Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2021, 09:08 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,397,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Why is that odd? WSM is a great company, with a rock solid balance sheet (basically zero debt), with major quality brands in Williams-Sonoma, Pottery Barn and West Elm that have a tremendously loyal customer base. They have been executing brilliantly on their plan to reduce physical store count by closing many smaller stores and replacing them with fewer but larger stores (think like Apple stores) in major markets and driving e-commerce to record levels. Decent dividend growth and share repurchase programs, and a rock star in the making CEO. Recent earnings were huge beats on both top and bottom lines.

With a current PE of 15 this company is still relatively undervalued considering their growth potential. And with a market cap of 12.5 billion, I could see them being a buyout candidate. Maybe HD or LOW buys them, as they would be a great compliment to home improvement? Perhaps Berkshire sees them fitting in nicely with their premium home centered brands like Nebraska Furniture Mart, Jordans Furniture and Pampered Chef?

Bottom line WSM is a great , growing company. This is not another Pier One!! And besides, if you saw what my wife spends on their website, you'd probably buy the stock too lol.
I Agree the CEO Laura Alber is brilliant. Didn’t think of a buyout but that would make sense. Look at why I said I sold Lowes to buy this. That would make a lot of sense for a big box builder to snatch it up. Berk also has Restoration Hardware as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2021, 09:11 AM

37,602 posts, read 45,972,346 times
Quote:
Why is that odd? WSM is a great company, with a rock solid balance sheet (basically zero debt), with major quality brands in Williams-Sonoma, Pottery Barn and West Elm that have a tremendously loyal customer base. They have been executing brilliantly on their plan to reduce physical store count by closing many smaller stores and replacing them with fewer but larger stores (think like Apple stores) in major markets and driving e-commerce to record levels. Decent dividend growth and share repurchase programs, and a rock star in the making CEO. Recent earnings were huge beats on both top and bottom lines.

With a current PE of 15 this company is still relatively undervalued considering their growth potential. And with a market cap of 12.5 billion, I could see them being a buyout candidate. Maybe HD or LOW buys them, as they would be a great compliment to home improvement? Perhaps Berkshire sees them fitting in nicely with their premium home centered brands like Nebraska Furniture Mart, Jordans Furniture and Pampered Chef?

Bottom line WSM is a great , growing company. This is not another Pier One!! And besides, if you saw what my wife spends on their website, you'd probably buy the stock too lol.
Hey I love William Sonoma. But they have faded from the limelight, at least in my area. And I thought most investors here were against stocks for long-term investing anyway...But maybe I am remembering incorrectly. Anyway it just seems like William Sonoma is sort of a odd pick to me, being a retail outlet… I guess I just wouldn’t see that as a long-term investment. Of course what do I know. LOL. Hey I am always learning.

And for what it’s worth, I freaking loved Pier One and was so disappointed when they closed. I bought so much from that store… Such a shame.

Old 06-03-2021, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
I Agree the CEO Laura Alber is brilliant. Didn’t think of a buyout but that would make sense. Look at why I said I sold Lowes to buy this. That would make a lot of sense for a big box builder to snatch it up. Berk also has Restoration Hardware as well.
Also my apologies to many people I am not allowed to rep. This portion of the forum has a handful of people and it isn’t easy to spread rep around. I also think posting here too much lowers your rep ratio because of that. Not that it matters. Props to Treasure for getting me to finally pull the trigger on this. I was watching it when you mentioned earnings and finally got in.

Old 06-03-2021, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Hey I love William Sonoma. But they have faded from the limelight, at least in my area. And I thought most investors here were against stocks for long-term investing anyway...But maybe I am remembering incorrectly. Anyway it just seems like William Sonoma is sort of a odd pick to me, being a retail outlet… I guess I just wouldn’t see that as a long-term investment. Of course what do I know. LOL. Hey I am always learning.

And for what it’s worth, I freaking loved Pier One and was so disappointed when they closed. I bought so much from that store… Such a shame.
You seem to be forgetting long in this thread is defined as a year.

Old 06-03-2021, 09:29 AM

5,477 posts, read 6,298,764 times
Quote:
You seem to be forgetting long in this thread is defined as a year.
These days, a year is long term. There aren't many true long term investors left, it's not trendy enough. My definition of long term is simply buy quality companies that you understand when they are on sale and hold until the story behind the stock changes, be it 1, 3, 5, 10 years or longer. Long term to me does not mean buy, forget and hold forever.

Everyone's idea of long term is different, so we just kind of go with it in this thread lol.

Old 06-03-2021, 09:35 AM

Quote:

I get what you're saying here. I feel the same with with some of the flashy tech names that are so popular these days. Most of them are not profitable and engage in businesses that I don't understand, so I tend to stay away. But good long term investments can be found in any sector. Heck, I'm a 52 year old man who asks his daughters for their thoughts on stocks like LULU and ULTA - talk about businesses I don't understand lol - but both are great companies, and I'd be much more comfortable investing in either than TSLA or ARK anything.

BTW, I am currently long AAPL, BAC, BRK-B, DPZ, HD and V, and am building positions in CVS and WSM. Would love to get into AMAT and either LEN or DHI going forward.

Old 06-03-2021, 10:12 AM

Quote:
I get what you're saying here. I feel the same with with some of the flashy tech names that are so popular these days. Most of them are not profitable and engage in businesses that I don't understand, so I tend to stay away. But good long term investments can be found in any sector. Heck, I'm a 52 year old man who asks his daughters for their thoughts on stocks like LULU and ULTA - talk about businesses I don't understand lol - but both are great companies, and I'd be much more comfortable investing in either than TSLA or ARK anything.

BTW, I am currently long AAPL, BAC, BRK-B, DPZ, HD and V, and am building positions in CVS and WSM. Would love to get into AMAT and either LEN or DHI going forward.
Ugh you didn’t hop on the AMAt boat when it dipped to around $115 for no apparent reason?

Old 06-03-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Ugh you didn’t hop on the AMAt boat when it dipped to around $115 for no apparent reason?
No, lol, too busy watching other things at the time.

Old 06-03-2021, 12:57 PM

37,602 posts, read 45,972,346 times
Quote:
These days, a year is long term. There aren't many true long term investors left, it's not trendy enough. My definition of long term is simply buy quality companies that you understand when they are on sale and hold until the story behind the stock changes, be it 1, 3, 5, 10 years or longer. Long term to me does not mean buy, forget and hold forever.

Everyone's idea of long term is different, so we just kind of go with it in this thread lol.
Maybe not in this forum. The folks that I know personally, rarely ever even look at their investments. Hell a lot of them don't even know what they have.

(For me, long term is 10 years or more.)

Old 06-03-2021, 01:29 PM

18,060 posts, read 15,653,675 times
Quote:
Maybe not in this forum. The folks that I know personally, rarely ever even look at their investments. Hell a lot of them don't even know what they have.

(For me, long term is 10 years or more.)

Once a year review for any changes needed would do it, assuming the portfolio is optimally set up and allocated.

It's often 10 year time frames that get talked about, compared, and shown in charts posted on C-D, and sometimes longer time periods than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing