dividend Growth VDIGX
--Vanguard Dividend Appreciation Index VDADX/VIG
--Vanguard Wellington VWELX/VWENX
--Vanguard Balanced Index VBINX/VBIAX
--Vanguard Wellesley Income (VWINX/VWIAX)
--Dodge & Cox Income (DODIX)
--Vanguard Core Bond (VCORX/VCOBX)

Stocks on sale right now:

Polaris PII
Amazon AMZN
Biogen BIIB
Alphabet GOOGL

I only own dividend payers, so that rules out the last 3, but I did recently buy PII.

Old 05-22-2021, 11:43 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times
Largest position is 20,050 shares of CURO that I bought mostly in December/January. I plan on holding them at least a year, so I guess I'm long term in that aspect.

Got lots of stuff in the IRAs that has been there several years; individual stocks and stock/bond mutual funds. Too many to list

Old 05-23-2021, 05:40 AM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Sometime around the split, the then-CEO announced that instead of trying to grow the business, a large part of earnings would be paid out as dividends. That at the time struck me as being a humble and wise decision, in an industry notorious for thoughtless mergers and "diworsification". But that was before my tax-situation evolved, to a point where the annual tax-burden of dividends became very painful.
How are dividends a tax burden? Or is this holding not in a “retirement” type of account?

Old 05-23-2021, 06:14 AM

27,543 posts, read 28,630,498 times
My long-term investments have been completely boring. SPY and that’s it.

And I bought another house, if that counts.

Old 05-23-2021, 06:29 AM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
My first investment was made probably 30 or 35 years ago with a new employer retirement account - at the time I knew practically nothing about it and I don’t even think I know what I put it into at the time. Obviously it’s been moved around a bit since then. My “long term” is really from the time of investment until such time that RMD’s force a withdrawal. Hopefully I won’t need any of it before that time. For me, that starts in about 6 or 7 years I think. And then is when I’ll really have to figure out the tax stuff - if I want to reinvest into a taxable account. ( I have no taxable accounts currently).

I have a 457b that has its largest chunk in a target fund. Also a decent chunk in a MM, a very small bond fund, a stock fund (Blackrock), and a small amount in a brokerage account with TD - that was a new option recently when we switched administrators. The TD holdings are QQQ, and VWINX.

I also have accounts at Schwab and Fidelity. Schwab is the where my first investment wound up, and Fidelity is the home of another employer rollover, and I also have my Roth there.

Schwab: VFIAX, SCHB and APPL. APPL is one of only 2 stocks that I own. It was the first one I bought.

Fidelity: 3 accounts,
1) SPY, FCNTX, FAGIX
2) (ROTH) FLCSX, FAGIX, ARKK, NFLX, FXAIX ( NFLX is the other stock of course)
3) FCNTX

FCNTX is by far the largest holding in my Fidelity account.

I am comfortable with all of these except the ARKK of course, but I will let it ride. I’ve not made a ROTH contribution this year yet but when I do, it will probably just go into FLCSX.

The only time I sell something is if I feel that it is performing badly. I’ve not done much of that over the years, but I have certainly done a little. Obviously I regret regret the ARKK but I don’t want to take such a loss so I’ll leave it for now.

Old 05-23-2021, 06:32 AM

3,773 posts, read 5,321,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
My long-term investments have been completely boring. SPY and that’s it.

And I bought another house, if that counts.
Me too. I bought a second house; my future retirement house which I have rented out for now.

I have long term, non-IRA holdings in 17 stocks, one mutual fund, and one closed-end fund. The two IRAs are in a mix of stock, REIT, and bond funds.

I still like and hold pharma: MRK, ABBV, and PFE. I sold JNJ two years back to help finance the house purchase, but I wish I could have kept it.

I also like mining: BHP and SOUHY. And utilities: NEE and OTTR. And technology: MSFT and CSCO.

And agriculture (LAND), although, again, I had to sell DE and ADM two years ago and haven't gotten back in yet.

Not buying or selling anything today (Sunday).

Old 05-23-2021, 06:37 AM

106,569 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
My first investment was made probably 30 or 35 years ago with a new employer retirement account - at the time I knew practically nothing about it and I don’t even think I know what I put it into at the time. Obviously it’s been moved around a bit since then. My “long term” is really from the time of investment until such time that RMD’s force a withdrawal. Hopefully I won’t need any of it before that time. For me, that starts in about 6 or 7 years I think. And then is when I’ll really have to figure out the tax stuff - if I want to reinvest into a taxable account. ( I have no taxable accounts currently).

I have a 457b that has its largest chunk in a target fund. Also a decent chunk in a MM, a very small bond fund, a stock fund (Blackrock), and a small amount in a brokerage account with TD - that was a new option recently when we switched administrators. The TD holdings are QQQ, and VWINX.

I also have accounts at Schwab and Fidelity. Schwab is the where my first investment wound up, and Fidelity is the home of another employer rollover, and I also have my Roth there.

Schwab: VFIAX, SCHB and APPL. APPL is one of only 2 stocks that I own. It was the first one I bought.

Fidelity: 3 accounts,
1) SPY, FCNTX, FAGIX
2) (ROTH) FLCSX, FAGIX, ARKK, NFLX, FXAIX ( NFLX is the other stock of course)
3) FCNTX

FCNTX is by far the largest holding in my Fidelity account.

I am comfortable with all of these except the ARKK of course, but I will let it ride. I’ve not made a ROTH contribution this year yet but when I do, it will probably just go into FLCSX.

The only time I sell something is if I feel that it is performing badly. I’ve not done much of that over the years, but I have certainly done a little. Obviously I regret regret the ARKK but I don’t want to take such a loss so I’ll leave it for now.

Fcntx is my biggest holding too followed by fidelity low priced stock fund ..

Then I have voo ,vti , assorted bond funds , iau gold and gbtc Bitcoin

Old 05-23-2021, 06:41 AM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
Dollar cost average weekly into a mutual fund that is currently on sale or out of favor. When stocks were setting records I was buying a few shares a week of long term treasury etf. I consider it being a contrarian Boglehead.

I am 70/30 at this time

Everything is cyclical. Buy it on sale and eventually it becomes the hot item which you can then take some profits from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing