U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-16-2010, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Midwest
1,005 posts, read 2,500,404 times
Reputation: 246

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Criminal elements from Chicago have moved in to Iowa City to reap the benefits of a liberal town. They perpetuate most of the crime in Iowa City. They live mostly at Lakeside Apartments and on the south side of town near K-mart. The new criminals also prey upon college students walking home from the bars at night. I have a friend who grew up in IC as well who is 6'5'' and 350 lbs who says that IC makes him a little nervous as well now. It is not a racial issue- he is black. The cops need to get a little tough on these types to clean up the town. This, however, will never happen in an enclave of liberalism. Having grown up in Iowa City and attended the U for all my education, I will not let my kids go to school there until things are cleaned up.
Oh no, this sounds just awful.

I know Iowa City is a nice liberal city but the crime is what scares me.

Last edited by timeofseasons; 01-16-2010 at 03:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-17-2010, 05:07 PM
 
Location: Sioux Falls, SD area
3,419 posts, read 4,889,396 times
Reputation: 5811
The authorities better wake up soon and get tough with the new imported criminals they've allowed to infiltrate the area south of Hwy. 6 before it's too late. If you drive around that area there are "For Sale" signs all over on nice houses that USED to be in a nice area. About every 3rd or 4th sign also has an added statement saying "Price Reduced".

So many residents are soooo concerned about the rights of these new thugs, they totally forget about the long standing residents whose neighborhoods used to be safe, but are now getting dangerous. Not to mention the destruction of their homes values.

And to think some politicians are trying to get Amtrak service from Chicago to Iowa City. Just can't get the riff raff here fast enough, huh.

So far the rest of the city is still pretty unchanged. Here's hope that it stays that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2010, 05:38 PM
 
20,645 posts, read 13,038,003 times
Reputation: 11853
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
The authorities better wake up soon and get tough with the new imported criminals they've allowed to infiltrate the area south of Hwy. 6 before it's too late. If you drive around that area there are "For Sale" signs all over on nice houses that USED to be in a nice area. About every 3rd or 4th sign also has an added statement saying "Price Reduced".

So many residents are soooo concerned about the rights of these new thugs, they totally forget about the long standing residents whose neighborhoods used to be safe, but are now getting dangerous. Not to mention the destruction of their homes values.

And to think some politicians are trying to get Amtrak service from Chicago to Iowa City. Just can't get the riff raff here fast enough, huh.

So far the rest of the city is still pretty unchanged. Here's hope that it stays that way.

The city is brain dead from liberalism and will do nothing. It is the death knell for the town, as more and more criminal elements will come to Iowa City to enjoy the benefits of free housing and easy crime. The city is full of twits who celebrate "diversity", while at the same time celebrating thier own demise. Too bad it had to happen to my home town. The cops used to be a little tougher when I was a kid and would not mind busting some heads to drive criminal elements out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2010, 09:39 PM
 
Location: Midwest
1,005 posts, read 2,500,404 times
Reputation: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The city is brain dead from liberalism and will do nothing. It is the death knell for the town, as more and more criminal elements will come to Iowa City to enjoy the benefits of free housing and easy crime. The city is full of twits who celebrate "diversity", while at the same time celebrating thier own demise. Too bad it had to happen to my home town. The cops used to be a little tougher when I was a kid and would not mind busting some heads to drive criminal elements out.
hawkeye2009 there are many liberal cities that are so safe, while there are many conservative places safe there also many conservative areas just as dangerous as Gary, Indiana. I have no ideal what is going on in Iowa City when speaking of crime but it doesn't sound pleasant. I didn't know Iowa City crime was growing....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2010, 08:44 PM
 
Location: Coralville/Ames, IA
267 posts, read 1,123,069 times
Reputation: 167
Yes, the crime numbers for 2009 will probably be higher than 2008. That said, I still don't think of Iowa City as a dangerous place. It certainly isn't as terrible as this thread is making it out to be. I wouldn't walk around the far southeast side at night, but there's no reason to. (And it would be illegal now, with the curfew and all.) Of course, there are crimes downtown too, but they're not widespread. I wouldn't hesitate to go to Iowa, but maybe that's just me.

It has nothing to do with Democrats or Amtrak, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2010, 11:44 AM
 
11,289 posts, read 23,021,372 times
Reputation: 11164
^ actually that's good to point out. While there is more crime in Iowa City, and its talked about because it's a very new thing, I would still NEVER call Iowa City a HIGH CRIME AREA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2010, 02:44 PM
 
4,709 posts, read 6,340,122 times
Reputation: 5919
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
Oh no, this sounds just awful.

I know Iowa City is a nice liberal city but the crime is what scares me.

lol, if Iowa City worries you, you must be scared of all small-mid sized cities in the U.S.

Large cites must cause blinding panic for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2010, 03:53 PM
 
Location: Chariton, Iowa
681 posts, read 2,808,201 times
Reputation: 446
Don't hang out on the Southeast side after dark or be stumbling drunk downtown after bar close. Doing either one means you're looking for trouble anyway.

Iowa City is fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2010, 08:26 AM
 
60 posts, read 191,749 times
Reputation: 35
I attend the university and I don't notice much crime at all. Apparently crime in Dubuque has been soaring, with many shootings and stabbings and bank robberies and what have you. But living on campus (which is definitely different from off campus) is a piece of cake. I would say the riskiest behavior for a college student here is walking downtown drunk at night. I walk around sober at night quite often and it's fine. If you pay attention you can hear trouble coming from a mile away in the form of screaming belligerent drunk *******s, and all you have to do is stay several yards away and ignore them. Also if you're a girl it's probably in your best interest to avoid walking around at night by yourself.

But in my experience here (2.5 years) the only crime I've seen is book prices
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2010, 05:44 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
297 posts, read 453,903 times
Reputation: 371
I just visited Iowa City in November. I walked all around the downtown and the campus area and it definitely did not come across a high crime place. I never felt unsafe at anytime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top