Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2021, 07:41 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,402,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
I'm seeing mixed news, some expect it to break out while others are suspicious that they announced a split right before earnings. I have a limit set at $550, gtc+after hours; wondering if it will execute assuming subpar earnings.
I didn’t add too much compared to what I already hold. I have held it so long it could go back to $550 and it wouldn’t really matter. NVDA is the future. I will poke my eyes out with hot pokers and eat my own head if it goes to $550. The implied move is +/- 5%

Last edited by lookingaround12345; 05-26-2021 at 07:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2021, 07:55 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,402,469 times
Started a small position in ASML. It’s the last of the chip equipment manufacturers I don’t have. Not sure I need it but it Zack’s bull of the day. Not that it matters.

$663.83

Old 05-26-2021, 10:59 AM

5,481 posts, read 6,312,397 times
Added more CVS on this mornings "Amazon Fear" dip, now approx a 1/2 position size.

Also watching how WSM reacts to their earnings after the market today. If it sells off on strong earnings, like so many others have, I'm in. Great company with strong brands, an excellent e-commerce plan, rock solid balance sheet, strong dividend growth and a star CEO in the making. I've long wondered why Berkshire doesn't buy this company and add it to their home goods lineup. It would fit right in with other Berkshire home/personal brands like Jordans Furniture, Nebraska Furniture Mart, Benjamin Moore, Pampered Chef, Borshiems, Helzberg etc.

Old 05-27-2021, 08:01 AM

Started a new 1/3 sized position in WSM this morning on the expected post earning dip, even though they totally crushed earnings. It amazes me that this would sell off, as they pulled about as perfect a quarterly earnings report as possible - tremendous revenue and earnings growth and huge sales increases across all brands and strongly increased guidance for the rest of 2021. I mean, it just doesn't get better than what they reported.

Will continue to add under $175, and hope to average down if possible.

Now long AAPL, BAC, BRK-B, DPZ, HD and V, with smaller positions in CVS and WSM.

Old 05-27-2021, 08:44 AM

7,457 posts, read 4,693,802 times
No change in my 401K -- 100% Large Cap. Up 12% YTD, beating my non-401K account which grew just 6% YTD, no thanks to my ARKK which btw, I have started selling the past week to now. Booking the paper losses!!

Old 05-27-2021, 09:19 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,361,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I read the post title, and I'm not buying or selling anything today, a Saturday.

I have a mixture of ETFs, mutual funds, bond funds, alternatives. There are different funds in different accounts (roth, IRA, taxable), depending on the time horizon for spending in each account, ranging from spending within a year and up to 20+ years out. I've got a variety including large cap, medium cap, small cap, sector, total market and S&P, U.S. & International coverage. On the bond side I have short term, medium term, and a little long term, U.S. and International. I also have shares of AAPL.
Why ETFs AND Mutual funds?

Old 05-27-2021, 09:21 AM

27,580 posts, read 28,687,607 times
I consider it to be gambling to invest long-term in any individual stock.

There is literally no way of knowing what it will do long term.

Old 05-27-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

Well, there is no way of knowing what it will do short term either, so what should we do?? I get what you're saying, there are individual company risks to consider, but if not long term, and not short term, what else is there? Are not mutual funds and ETF's invested in many individual stocks long term? If so, doesn't that make them riskier, considering their exposure to individual stock risk for many stocks??

Old 05-27-2021, 09:49 AM

106,723 posts, read 108,913,061 times
Quote:

Individual stocks have not only market risk but individual company risk too ..

Diversified Etfs and funds only have market risk so I too prefer them for my long term investing …I don’t have to worry about one missed earnings report and a year or more in gains gets erased .

I trade stocks but I own none as part of my core

Old 05-27-2021, 10:20 AM

6,762 posts, read 5,063,975 times
Quote:

There's also no way of knowing for sure what the market will do in the long term either. The market can give negative real returns over a decade, or double-digit real returns.

It's really a matter of risk IMO. Putting all of one's money in a single stock is a risky of course. Putting one's money in 20-30 stocks is not. Most individual company risk is gone at that amount of diversification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing