Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2021, 07:40 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,395,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I consider long-term to be more than 10 years.

@lookingaround: I've been to a John Deere campus, and let me tell you it made me wish I was a golden retriever so I could roll around on those gorgeous lawns without getting strange looks from people.
I began to realize Deere was up to new things when I lived in Iowa. I would see them advertising in the papers and most the things they were hiring for required you to know Python programming. Nothing runs like a deer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2021, 07:47 AM

5,470 posts, read 6,290,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
I just bought big (125k) in Boeing (BA). I think the Max 8 problems are behind, and as the covid factor fades the #1 airliner manufacturer will emerge to it's former glory. Great defense contracts and the only competitor is Airbus.

I have Southwest Airlines (LUV) for similar reasons. As the covid factor fades, travel will increase and LUV has always been one of the better operated airlines. They just expanded routes to Hawaii and are on the move.

I have DR Horton (DHI) because homebuilding is white-hot with no slowdown in sight.

I have United Rentals (URI) because construction is booming and the fundamentals are great.

I'll keep these until they stop performing. No plans to sell anytime soon. Maybe in 3-5 years.
Thanks for the URI mention, I'll take a look at it.

Old 05-25-2021, 10:23 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Looking at AMAT and LEN as well.
Just an FYI. If you are looking at homebuilders, take a look at NVR. It's a little different business model than many other public builders. (I don't own any homebuilders, FYI).

Old 05-25-2021, 10:30 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Many reits run on borrowed money so rising rates can hurt them . Rising rates can be kryptonite to many reits .

Ytd with all dividends O is up a mere 8.60%.. a simple s&p fund is up 12%
In addition, REITs are particularly susceptible to changes in tax law; that is a huge risk.

Old 05-25-2021, 11:07 AM

13,641 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I couldn’t name a dollar figure. But it would be a whole hell of a lot more than me…or either of my siblings. None of us have any holdings other than what exists in our retirement accounts.
I can't quite vie with the Rational_E (or Sporty and Misty?), to whom you were responding. But the broader point is that as the ratio of one's net-worth to income becomes large (even if that's just because the income is small!), both the psychology and the practical considerations of investing, shift markedly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Just an FYI. If you are looking at homebuilders, take a look at NVR. It's a little different business model than many other public builders. (I don't own any homebuilders, FYI).
By one reckoning, the home-building binge has been a bit overdone, and is due for a pause. Not an ideal situation from the investment-side.

Old 05-25-2021, 11:26 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
By one reckoning, the home-building binge has been a bit overdone, and is due for a pause. Not an ideal situation from the investment-side.
Yes, I agree. Home building is notoriously cyclical. The shares of biggies like Pulte, Lennar, etc have only just recently surpassed their high marks from the last real estate boom. While it seems likely they will have at least a couple of good years ahead, businesswise, the stock market does not wait to get out when it starts sensing the party is over. I wouldn't buy any of these with the intention of owning for 10+ years.

I mention NVR because it's arguably more suitable for a long-term hold. It tends to not buy large parcels of land for development, and is arguably a less risky business because of that. I'm certainly no expert here, but I do remember this company from my reading during the last real estate cycle. Again, I don't own this stock or any other homebuilder.

Old 05-25-2021, 12:05 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Yes, I agree. Home building is notoriously cyclical. The shares of biggies like Pulte, Lennar, etc have only just recently surpassed their high marks from the last real estate boom. While it seems likely they will have at least a couple of good years ahead, businesswise, the stock market does not wait to get out when it starts sensing the party is over. I wouldn't buy any of these with the intention of owning for 10+ years.

I mention NVR because it's arguably more suitable for a long-term hold. It tends to not buy large parcels of land for development, and is arguably a less risky business because of that. I'm certainly no expert here, but I do remember this company from my reading during the last real estate cycle. Again, I don't own this stock or any other homebuilder.
Cyclical is good in some way. You can go in when the market is down, find some good companies, and hope they don't go bankrupt. If they can ride out the lows, it would be very profitable for you.

Unfortunately, you have to do this when you are young as each cycle may last more than 10 years.

Old 05-25-2021, 08:30 PM

13,059 posts, read 7,493,946 times
Our LT investments have been converted to Income vehicles: annuities & rentals.
What remains are discretionary investments. I'd rather be long-term of +12 months but our Age and volatility of various markets, make "long-term" a questionable concept.
Age 71/74.

Longterm going on 3-10 years, non income and discretionary:
Managed account, 60/30/10. +20% running 12 month; +7.5% ytd. Fees ~2%. and
Unexercise, deferred, GLWB variable annuities in IRA and taxable. I consider these annuities to be LT Investments since they can be surrendered for their account value. I am contemplating all alternatives since they are excess.

Last edited by leastprime; 05-25-2021 at 08:55 PM..

Old 05-26-2021, 07:24 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,395,706 times
NVDA is reporting after the bell. The options activity suggests some investors are expecting it to go to new highs after earnings. I am not sure if I am going to buy now or snap at it after hours.

Okay doing half now and half after. $629.99

Old 05-26-2021, 07:33 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,454,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
NVDA is reporting after the bell. The options activity suggests some investors are expecting it to go to new highs after earnings. I am not sure if I am going to buy now or snap at it after hours.

Okay doing half now and half after. $629.99

I'm seeing mixed news, some expect it to break out while others are suspicious that they announced a split right before earnings. I have a limit set at $550, gtc+after hours; wondering if it will execute assuming subpar earnings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing