Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2014, 04:01 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,428,234 times

Advertisements

He is obviously Christian, however that does nothing to his knowledge of Islam.
He spent many years as a muslim, especially with his father, and has insite not known by the typical muslim.
His personal religion has nothing to do with Islamic doctrine, and he is repeating the same stuff anyone who knows about Islam says. There are a lot of people writing about this, of all faiths and non-faiths.

Old 11-01-2014, 04:03 PM

And I see nothing in his statement that favors, or even hints of Christianity, he is speaking purely Islam.

Old 11-01-2014, 04:04 PM

Or are we just "Killing the messenger" again because you cannot argue with his statement.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:06 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_a49 View Post
Or are we just "Killing the messenger" again because you cannot argue with his statement.
Nope

I just happen to have some doubts with this messenger.

Somethings don't Jive. While he is quite correct Qur'anic Arabic is not a spoken language.

I used to live in Morocco and learned Arabic at the University of Rabat. The Darija Arabic of Morocco is only spoken in Morocco, Algeria and by some of the Nomadic Arabs and Bedouins.

I still have trouble with any other Dialect of Arabic, but have no trouble understanding the Qur'anic Arabic.

The Qur'anic Arabic has a very small vocabulary, made up of less than 2,000 root words.

I do not see the problem he speaks of.

Yes I am a bit untrusting of him as I have come across too many "Christian" Evangelists that claim to be former Muslims. ( I use Christian loosely as his actions do not seem to be very Christian)

Most come out to be like Whalid Shoebat, Charlatains that discovered the lucrative path of being an ex-Muslim condemning Islam.

Now to go back to his claim that
Quote:
"In fact, beheading is commanded in the Koran in Sura 47, the 4th verse. It says when you meet the unbelievers and fight; smite at their necks," he quoted the Koran.
If he had even been a non practicing Muslim he would have known what Surah 47 ayyat 4 states (It also is not likely he would have used the word verse.)

If the ayyat is speaking about beheading, why would it be necessary to "Tighten their bonds" after doing so and how would you turn a beheaded person loose.

Quote:
47:4 (Asad) NOW WHEN you meet those who are bent on denying the truth, smite their necks until you overcome them fully, and then tighten their bonds; but thereafter [set them free,] either by an act of grace or against ransom, so that the burden of war may be lifted: thus [shall it be]. And [know that] had God so willed, He could indeed punish them [Himself]; but [He wills you to struggle] so as to test you [all] by means of one another. And as for those who are slain in God’s cause, never will He let their deeds go to waste:
A bit sneaky to quote PART of a sentence and claim it to be a teaching of Islam.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
You see no difference in targeting known terrorist who are committing horrible atrocities and duly elected officials (and an innocent honor guard standing at a national monument to fallen soldiers)?

If you don't see the difference, then the world is indeed a sad place.
You are deflecting.

I see lots of horror all over, but this topic is about Islam.

You cannot justify horror and terror, just because someone else does it.

if Johnny steals an apple,...No,... it is not OK for Billy to steal one.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Nope

I just happen to have some doubts with this messenger.

This messenger is not saying anything different than dozens of others.

I would write the same thing, What excuse would you use for me, I am not a Christian.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
This messenger is not saying anything different than dozens of others.

I would write the same thing, What excuse would you use for me, I am not a Christian.
Would you truncate

47:4 (Asad) NOW WHEN you meet those who are bent on denying the truth, smite their necks until you overcome them fully, and then tighten their bonds; but thereafter [set them free,] either by an act of grace or against ransom, so that the burden of war may be lifted: thus [shall it be]. And [know that] had God so willed, He could indeed punish them [Himself]; but [He wills you to struggle] so as to test you [all] by means of one another. And as for those who are slain in God’s cause, never will He let their deeds go to waste:

To read

47:4 (Asad) NOW WHEN you meet those who are bent on denying the truth, smite their necks.

As Bro Rachid did?

Old 11-01-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Would you truncate

To read

47:4 (Asad) NOW WHEN you meet those who are bent on denying the truth, smite their necks.

As Bro Rachid did?
There are endless reasons why this verse could have been written in the form it is, from missing text, to ignorance, to multiple events happening at once. but much of the Qur'an is written in the same form.
It is the constant repetition of verses of beheading that puts it into it's context.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
There are endless reasons why this verse could have been written in the form it is, from missing text, to ignorance, to multiple events happening at once. but much of the Qur'an is written in the same form.
It is the constant repetition of verses of beheading that puts it into it's context.
Constant?

The word beheading is not used in the Qur'an, Smite is used 6 times

Quote:
Al-Baqara (The Cow)

2:264 (Asad) O you who have attained to faith! Do not deprive your charitable deeds of all worth by stressing your own benevolence and hurting [the feelings of the needy], as does he who spends his wealth only to be seen and praised by men, and believes not in God and the Last Day: for his parable is that of a smooth rock with [a little] earth upon it - and then a rainstorm Smites it and leaves it hard and bare. Such as these shall have no gain whatever from all their [good] works: for God does not guide people who refuse to acknowledge the truth.

Al-Baqara (The Cow)

2:265 (Asad) And the parable of those who spend their possessions out of a longing to please God, and out of their own inner certainty, is that of a garden on high, fertile ground: a rainstorm Smites it, and thereupon it brings forth its fruit twofold; and if no rainstorm Smites it, soft rain [falls upon it]. And God sees all that you do.

Al-Imran (The Family of Imran)

3:117 (Asad) The parable of what they spend on the life of this world is that of an icy wind which Smites the tilth of people who have sinned against themselves, and destroys it: for, it is not God who does them wrong, but it is they who are wronging themselves. [86]

Al-A'raf (The Heights)

7:100 (Asad) Has it, then, not become obvious unto those who have inherited the earth in the wake of former generations [80] that, if We so willed, We could Smite them [too] by means of their sins, sealing their hearts so that they cannot hear [the truth]? [81]

Al-A'raf (The Heights)

7:149 (Asad) although [later,] when they would Smite their hands in remorse, [114] having perceived that they had gone astray, they would say, "Indeed, unless our Sustainer have mercy on us and grant us forgiveness, we shall most certainly be among the lost!" [115]

Muhammad

47:4 (Asad) NOW WHEN you meet [in war] those who are bent on denying the truth, [4] Smite their necks until you overcome them fully, and then tighten their bonds; [5] but thereafter [set them free,] either by an act of grace or against ransom, so that the burden of war may be lifted: [6] thus [shall it be]. And [know that] had God so willed, He could indeed punish them [Himself]; but [He wills you to struggle] so as to test you [all] by means of one another. [7] And as for those who are slain in God’s cause, never will He let their deeds go to waste:

Old 11-01-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Addressing the rest of your post

The Arabic in every Qur'an is the same.

While many Muslims can not read Arabic virtually every one will hear the entire Qur'an recited at least once a year.

There is no reason to truncate an Ayyat except to deceive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.