Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 08:22 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,511,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
There are 2 large hubs of young people: the beaches and the general downtown area.

If you want to be near the beach....then you'd want to live at the beach!

If you don't mind a 20 minute drive or so, then you can live in the other 80% of Jax.
My first impression would be one of the more progressive areas of Riverside or San Marco or even Springfield would be perfect for them to take up residence in. A great old home in a historical neighborhood with urban neighbors ... what could be better.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:27 AM

134 posts, read 254,428 times
What made you come to the jax section anyhow. Are you familiar at all with this area?

Just asking

Old 05-06-2011, 10:05 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWantOutOfMichigan View Post
I take your reply a little offensive. Actually my fiance and I both applied and were accepted to The University of South Florida in Tampa and Nova Southeastern University in Jacksonville Florida. Those are the only places we have applied to. Our grades are excellent and we will be transferring from Michigan State University (where we currently attend). Also, when did I ever say I will need in-state tuition rates? We spend and save our money very wisely and we have enough money to cover out of state tuition. By the way, why does it matter if I was accepted or not? We aren't moving for another year so we still have time to apply at other universities incase we decide not to move to Tampa or Jacksonville. My reason for posting this topic in many areas of Florida is because I want to find the best possible place to move before I choose a place that is not right for us. I was planning on getting a job set before we move just to keep me more busy, but I figured since I will be attending school full-time then that will keep me busy enough. I did not mention anywhere in my posting concerning being admitted to a college or having to pay in-state tuition because all of that is already covered and we will be applying to a couple other universities as well. If you do not have a polite answer or suggestion for me, please do not reply to my posting.
If you re-read that post, I believe Robyn was merely trying to point out a few things that you may or may not have thought of. You wouldn't believe the number of people that ask questions about Jacksonville who have absolutely no clue what they are getting into when moving across the country. Considering the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition is astronomical, so pointing that out is a fairly sensible thing to do.

Doing research on different cities is a great idea, however you may want to put in your initial post that employment is not a consideration. In this time of scarce jobs opportunities, employment looms fairly large in the greater scheme of things.

It's great that all your finances are covered, but when you don't point that out in your original post, you can pretty much expect people to ask about your general financial status.

Robyn's further posts asking about financial matters were not, imo, expected to get an actual figure. I read them as merely trying to point out that you may want to get some actual expense numbers before you traipse across the country to warmer climates. I lived in Michigan for a while, and I don't blame you for wanting out, but the cost of living in Florida is going to be MUCH higher than it is there. Funds that could last you several years in Michigan may only last a couple in some areas of Florida.

Hmm, in trying to come up with a polite answer or suggestion, I can only think of one. Since you seem to have more than enough financial stability, why don't you spend some of those funds on etiquette courses? If nothing else, they may teach you to not get quite so snotty when people are trying to give you the help that you asked for.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:22 AM

28 posts, read 60,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Odd, after reading a couple of replies made by the OP, my first impression was Miami. At least the self-important attitude would fit in down there.
That was not called for one bit. I am in no way self-absorbed! I was getting offended by robyn55's replies because she was beating me down with continuously trying to talk me into telling her how much money I have...that is very rude. It's not a logical question to ask someone how much money they have and do assume they have not been accepted into a college, etc. It's normal to be offended by those questions. How in the world does any of my posts reveal that I may be self-absorbed? I guess I can see that I will not be moving to Jacksonville, there are too many people replying to my post from there that are just down right mean and judgemental, including you JimRom...must be a Jacksonville area thing.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:36 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,007,497 times
Default florida

Robyn...these two lovebirds are probably on some sort of financial assistance ( i.e entitlements, your tax dollars) so that they may attend USF...since MSU isnt good enough for them....

ignore them..and hopefulyl they will go to UMASS or some other preppie left wing school in the northeast....

Old 05-06-2011, 10:49 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,281,701 times
Well, it seems like the crazies are out in full force today.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:55 AM

1,071 posts, read 2,897,929 times
Michigan couple, I think that you have rightly discerned that Jacksonville would not be a good fit for you. I would suggest looking at schools and areas to live that are between West Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale. Try posting on those areas of City Data and see what kind of response you get there. i think you will find that your list of "wants" for an area will be met there. FYI, you may hear horror stories about the commuting traffic there. Traffic can be bad in the immediate Miami area, but is in no way what I consider bad north of Fort Lauderdate. Keep in mind that a huge part of Florida is populated by retirees who will be trying to give you advice based on their long-life experience. They will offer their advice and opinions as if you are their child or niece. They really don't mean to offend. If this bothers you, I sincerely suggest that perhaps you might want to consider California where your independent spirit will likely be admired. Best Wishes as you move forward.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:00 AM

28 posts, read 60,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Robyn...these two lovebirds are probably on some sort of financial assistance ( i.e entitlements, your tax dollars) so that they may attend USF...since MSU isnt good enough for them....

ignore them..and hopefulyl they will go to UMASS or some other preppie left wing school in the northeast....
Wow...you are more than wrong. We are not on any sort of financial assistance what so ever...how wrong of you to even say. Obviously you haven't paid very close attention to my postings. I want out of Michigan because it is boring and miserable, not because I don't like MSU. This is just ridiculous, all I asked for where some suggestions on where we should move to, not to have accusations thrown out at me about financial stuff.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:12 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
Wow. Just wow. I was raised in Jax but I now reside in Georgia, and while we might be considered racist up there, we are at the very least polite. I cannot believe the attitude of the people on this board towards a person just asking for information. It's none of your business how they plan on paying for anything. And then personal attacks against her? Disgusting.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:13 AM

5,217 posts, read 6,147,251 times
I really sincerly think no one here meant to offend you. Jacksonville has about the same land area as LA only much smaller population. There are just to many areas to live here depending on if you need transportation, need part time employment, fixed income, etc. There are just to many variables in Jacksonville and our questions are meant to pin point an area for you that meets your needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville