Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 07:09 AM

8,956 posts, read 20,382,577 times

Advertisements

I would have to agree with both of you (movinaround1 and madcap) about the smoke spittin out and the lawn spraying.......however, I won't go as far as to say "most of the smaller boats". I'd just say "a few boats". But still.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 07:31 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,513,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I would have to agree with both of you (movinaround1 and madcap) about the smoke spittin out and the lawn spraying.......however, I won't go as far as to say "most of the smaller boats". I'd just say "a few boats". But still.
All outboards smoke to some extent, 2 strokes worse than 4 strokes!

Old 03-19-2012, 08:41 AM

133 posts, read 192,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post

lol maybe i was just there on raggedy boat day lol

Old 03-19-2012, 08:43 AM

133 posts, read 192,608 times
What's that foam in the water?

What causes foam to appear on rivers, lakes and streams?

As with most liquids, water molecules are normally attracted to each other. This attraction creates tension at the surface of the water, often referred to as a thin "skin," which allows some insects to glide across it.
  • When leaves, twigs or other organic substances fall into water and begin decaying, they release compounds known as surfacants.
  • This interaction breaks the surface tension, which in turn allows air to more easily mix with water and creates bubbles. These bubbles congregate as natural foam.
  • However, not all foam is natural. Certain man-made products, including detergents, can cause foam that is similar in appearance, but may be harmful to fish and other aquatic life.
When am I most likely to see natural foam on a waterbody?
  • On a windy day, because foam occurs when air mixes with water to form bubbles.
  • During the fall when trees drop their leaves and aquatic plants begin to die back and decompose.
  • Throughout the spring as plants lose their buds.
  • When the outdoor temperature rises, because heat accelerates plant decay, which releases the organic substances that contribute to foam.
  • During soil erosion events or from human activities, such as gravel washing.
Is foam harmful?
  • Foam is usually harmless. In fact, only 1 percent of the foam you see on a waterbody is the actual foaming agent; the rest is air and water.
  • However, excess foam is sometimes the result of too much phosphorus in the water.
  • Although phosphorus in an important plant nutrient, it is not found abundantly in nature and too much of it is indicative of pollution from human activities.
  • Excessive phosphorous can result in nuisance algae blooms, fish kills due to low dissolved oxygen from decomposition processes, and irregularities with the water's taste and odor.
How can I tell what kind of foam it is?

Although it's difficult to know for sure, foam from various sources can have different characteristics.

got this from
RappFLOW
[CENTER]Natural foam usually:[/CENTER]
  • appears as light tan or brown in color, but may be white;
  • smells earthy, fishy or has fresh cut grass odor;
  • can occur over large areas and accumulate in large amounts, especially on windward shores, in coves and eddies; and
  • dissipates fairly quickly, except when agitated (as in high wind conditions).
[CENTER]Unnatural foam from human activity usually:[/CENTER]
  • appears white in color;
  • gives off a fragrant, perfumed or soapy odor; and
  • usually occurs over small area, localized near source of discharge.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:22 AM

Some foam seen this morning in Riverside, not too bad but it's there.
Attached Thumbnails
St. John's River FOAM-dsc_0002-10.jpg  

Old 03-28-2012, 04:56 PM

No FOAM seen on the best side of the river this morning, from Avondale to The Landing. The fog was everywhere though!

Old 03-31-2012, 07:47 AM

Foams back not to much but goes all the way from Avondale to The Landing. A 3' wide spotty patch, 5' off of the north shore bulkhead.
Attached Thumbnails
St. John's River FOAM-292283_418286344855579_100000226528836_1836842_1249063645_n.jpg  

Old 04-05-2012, 06:29 AM

Real bad foam seen on the river this morning in the Historic Riverside area. Very little wind out of the south but an outgoing tide may have forced it all onto the northwest bank of the St Johns River.
The worst foam was observed from St Vincents to just past Memorial Park. (King Street to Lomax Street)
Attached Thumbnails
St. John's River FOAM-dsc_0001-16.jpg  

Old 04-15-2012, 06:39 AM

Real Heavy FOAM seen in Riverside today with a strong SE wind pushing it against the north bank.
Attached Thumbnails
St. John's River FOAM-dsc_0001.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville