Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 11:25 PM

3 posts, read 16,360 times

Advertisements

Looking for some info on Lake City, Iowa....My wife has been contacted about a job there and we are considering it if the job pans out..It's an administrative position "salary $100,00+ a year" and we were thinking that it's probably really great money for the area...I'm yet to look for anything there as far as work goes "i'm bluecollar, i'm use to busting my butt for $$"....We lived in Naples, FL for a couple of years and the cost of living was crazy high there and she's been looking at a job in Daytona,FL that pays more than Lake City but I figure the cost of living in Lake City is well below that in FL so it would probably even out in the long run.
Anyone give me any info on that area? The schools "we have 3 girls", house market, cost of living, jobs, recreation "i'm a big outdoorsman" and things of that nature....We live in Kentucky right now so a small town isnt really culture shock to us, I'm a country boy so I'm use to it...Wife grew up in Cinn., OH so she prefers shopping over fishing & hunting, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 09:16 PM

226 posts, read 999,744 times
My Aunt lives in Lake City, IA and I'v been there several times. It's SMALL, they don't even have a stop light in the town. I would guess about 1,700 people in the town. The estimated mediam household income is $33,800, so you'll be set. The estimated mediam home value is 59,800. It's 98.1 white and 1.1 hispanic.

I love visiting Lake City, IA. So peaceful. I'd move there if I could make $100,000 a year. It's a place where your kids can ride there bikes outside around the block and you don't have to worry about them.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:37 AM

1 posts, read 4,729 times
I've lived in Lake City most of my life and it is really a nice little town. I have raised my own family here and one of my daughters has since moved back here. There is a lot of hometown pride. We have a hospital, nursing home, a home for the handicapped, good schools, and many more ammenitiies. Our town is family oriented and we have recently built a new library and are currently raising money to build a new swimming pool. The old pool is still in use. Even though we are a small town, we are 100 miles from Des Moines and closer to great shopping. We are also a few miles from communitiy colleges (22 miles and 42 miles). My husband is also a hunter and there are good places around here for deer and pheasant. We take pride in our town and it is a quiet and safe place to live. I hope this has answered some of your questions and good luck with your decision.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:17 AM

3 posts, read 16,360 times
Default Iowa

Thanks for the info on Lake City, actually my wife and my mother are there right now...They drove out there yesterday "July 8th" to stay for a few days, plus she's interviewing for the job today...Actually more of a meet & greet than an interview...I think the job is 99.9% her's if she wants it.
Honestly we're looking more at living a little closer to Fort Dodge just because we have done some research on it and it seems there is a bit more to do than in Lake City...If it were up to me Lake City would be fine, I like the small town life...But the wife is from the big city so she has to have shopping and stuff like that.

Gran4, I didnt want to come right out and say I was a hunter, didnt know how many tree-hugger's might be lurking on here and I didnt want to get into a war about how wrong it is to hunt & fish, I figured "outdoorsman" was a bit more PC...
The job she's looking at is at the hospital in Lake City, she had dinner with the CEO and other administrators and Dr's. last night...She called me and said everyone was super nice "something that never happened when we lived in FL, people in our sub-division looked down on us because we were from KY for the most part"...She said it was like she had known them forever...
So far it's looking good, looks like we might be making the move very shortly to Iowa, I'm glad, because I really dont care for the area of KY we live in right now...It's not the part that I grew up in and the people around here suck for the most part...Plus it's where my in-laws live and they like to be in control of what everyone in the family does 24-7.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:57 PM

1 posts, read 4,598 times
Default Job in Lake City

The hospital is a great place to work. Nice people. Great CEO. What job was she interviewing for? Did she get it?

Old 08-15-2008, 11:14 PM

2 posts, read 5,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Daddy View Post

Gran4, I didnt want to come right out and say I was a hunter, didnt know how many tree-hugger's might be lurking on here and I didnt want to get into a war about how wrong it is to hunt & fish, I figured "outdoorsman" was a bit more PC...
As a so called "tree hugger" I am offended by both your terminology and your brutality towards animals as a ahem...cough... so called: "sportsman", do us a favor and stay in Kentucky, we don't need any more slaughtered animals around here, the pig farms already smell bad enough.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:29 PM

603 posts, read 573,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack-boy View Post
The hospital is a great place to work. Nice people. Great CEO. What job was she interviewing for? Did she get it?
Not to resurrect an old thread, but is the hospital still a great place to work?

Old 08-04-2011, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,965 times
My immediate family and later my extended family moved to Lake City Iowa within the last 4 years and we love it here! I grew up in upstate New York, but moved to California in 1968. I lived for 4 years in Oregon, but spent the rest of the time in Central California. I lived at the beach and in cities. I have no desire to even return to California to visit. I feel safe here. There is very little crime. The housing is cheap. I am disabled, but if I wasn't I see many jobs that I would have been able to get. The sense of community is incredible. My car insurance went down 68%. The summers get hot and muggy, but they usually are not in the 100's or even above 90. I live for the spring and fall here. The weather then reminds me of the beach in California. We have a hospital, nursing home, hospice and home care, orthopedic surgeons, grocery store, variety, hardware, lumber, even a thrift store. We have our own newspaper. I paid $22K for my 3 bedroom house on a huge lot, where I rarely have to water my vegetable garden! Good luck finding all that anywhere else.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:12 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,906,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingrightalong... View Post
Not to resurrect an old thread, but is the hospital still a great place to work?
I am surprised that small of a town still has a hospital.

Jasper

Old 08-04-2011, 03:02 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,906,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehugger2 View Post
As a so called "tree hugger" I am offended by both your terminology and your brutality towards animals as a ahem...cough... so called: "sportsman", do us a favor and stay in Kentucky, we don't need any more slaughtered animals around here, the pig farms already smell bad enough.
I hugged a tree once and got a wood splinter. Exercise extreme caution with this activity.

Jasper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
View detailed profiles of: