Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2011, 05:24 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times

Advertisements

We just got back from a week stay in the City of Beverly Hills. Believe me - no one there - young or old - says he or she lives in Los Angeles.

And people who golf (mostly people with money) know PVB a lot more than they know JAX.

For me - the downtown JAX thing is getting *really* old - especially the stuff about doing something with the homeless. Even in Santa Monica - the uber liberal "home" of the "homeless" - they've had a crack down of sorts. Herding the homeless away from areas where people live - shop - and dine. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 05:28 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
We just got back from a week stay in the City of Beverly Hills. Believe me - no one there - young or old - says he or she lives in Los Angeles.

Robyn
How true but they do it with a fake British accent and their pinkie finger pointing up as they sip their tea kind of like the PVB snobs do.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:07 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,115,292 times
Ponte Vedra is no Beverly Hills. 90210: one of the zip codes covering Mulholland Drive. Come on now, there is even a bevy of shows oriented to Beverly Hills. A kid from Indonesia has probably heard of Beverly Hills. If you are a huge golfer and opt out of vacationing in South Florida, you may have heard of PVB and may be a routine visitor or second homeowner.

Having told many people I am from Jacksonville, and sometimes being asked where in Jacksonville I am from, it seems more people know about the Landing than anywhere. A lot of people know the "bridge that lights up at night." A lot of people know PVB, some people know Jax Beach, and old money in the south/businessmen/young professionals seem to know Ortega, San Marco, and Avondale very well. Still, most people don't know Jacksonville all that well at all, but Jacksonville has more name recognition than Ponte Vedra to more people. It's comparing a city of almost 900,000 people that anchors a region of 2,000,000 people versus a subtly exclusive beach community with excellent golf and only 25,000 people. More people know St. Augustine than PVB.

Buckhead is far wealthier than PVB, and far larger, and yet people who grew up in the area claim Atlanta. It's easier than explaining to someone from St. Louis or Vermont or Canada or California that Buckhead is one of the "nice" areas in town just north of the CBD. At this point all of Atlanta is becoming quite nice, so there's no shame in claiming Atlanta.

Also, downtown LA is booming. Target is going in, along with a slew of other national retailers. There are close to 72,000 people within a 1.5 mile radius whereas a decade ago there were only about 30,000. Downtowns that have suffered for the past 50-60 years in this country are making the best comebacks of any neighborhoods in their respective cities. We have found that Life Insurance companies looking to invest in multifamily projects (the best real estate product out there right now) are typically looking for core walking streets in active urban areas. They are not looking to fund garden apartments, suburban student housing, or large master-planned communities in suburban areas. They want density, uniqueness, pedestrian traffic, and quality. They want cities with lots of highly educated and upwardly mobile young people (a group synonymous with urban living and high paying jobs). Jacksonville is just slow to catch on, but you are behind the times if you think upscale resort and/or suburban golfing communities like Ponte Vedra are the end all be all in 2010-2020.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:16 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,506,210 times
Downtown LA is a ****hole and I'm being kind. Spend basically the months of Feb. And Mar. there. It might be booming, but you wouldn't know outside the LA Live and Staples Center area.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:20 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
How true but they do it with a fake British accent and their pinkie finger pointing up as they sip their tea kind of like the PVB snobs do.

I had a job years aog doing customer care for comcast. A coworker had fun w a guy in Ponte Vedra not wanting to say he lived near Jacksonville. ( we were here in Jax but a call center can be anywhere) She asked they guy is that near Jax...

PVB guy "oh no its on the coast near St Augustine"
COM " i have never heard of that"
PVB " Yes it one of the wealthiest towns in Florida"
COM "Oh I see it on the map... its right near Yulee"

He didnt like that.

I also used to change addressed that had Amelia Island to Fernandina. Same zip code... Funt to mess w pretentious people

Old 09-22-2011, 11:51 AM

I can see if your in Beverly Hills not admitting its part of La. Socio/economicly its not.
La. is reality, Beverly Hills is a fantasy land to most people even those in La.
But come on now all Ponte Vedre is, is an uppity suburb of Palm Valley! Get Real now!!!
I really love it when people who live in a trailer in Palm Valley say they live in Ponte Vedre...LOL
Ortega has more wealth than Ponte Vedre, but the people who live there say they are from Jacksonville. Because they are.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:29 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
Yea, I can picture your friends and family telling someone from Seattle who asks where they are from that they reside in "Ponte Vedra." Nice try. It's 15 miles from downtown Jax and should be in Duval County (know your history and your geography before you make such ridiculous posts). Half the homes there are 2nd homes of people who live in town anyway. Comparing Manhattan to Jacksonville is entirely different. There is no "city" in Jacksonville, so the metro is it. We aren't big enough and dense enough to be able to tell people that we are from eastern Long Island, Great Neck, Far Rockaway, Edison NJ, Westchester, "the City", Brooklyn, South Bronx, etc. Really only New Yorkers have the general name recognition of their areas to do that. In Jacksonville, no matter the suburb, one kind of has to say in or near Jacksonville for anyone to picture it in their head (and not everyone even knows where Jacksonville is, so NE FL might be a better description).

St. Aug, the same. It is closer to Jacksonville than Palm Beach is to Fort Lauderdale. Unless you live in a geriatric community on south Anastasia Island, your commute to town for work is going to be 30-40 minutes tops, which is better than almost anyone's commute in most any other large city. That makes St. Aug a part of Jax, not to mention the history shared between the two going back further than anywhere else in the country!

People in Brooklyn and Queens call Manhattan "the City". Around NY/NJ they would say I am from Brooklyn, Queens or even teh neighborhood like Flushing or Park Slope. But if they were in Yellowstone and someone asked where are you from they would say "New York"

Old 09-24-2011, 07:12 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post

And people who golf (mostly people with money) know PVB a lot more than they know JAX.

For me - the downtown JAX thing is getting *really* old - especially the stuff about doing something with the homeless. Even in Santa Monica - the uber liberal "home" of the "homeless" - they've had a crack down of sorts. Herding the homeless away from areas where people live - shop - and dine. Robyn
But everyone knows BH is apart of LA Metro region...WE ALL KNOW THIS. Its Beverly Hills....DUH

Old 09-24-2011, 07:25 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
Ponte Vedra is no Beverly Hills. 90210: one of the zip codes covering Mulholland Drive. Come on now, there is even a bevy of shows oriented to Beverly Hills. A kid from Indonesia has probably heard of Beverly Hills. If you are a huge golfer and opt out of vacationing in South Florida, you may have heard of PVB and may be a routine visitor or second homeowner.

Having told many people I am from Jacksonville, and sometimes being asked where in Jacksonville I am from, it seems more people know about the Landing than anywhere. A lot of people know the "bridge that lights up at night." A lot of people know PVB, some people know Jax Beach, and old money in the south/businessmen/young professionals seem to know Ortega, San Marco, and Avondale very well. Still, most people don't know Jacksonville all that well at all, but Jacksonville has more name recognition than Ponte Vedra to more people. It's comparing a city of almost 900,000 people that anchors a region of 2,000,000 people versus a subtly exclusive beach community with excellent golf and only 25,000 people. More people know St. Augustine than PVB.

Buckhead is far wealthier than PVB, and far larger, and yet people who grew up in the area claim Atlanta. It's easier than explaining to someone from St. Louis or Vermont or Canada or California that Buckhead is one of the "nice" areas in town just north of the CBD. At this point all of Atlanta is becoming quite nice, so there's no shame in claiming Atlanta.

Also, downtown LA is booming. Target is going in, along with a slew of other national retailers. There are close to 72,000 people within a 1.5 mile radius whereas a decade ago there were only about 30,000. Downtowns that have suffered for the past 50-60 years in this country are making the best comebacks of any neighborhoods in their respective cities. We have found that Life Insurance companies looking to invest in multifamily projects (the best real estate product out there right now) are typically looking for core walking streets in active urban areas. They are not looking to fund garden apartments, suburban student housing, or large master-planned communities in suburban areas. They want density, uniqueness, pedestrian traffic, and quality. They want cities with lots of highly educated and upwardly mobile young people (a group synonymous with urban living and high paying jobs). Jacksonville is just slow to catch on, but you are behind the times if you think upscale resort and/or suburban golfing communities like Ponte Vedra are the end all be all in 2010-2020.
See this is funny Simms is from Ortega area and I am from 103rd-Firestone area and when I meet people they always ask me about The Landing? The high red bridge(Mathews), the bridge with the lights (Main Street), Riverside neighborhood, The St Augustine Castle (Castillo de San Marcos), The Jaguars...certain things are always asked about. Ive never been asked about PVB.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
See this is funny Simms is from Ortega area and I am from 103rd-Firestone area.
WOW!!! Ortega to Firestone/103rd Street just 4 miles apart. And seperated by a river, a world and hundreds of thousands of dollars away! And just think now your both in Atlanta, it's like kismet.

BTW Simms is is from Fairfax not Ortega.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville