Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 02:13 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,499,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
If you re-read that post, I believe Robyn was merely trying to point out a few things that you may or may not have thought of. You wouldn't believe the number of people that ask questions about Jacksonville who have absolutely no clue what they are getting into when moving across the country. Considering the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition is astronomical, so pointing that out is a fairly sensible thing to do.

Doing research on different cities is a great idea, however you may want to put in your initial post that employment is not a consideration. In this time of scarce jobs opportunities, employment looms fairly large in the greater scheme of things.

It's great that all your finances are covered, but when you don't point that out in your original post, you can pretty much expect people to ask about your general financial status.

Robyn's further posts asking about financial matters were not, imo, expected to get an actual figure. I read them as merely trying to point out that you may want to get some actual expense numbers before you traipse across the country to warmer climates. I lived in Michigan for a while, and I don't blame you for wanting out, but the cost of living in Florida is going to be MUCH higher than it is there. Funds that could last you several years in Michigan may only last a couple in some areas of Florida.

Hmm, in trying to come up with a polite answer or suggestion, I can only think of one. Since you seem to have more than enough financial stability, why don't you spend some of those funds on etiquette courses? If nothing else, they may teach you to not get quite so snotty when people are trying to give you the help that you asked for.
I think your read of what I wrote is correct. And if I were changing colleges mid-stream (which the OP is doing) - my primary concern would be the college - how good it is. Not the beach. Nova Southeastern in JAX doesn't seem to be that well regarded (it is basically a small satellite of the "mother ship" in Davie Florida). USF is huge. And although it had a decent football team this year (it actually won its Bowl Game - the Meineke Car Care Bowl - can you believe that name ) - it isn't exactly an academic powerhouse:

USF's below-average graduation rate called a 'major weakness' - St. Petersburg Times

I doubt either school is anywhere near as good as the one the OP is attending now.

Anyway - I froze while I was getting my education up north - and I didn't get my place on the beach in sunny Florida until I was 26 (didn't have to defer gratification for too long ). But I was very glad in later years that I got the education I got (and I think getting an excellent education is probably ten times as important now as it was back then). Robyn

Old 05-06-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Odd, after reading a couple of replies made by the OP, my first impression was Miami. At least the self-important attitude would fit in down there.
I think Miami flunks the "not too much traffic" requirement. Robyn

Old 05-06-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWantOutOfMichigan View Post
That was not called for one bit. I am in no way self-absorbed! I was getting offended by robyn55's replies because she was beating me down with continuously trying to talk me into telling her how much money I have...that is very rude. It's not a logical question to ask someone how much money they have and do assume they have not been accepted into a college, etc. It's normal to be offended by those questions. How in the world does any of my posts reveal that I may be self-absorbed? I guess I can see that I will not be moving to Jacksonville, there are too many people replying to my post from there that are just down right mean and judgemental, including you JimRom...must be a Jacksonville area thing.
I think you're being perhaps a little paranoid (childish too).

FWIW - I think you are currently attending a pretty good school (#79 on the USNWR overall list - #34 in terms of public schools). The only 2 schools in Florida that are ranked higher are the University of Miami (private - it's #47) and the University of Florida Gainesville (#53 overall - #17 public). Both are tough tickets - although Gainesville is a really tough ticket. So why switch horses now?

I will note that our job picture in Florida is probably a bit better than the job picture in Michigan - but it is by no means good overall. Our housing market is in the dumps too. Wouldn't make any sense at all to move to most places in Florida for a couple of years to finish school and buy a house. Because you may not be able to find a job - and it might be very hard to sell the house. Robyn

Old 05-06-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWantOutOfMichigan View Post
Wow...you are more than wrong. We are not on any sort of financial assistance what so ever...how wrong of you to even say. Obviously you haven't paid very close attention to my postings. I want out of Michigan because it is boring and miserable, not because I don't like MSU. This is just ridiculous, all I asked for where some suggestions on where we should move to, not to have accusations thrown out at me about financial stuff.
My advice is to finish up at MSU. Then look for a job. BTW - what are you and your fiance studying? Robyn

Old 05-06-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Wow. Just wow. I was raised in Jax but I now reside in Georgia, and while we might be considered racist up there, we are at the very least polite. I cannot believe the attitude of the people on this board towards a person just asking for information. It's none of your business how they plan on paying for anything. And then personal attacks against her? Disgusting.
I don't think they're personal attacks for the most part. More like adult advice given to someone who - if not a child - is acting somewhat childish. Here's what she wrote in another thread:

My fiance and I are moving out of Michigan next year after we get married and I CAN'T WAIT! Michigan is such an awful place to live. I have had to live here for 20 years and I can't take it here anymore. The crime is getting much worse, the gas prices are outragous, there are absolutely no jobs, the Winters are soooo long and exteremly miserable and the Summers are too short. We are moving to Florida where it is warm, pretty, more things to do, and the economy is a bit better... I'm so excited to move out of Michigan!

And then there's this:

...We are tired of having nothing to do when we get home from a full day of school...

I can think of things to do - like studying - volunteer work - the occasional party. I went to school in the boonies - did all of these things - and never ran out of things to do (although we didn't even have a TV - much less the kind of media that's available today - in our dorm complex). If there was one thing I didn't get enough of in college - it was sleep!

This is a person who is at least a junior in college (a pretty decent one - and it did after all win the Gator Bowl this year ) - but who will probably take more than 4 years to graduate due to a change of majors during junior year. She and her fiance may have perhaps been to Florida a couple of times (maybe not). But she obviously knows very little about our state. Because most of our state isn't warm - it's darn hot most of the year. Most parts aren't pretty. There aren't necessarily more things to do (depends where you are) - and local economies throughout the state vary from fair to very poor.

More important - only a child would transfer from a reasonably decent school to one that is mediocre or worse. Who would you rather hire - an MSU graduate - or a graduate of Nova Southeastern JAX? Now UF Gainesville is a better school than MSU - but that isn't anywhere near the beach (and - like I mentioned above - it is very hard to get into these days). UM is better too - but Miami has a lot of traffic - and housing in good areas is expensive.

I don't think that posters here necessarily have to talk to people as if all of their ideas - no matter how silly they seem - make sense. And to me - what the OP is talking about makes no sense at all.

FWIW - I spent 4 years freezing in college - and defrosted only a little in law school. But the primary purpose of my education wasn't to have fun - it was to learn and get degrees that would make my life easier and better after I got out of school. I had lots of years left to warm up after I got out of school. Robyn

Last edited by Robyn55; 05-06-2011 at 03:53 PM..

Old 05-06-2011, 03:56 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,737,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Wow. Just wow. I was raised in Jax but I now reside in Georgia, and while we might be considered racist up there, we are at the very least polite. I cannot believe the attitude of the people on this board towards a person just asking for information. It's none of your business how they plan on paying for anything. And then personal attacks against her? Disgusting.
First of all, there is nothing personal about exchanging information on this board, financial or otherwise. Nobody knows who you are or even where you are, nor do we care. We are all hiding behind screen names and if your ego is so big that you imagine we know who you are then you should not be on this forum.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:38 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,512,329 times
Just because you have been to Disney World doesn't mean you have been to and experienced Florida. Yes its warmer here, in fact so much warmer that people from Michigan melt in the summer(it's not a pretty sight). I don't know about the prettier here part as not much beats the Upper Peninsula as far as natural beauty goes. You cant find anything to do on a major college campus??? Sounds more like a personal problem, but then after reading some of your replies I can see why you might have trouble connecting with others. No one here knows or cares who you are, or what you do, or how much you do or don't have, we ask questions because that is what is needed to give a responsible answer. If you don't like the answer don't ask the question. In that way were a lot like the military ..Don't Ask... and we Don't Tell.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:08 PM

28 posts, read 60,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
No one meant to offiend..but this person asks about florida says she and her fiance are both in college..and as i read the post i also thought about the cost of their college education , especially for out - of-state students...

so this snob comes back telling us how "offended" she is , when in fact it is a perfectly legitimate thing to discuss.....

again..stay in Michigan...If it is too boring for you..then you must be the problem...move to detroit..i am sure it will be nice and exciting for you there...
It wasn't the fact that the person mentioned anything about out of state tuition or anything like that. It was the way they came about it. They never recommended any cities to move to or anything, all they said was they doubt I was accepted into a college in florida (which they were wrong) and they wanted me to note that they doubt I would qualify for in-state tuition (which doesn't concern me since I can afford to pay out of state tuition) And the funny thing about it was that I never asked any questions about any of this poster's replies. I have the right to be offended if someone is assuming things about me and making judgements about me such as yourself calling me a snob just because I got offended. What is your problem? By calling me a snob, you are being the childish one. Get over yourself.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:15 PM

28 posts, read 60,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
First of all, there is nothing personal about exchanging information on this board, financial or otherwise. Nobody knows who you are or even where you are, nor do we care. We are all hiding behind screen names and if your ego is so big that you imagine we know who you are then you should not be on this forum.
It has absolutely nothing to do with knowing who I am. It doesn't matter if you are communicating on a computer screen or not, there is no legitimate reason as to why someone should feel obligated or even comfortable with giving out information as to how much money they have. It would however be ok if someone were to ask the poster if they can afford a certain home in the suburbs, therefore they can name some cities that may interest the asker. But it is a whole other story when someone straight up asks you how much money you have in your bank account...that is rude.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:21 PM

428 posts, read 1,083,343 times
You will miss MI.
We moved from Birmingham to Orlando in 2004 and do love it although MI is still home.
We are in our 50's and do own a second home in Harbor Springs.
FL is great but you will miss MI wherever you go. Its in you DNA.
Freshwater and prettier than FL but the winter is long; while the summers are hot here.
Good luck in whatever you do and GO SPARTANS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville