Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 04:28 PM

28 posts, read 60,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo13 View Post
would it be out of line to ask you how old you are, or is that classified information? this might put things into perspective...
Sure, as long as you don't criticize me for my age too. I'm 28 (29 in November.) I started college a little later than I had planned and both my fiance and I changed our majors during our junior year of college which is why it is taking longer to finish. Michigan is not the the place for me or for my fiance, I have had to deal with living in Michigan for twenty years of my life (first eight years was in Ohio) and it's just plain miserable. I dread each and every day here and yes, weather is a BIG factor in our situation. Our Summers are short and our Winters are dreadfully LONG, it's just not a happy place to be for two young, sun-loving individuals to live. Some may love Florida, some may dislike it, but my fiance and I would like to try it out first before we make any judgements on it. We do attend a GREAT university however, there are many other GREAT universities in other states (including Florida) to attend. Our plan was to transfer universities during the Summer so that by Fall we will be settled in and can start attending college in Florida by Fall of next year. We NEED change and it is perfectly alright to make that change during school, we are risk takers and this is a risk we are willing to take, but we do take our education seriously which is why we strive to find a good university before we move. It doesn't make us dumb and it certainly does not make us childish, all we want is to be happy and we are hoping that a change in location could add a little bit of that happiness in our lives that we so desperately need. Maybe it will, maybe it won't, but we won't know for sure until we try it out. I don't think very many people on this thread fully understand where I am coming from and why I got so offended by Robyn55, I feel as if she was trying to degrade me by assuming I was not accepted into a college and having me note that I do not qualify for in-state tuition. It wasn't really a question she was asking me, it was an assumption a very rude assumption. If you really read into it, I hope you would understand what I am referring to. Anyways, that is my take on this whole mess and hopefully I won't be bashed by my age either.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:49 PM

459 posts, read 1,417,084 times
wow... you just seem like an all around miserable person, in my opinion. life has really given you a beatdown over there in michigan, eh? perhaps try some form of anti-depressant before moving clear across the country just to be miserable there? i don't think robyn was assuming anything, or insulting you. she was simply asking about your situation to offer the best advice possible... eh, good luck either way.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:12 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo13 View Post
haha... this is one of the funniest threads i've read in quite some time on here, please don't let it die.
At least on my part - I think I will. There's a fellow on the Retirement Forum who - when faced with a thread like this - says it makes his hair hurt. Now I know what he means. If the OP wants to buy a $400k house in an unstable real estate market 40 miles away from Podunk Community College and get a degree there - so be it. It is her time - her money - and her future. And since she's no kin to me - I don't give a FF. Robyn

Old 05-09-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWantOutOfMichigan View Post
Sure, as long as you don't criticize me for my age too. I'm 28 (29 in November.) I started college a little later than I had planned and both my fiance and I changed our majors during our junior year of college which is why it is taking longer to finish. Michigan is not the the place for me or for my fiance, I have had to deal with living in Michigan for twenty years of my life (first eight years was in Ohio) and it's just plain miserable. I dread each and every day here and yes, weather is a BIG factor in our situation. Our Summers are short and our Winters are dreadfully LONG, it's just not a happy place to be for two young, sun-loving individuals to live. Some may love Florida, some may dislike it, but my fiance and I would like to try it out first before we make any judgements on it. We do attend a GREAT university however, there are many other GREAT universities in other states (including Florida) to attend. Our plan was to transfer universities during the Summer so that by Fall we will be settled in and can start attending college in Florida by Fall of next year. We NEED change and it is perfectly alright to make that change during school, we are risk takers and this is a risk we are willing to take, but we do take our education seriously which is why we strive to find a good university before we move. It doesn't make us dumb and it certainly does not make us childish, all we want is to be happy and we are hoping that a change in location could add a little bit of that happiness in our lives that we so desperately need. Maybe it will, maybe it won't, but we won't know for sure until we try it out. I don't think very many people on this thread fully understand where I am coming from and why I got so offended by Robyn55, I feel as if she was trying to degrade me by assuming I was not accepted into a college and having me note that I do not qualify for in-state tuition. It wasn't really a question she was asking me, it was an assumption a very rude assumption. If you really read into it, I hope you would understand what I am referring to. Anyways, that is my take on this whole mess and hopefully I won't be bashed by my age either.
Oh gosh - ain't it awful. You are 28 - and you are going to a decent school in a place where it gets cold in the winter. Boo hoo. My husband spent his younger years growing up near Buffalo and Cooperstown NY. Then he went to college in New Jersey (less cold) and law school in Boston (more cold). I grew up in New Jersey (less cold) - college in the Finger Lakes in New York (more cold) - and then law school in Boston (less cold).

My only regret about those years is we didn't have all the new zippy stuff they make clothes out of now - thin - warm - insulating - wicking materials. We were still in the "wet itchy wool" generation. I think I would have enjoyed 10 degrees with snow a lot better had I been able to order out of today's Land's End catalogue.

The only schools in the whole state of Florida that are better than the one you're attending now are UF Gainesville and UM. Neither meets any of your "requirements". So - good night and good luck. Robyn

Old 05-09-2011, 05:34 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
At least on my part - I think I will. There's a fellow on the Retirement Forum who - when faced with a thread like this - says it makes his hair hurt. Now I know what he means. If the OP wants to buy a $400k house in an unstable real estate market 40 miles away from Podunk Community College and get a degree there - so be it. It is her time - her money - and her future. And since she's no kin to me - I don't give a FF. Robyn

Last edited by madcapmagishion; 05-09-2011 at 06:08 PM..

Old 05-09-2011, 06:32 PM

118 posts, read 341,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcv33 View Post
Congrats on your quest to become a Floridian! I've lived in all of the good cities of Florida and based on what your looking for, south Florida is the best option, hands down. I would say either Boca Raton or Delray beach if you're going to be in school as FAU is in Boca and is a good school. We have the best beaches, more jobs and way more to do. Not to mention, housing is at an all time best if you're looking to buy. Avoid the panhandle of Fl, aka lower Alabama. Jax is ok at best. Way too spread out. Hyde park in Tampa you would like. Orlando is fun to visit, that's it. Good luck and let me know if you need more info.
I concur with MCV33. Based on what the OP has articulated in this forum, Florida Atlantic University ("FAU") fits the bill. FAU is minutes from the beach and is in the heart of the one of the best areas in S. FLA, Boca/Delray.

OP, take a look at the Pineapple Grove Area of Delray Beach, very cool.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:42 AM

Just to set the record straight - both my husband and I were born and raised in the northeast. Went to college and law school there. Had our first jobs there too. And we survived. We moved to Florida when we were in our late 20's (because there were great job opportunities here back then).

If you're concerned about crime - investigate the parts of Florida you're considering very carefully. We have a lot of crime in lots of areas (even some very nice ones - I spent 20+ years living in Miami - nice areas - lots of crime). Off to the TPC now. Beautiful day for it. Robyn

Old 05-10-2011, 09:07 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,570,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWantOutOfMichigan View Post
What? You have proved absolutely nothing. I'm not starting a fight, I've been saying over and over in my posts to please be polite and not try to stir up confrontation. Where do you get off saying i'm starting a fight? Maybe you should get some perspective and re-read what I have written before judging and like I keep saying, don't post on this thread unless it's polite and about what I asked in my very first post, thank you!

Again you are proving my point. And I am judging you on what you have presented here with your responses.

Good luck in your search... I really I hope you find what you are looking for ...I will not respond to this thread again

Old 05-10-2011, 01:48 PM

163 posts, read 449,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
The only schools in the whole state of Florida that are better than the one you're attending now are UF Gainesville and UM.
Hit the nail on the head. UNF, USF, UCF and FSU pass out degrees left and right. Show up to class for 4 years and basically youll get a degree.

I have a friend that just graduated as a business major from UNF. UNF is seen as a very well know school for their business program. He said he learned almost nothing and the most interesting thing he learned and uses now is contract writing, thats it. Ive meet multiple people that have communications degrees from UNF and UCF, and they cant white balance a camera, cant use a tripod and cant edit together a 1 minute clip using Final Cut Pro.

I learned all of that in one semester at FCCJ.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:50 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,831 times
IF you listened to their advice, and answered the questions.- you would find how much they COULD contribute.

I contributed some, was going to contribute more, but due to your attitude decided not to bother.

I honestly wouldn't be reading this thread except for the amusing thin skinned nature of the OP.

You can lead a jackass to water but cant make em drink. Ooohhhh wait was that a horse hmmm doesnt matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville