Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2011, 07:29 AM

5,130 posts, read 6,127,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb60625 View Post
I struggled between relocating to Tampa or Jacksonville. Unfortunately, I chose Jacksonville Beach. Well, my business was in Jax Beach, but I lived in Ponte Vedra. After living in several big cities: Chicago, Atlanta, Indianapolis & Seattle, I must admit that the entire Duval / St. Johns County areas are BORING! It's really a weird city. Let me explain:

The "Jax" Beach areas are very, very white trash! Also, beach folk despise "townies", or are just too damn lazy to "cross the ditch" into Jacksonville proper. Beach people are definitely a different breed.

Now, as far as Jacksonville itself, there are a few decent areas. Town Center is nice, and growing. If you want character, Riverside seems cool. But, the Downtown is DEAD! Nothing but homeless beggars, everywhere! This city has miserably failed to revive Downtown. Absolutely pathetic!

All in all, I wanted to slit my wrist while living there. I couldn't wait to move, and wouldn't wish this type of life upon my worst enemy.
A lot of truth to what you have said, all in all the area will give you a great quality of life and affordability, but it is not anything like Chicago, LA and Boston. You have to find an area that you can get comfortable and make the most of it. Your also dead on about the downtown, but we have accepted the fact that it will most likely not be in our life time that we will see a revitalized downtown. This is why when moving to Jacksonville people need to rent and explore the area and all the different things it offers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 07:40 AM

35 posts, read 46,788 times
It's simple, really. If you're a boring person, you'll find every place boring. If you're an interesting person, you'll find something interesting about every place.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:31 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,570,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rls929 View Post
It's simple, really. If you're a boring person, you'll find every place boring. If you're an interesting person, you'll find something interesting about every place.
so true

Old 02-07-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb60625 View Post
I struggled between relocating to Tampa or Jacksonville. Unfortunately, I chose Jacksonville Beach. Well, my business was in Jax Beach, but I lived in Ponte Vedra. After living in several big cities: Chicago, Atlanta, Indianapolis & Seattle, I must admit that the entire Duval / St. Johns County areas are BORING! It's really a weird city. Let me explain:

The "Jax" Beach areas are very, very white trash! Also, beach folk despise "townies", or are just too damn lazy to "cross the ditch" into Jacksonville proper. Beach people are definitely a different breed.

Now, as far as Jacksonville itself, there are a few decent areas. Town Center is nice, and growing. If you want character, Riverside seems cool. But, the Downtown is DEAD! Nothing but homeless beggars, everywhere! This city has miserably failed to revive Downtown. Absolutely pathetic!

All in all, I wanted to slit my wrist while living there. I couldn't wait to move, and wouldn't wish this type of life upon my worst enemy.
I would hardly call Indianapolis a "Major" city. I have family in Indy and I think Jax is better

Old 02-07-2011, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 7,738 times
I have lived in Jacksonville for 20 years. My first encounter with the city, it was a large expance of dormant village. Then the call centers (Best biz its leaders could attract!!!) came. Attracted a lot of villagers from all around the city, adding to the Jacksonville villagers. That mess brought a lot of country acting guys with brand new chinese, petroleum made suits, pretending to be billionaires, yet still country, hatefull of difference, and Jacksonville stopped being a nice place.

You can't get job here, unless you talk like them, walk and dress like them. Jacksonville is the largest red neck village in the world.

Hypocrits and pretenders fill the offices, where only like minded work in the name of "fit in". And yet they are all "christians".

The only difference tolerated is Homosexuality, Not even lesbians are well received (A man is always best even in sin, in a city of christians-"-).

I travel a lot. Whenever I come back to Jax, I feel like walking on egg shells. You never know when the guy next to you is sincere or not. Fake American smille is all too alive here.

Most disgusting is the "christians" blind faith in the city leaders, most of whom are conservative and anti woman, anti diversity, and pretending not to be.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliou View Post
I have lived in Jacksonville for 20 years. My first encounter with the city, it was a large expance of dormant village. Then the call centers (Best biz its leaders could attract!!!) came. Attracted a lot of villagers from all around the city, adding to the Jacksonville villagers. That mess brought a lot of country acting guys with brand new chinese, petroleum made suits, pretending to be billionaires, yet still country, hatefull of difference, and Jacksonville stopped being a nice place.

You can't get job here, unless you talk like them, walk and dress like them. Jacksonville is the largest red neck village in the world.

Hypocrits and pretenders fill the offices, where only like minded work in the name of "fit in". And yet they are all "christians".

The only difference tolerated is Homosexuality, Not even lesbians are well received (A man is always best even in sin, in a city of christians-"-).

I travel a lot. Whenever I come back to Jax, I feel like walking on egg shells. You never know when the guy next to you is sincere or not. Fake American smille is all too alive here.

Most disgusting is the "christians" blind faith in the city leaders, most of whom are conservative and anti woman, anti diversity, and pretending not to be.
Make some new friends!

Old 02-07-2011, 04:25 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,364,436 times
I love JAX, really love it! I think there's a young vibe there maybe because they have jobs. I love that they have quasi-four seasons, I love that they have deciduous trees, and I think they have some good restaurants. What I don't like is that they seem to have a rain band, almost constantly, passing through so the rain ratio to the rest of FL has to stink. I also think it's hotter and more humid there than South Florida during the summer months. Weather always messes up forum discussions, so weather aside, I think JAX rocks!

Old 02-07-2011, 05:44 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,706,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
I love JAX, really love it! I think there's a young vibe there maybe because they have jobs. I love that they have quasi-four seasons, I love that they have deciduous trees, and I think they have some good restaurants. What I don't like is that they seem to have a rain band, almost constantly, passing through so the rain ratio to the rest of FL has to stink. I also think it's hotter and more humid there than South Florida during the summer months. Weather always messes up forum discussions, so weather aside, I think JAX rocks!
hotter and more humid than south Fla?
more rain than the rest of Fla?
That just doesn't seem true. I think I'll look it up.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:53 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,734,051 times
Someone here doesn't know what they are talking about. LOL.

Ft Lauderdale is warmer than Jacksonville by 6 degrees and wetter by 15.2 inches.

Miami is warmer by 7 degrees and wetter by 9.6 inches.

These are average numbers according to The Weather Channel.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:59 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,639,043 times
I'll say one thing about Jacksonville,no NFL team belongs there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville