Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2021, 01:26 PM

106,569 posts, read 108,713,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Anyone who considers 1 year to be long-term is either kidding themselves or has terminal cancer.
Stocks are random in any given one year time frame ….anyone with a one year time frame shouldn’t be in stocks unless they are trading them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2021, 01:27 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Oh ok. Yeah I probably should pay more attention to that, but I don’t trust myself to make such changes. I don’t have a good track record for the times that I have made changes, so I let things ride. I had my Fidelity advisor review my entire portfolio recently and he said I was in good shape so I don’t worry about it too much.
Before I listen to any financial advisor, they must show me their personal portfolio.

Old 05-24-2021, 01:30 PM

106,569 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Financial advisors are not just about allocations ….

A good advisor does far more than tell you what to buy ..go find a stock broker for that…

Old 05-24-2021, 01:39 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
LMT - They arm half the world and are making a play at fusion. If the latter comes into existence, this will be the most valuable company in the world.
I've been in LMT since 2014 for the fusion speculation.

Quote:
Banks - Currently I don't have a great play on this... JPM seems to have the tech at the moment. ... Too big of an area to sit on the sidelines for though.
I'm in JPM. I consider its main risk to be political.

Quote:
Ok, wife says to stop talking so we can go to COST. Which is a pretty sweet company as well.
I've owned COST for a very, very long time.

Old 05-24-2021, 01:52 PM

5,470 posts, read 6,290,008 times
I just added a few more shares of CVS. It's a bit above what I want to pay, but my average cost is still below my $85.00 target but price, so I'm good with that. CVS is now about 1/3 position size.

Looking at AMAT and LEN as well.

Old 05-24-2021, 02:31 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I guess I tend to think of people with that kind of money as having their own investment advisors….with many of them never even thinking about what they own or invest in. Obviously that isn’t the case, and certainly when I reach the age where I am having to withdraw from my own accounts, I may be in that situation as well. Hopefully I will have learned more about taxable account management by then.
How much, in your estimation, is "that kind of money?"

Old 05-24-2021, 02:37 PM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
How much, in your estimation, is "that kind of money?"
I couldn’t name a dollar figure. But it would be a whole hell of a lot more than me…or either of my siblings. None of us have any holdings other than what exists in our retirement accounts.

Old 05-24-2021, 10:16 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,729,508 times
I just bought big (125k) in Boeing (BA). I think the Max 8 problems are behind, and as the covid factor fades the #1 airliner manufacturer will emerge to it's former glory. Great defense contracts and the only competitor is Airbus.

I have Southwest Airlines (LUV) for similar reasons. As the covid factor fades, travel will increase and LUV has always been one of the better operated airlines. They just expanded routes to Hawaii and are on the move.

I have DR Horton (DHI) because homebuilding is white-hot with no slowdown in sight.

I have United Rentals (URI) because construction is booming and the fundamentals are great.

I'll keep these until they stop performing. No plans to sell anytime soon. Maybe in 3-5 years.

Last edited by tommy64; 05-24-2021 at 10:28 PM..

Old 05-25-2021, 06:39 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,395,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
I just bought big (125k) in Boeing (BA). I think the Max 8 problems are behind, and as the covid factor fades the #1 airliner manufacturer will emerge to it's former glory. Great defense contracts and the only competitor is Airbus.

I have Southwest Airlines (LUV) for similar reasons. As the covid factor fades, travel will increase and LUV has always been one of the better operated airlines. They just expanded routes to Hawaii and are on the move.

I have DR Horton (DHI) because homebuilding is white-hot with no slowdown in sight.

I have United Rentals (URI) because construction is booming and the fundamentals are great.

I'll keep these until they stop performing. No plans to sell anytime soon. Maybe in 3-5 years.
DHI and URI are great picks.

Old 05-25-2021, 07:02 AM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times
I consider long-term to be more than 10 years.

Long term for cap gains purposes is at least 1 year, but as an investor I don't think of that as actually a long-term investment.

@lookingaround: I've been to a John Deere campus, and let me tell you it made me wish I was a golden retriever so I could roll around on those gorgeous lawns without getting strange looks from people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing