Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2014, 08:38 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,428,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Of course, people who are non-religious are peace-loving, like Lenin and Stalin.
Some people do not need religion to be tyrants, but in many cases it helps, because of the control of the people.

Some religions are good, some are pure evil.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:11 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,760,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_a49 View Post
Some people do not need religion to be tyrants, but in many cases it helps, because of the control of the people.

Some religions are good, some are pure evil.
I posted this in another thread. This is an interesting discussion about religion and violence, for anyone interested.

"All religion has the potential to create violence."

"Anytime, I argue, that someone thinks that he or she has God in their pocket, that they know exactly what God wants for them and for everybody else you have--I think you can argue historically--you have a disaster waiting to happen. People can justify doing anything when they are convinced they're carrying out exactly what God wants. We have to always be in all traditions far more humble in our approach to religious understanding, religious truths, and recognize that none of us possess the mind of God; that we are all in a process of growing and learning and changing. And so however powerful our religious perspective and experiences may be, that has to always be tempered by the fact that we are conditioned human beings in a process of learning but certainly not possessing the mind of God."

Examining the Intersection of Religion and Violence : NPR

Old 10-30-2014, 09:17 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
I posted this in another thread. This is an interesting discussion about religion and violence, for anyone interested.

"Anytime, I argue, that someone thinks that he or she has God in their pocket, that they know exactly what God wants for them and for everybody else you have--I think you can argue historically--you have a disaster waiting to happen. People can justify doing anything when they are convinced they're carrying out exactly what God wants. We have to always be in all traditions far more humble in our approach to religious understanding, religious truths, and recognize that none of us possess the mind of God; that we are all in a process of growing and learning and changing. And so however powerful our religious perspective and experiences may be, that has to always be tempered by the fact that we are conditioned human beings in a process of learning but certainly not possessing the mind of God."

Very good observation.

I find it compatible that we are all individuals and can not blame any religion on our bad behavior. We alone should have control over our actions.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post

Great post.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Very good observation.

I find it compatible that we are all individuals and can not blame any religion on our bad behavior. We alone should have control over our actions.
If you are under the influence of mind control with the religion, yes, it is still a persons fault for straying into evil, but the path is already laid out, It is just a question if you follow it.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
If you are under the influence of mind control with the religion, yes, it is still a persons fault for straying into evil, but the path is already laid out, It is just a question if you follow it.
I have found people are capable of using any ideology as justification for their evil acts. I no longer place the blame for the evil a person does, except upon their own desires.

We are all accountable for our own acts, to place the blame upon a person's religion, is an excuse not a reason.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
I have found people are capable of using any ideology as justification for their evil acts. I no longer place the blame for the evil a person does, except upon their own desires.

We are all accountable for our own acts, to place the blame upon a person's religion, is an excuse not a reason.
In many cases I put the blame on the persons choice of religion.

a person can join the KKK, or the Nazi party, and I cannot accept the excuse,
It is not the organizations fault.
Yes, they share the responsibility, but yes, I blame the persons choices.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:
In many cases I put the blame on the persons choice of religion.

a person can join the KKK, or the Nazi party, and I cannot accept the excuse,
It is not the organizations fault.
Yes, they share the responsibility, but yes, I blame the persons choices.
In my opinion it depends a persons perception of a religion and the reason they join.

There are people that do believe Islam teaches that violence is not only allowed, in some cases it is commanded. There are people who wrongly accept Islam because that is what they want Islam to be and they make their practice of Islam to be that. It is a case of "self fulfilling" Prophecy.

On the other hand the majority of Muslims find that Islam teaches peace and non-aggression and through Islam live a live of non-aggression.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:11 AM

Quote:
In my opinion it depends a persons perception of a religion and the reason they join.

There are people that do believe Islam teaches that violence is not only allowed, in some cases it is commanded. There are people who wrongly accept Islam because that is what they want Islam to be and they make their practice of Islam to be that. It is a case of "self fulfilling" Prophecy.

On the other hand the majority of Muslims find that Islam teaches peace and non-aggression and through Islam live a live of non-aggression.
And I think you will find the reason is because all of the others have already been exiled or killed.

It does teach peace within their own group.

It does teach war with non-believers.

Yes, there will always be exceptions, but to follow the religion as written, there is no room for exceptions.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:13 AM

Quote:

On the contrary, many ideologies do not allow evil acts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.