Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 06:36 PM

28 posts, read 60,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
Just because you have been to Disney World doesn't mean you have been to and experienced Florida. Yes its warmer here, in fact so much warmer that people from Michigan melt in the summer(it's not a pretty sight). I don't know about the prettier here part as not much beats the Upper Peninsula as far as natural beauty goes. You cant find anything to do on a major college campus??? Sounds more like a personal problem, but then after reading some of your replies I can see why you might have trouble connecting with others. No one here knows or cares who you are, or what you do, or how much you do or don't have, we ask questions because that is what is needed to give a responsible answer. If you don't like the answer don't ask the question. In that way were a lot like the military ..Don't Ask... and we Don't Tell.
I know how hot it gets in Florida, trust me. I have stayed in Florida (North, South, and Central) in the months of January, March, April, June, July, August, September, and December more than once each year throughout my life. It's nothing compared to having to freeze most of the year with temperatures that get into the negatives with snow, ice, and the dry frigid air. Surprisingly, I love heat and I don't mind the humidity either. YOU may think that he Upper Peninsula is prettier than Florida, but I think Florida is much prettier, just my personal opinion. There are "things" to do here at MSU, but most of it is just shopping and eating, and clubbing and that all gets old really fast. I like to dine out but I'm not the club hopping type. i want to move to get out of the cold weather too. By the way, I have no problem connecting with people...in fact, I have tons and tons of close friends that I connect with perfectly. I do not however connect with rude people like some of these posters on here, such as yourself. And obviously some people do care about how much I have or else they wouldn't be asking me how much money I have in my account. You don't have to ask me how much money I have in order to name some cities I may want to live in based on the requirements I listed. Nowhere on that list does it say anything about being able to afford college or being admitted to one. How about don't ask personal questions that are not relevent to the subject, especially after I kept mentioning that I already have enough money to cover everything. Don't reply to my post if you don't have a nice answer. THANK YOU

Old 05-06-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwand View Post
You will miss MI.
We moved from Birmingham to Orlando in 2004 and do love it although MI is still home.
We are in our 50's and do own a second home in Harbor Springs.
FL is great but you will miss MI wherever you go. Its in you DNA.
Freshwater and prettier than FL but the winter is long; while the summers are hot here.
Good luck in whatever you do and GO SPARTANS!
Thank you for your polite response the weather here is a big factor in our situation. We really can't stand the cold any longer. I really love Florida though, even though I have not had the experience of living there yet. I guess I won't know until I try it though. Thanks again!

Old 05-06-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I don't think they're personal attacks for the most part. More like adult advice given to someone who - if not a child - is acting somewhat childish. Here's what she wrote in another thread:

My fiance and I are moving out of Michigan next year after we get married and I CAN'T WAIT! Michigan is such an awful place to live. I have had to live here for 20 years and I can't take it here anymore. The crime is getting much worse, the gas prices are outragous, there are absolutely no jobs, the Winters are soooo long and exteremly miserable and the Summers are too short. We are moving to Florida where it is warm, pretty, more things to do, and the economy is a bit better... I'm so excited to move out of Michigan!

And then there's this:

...We are tired of having nothing to do when we get home from a full day of school...

I can think of things to do - like studying - volunteer work - the occasional party. I went to school in the boonies - did all of these things - and never ran out of things to do (although we didn't even have a TV - much less the kind of media that's available today - in our dorm complex). If there was one thing I didn't get enough of in college - it was sleep!

This is a person who is at least a junior in college (a pretty decent one - and it did after all win the Gator Bowl this year ) - but who will probably take more than 4 years to graduate due to a change of majors during junior year. She and her fiance may have perhaps been to Florida a couple of times (maybe not). But she obviously knows very little about our state. Because most of our state isn't warm - it's darn hot most of the year. Most parts aren't pretty. There aren't necessarily more things to do (depends where you are) - and local economies throughout the state vary from fair to very poor.

More important - only a child would transfer from a reasonably decent school to one that is mediocre or worse. Who would you rather hire - an MSU graduate - or a graduate of Nova Southeastern JAX? Now UF Gainesville is a better school than MSU - but that isn't anywhere near the beach (and - like I mentioned above - it is very hard to get into these days). UM is better too - but Miami has a lot of traffic - and housing in good areas is expensive.

I don't think that posters here necessarily have to talk to people as if all of their ideas - no matter how silly they seem - make sense. And to me - what the OP is talking about makes no sense at all.

FWIW - I spent 4 years freezing in college - and defrosted only a little in law school. But the primary purpose of my education wasn't to have fun - it was to learn and get degrees that would make my life easier and better after I got out of school. I had lots of years left to warm up after I got out of school. Robyn
That is just your own opinion of Florida. I for one find Florida to be truly beautiful and like I have said before, I actually like the heat and I don't mind the humidity either. I haven't been to Florida just a couple of times, I visit Florida every year (approx. 2-3 times a year) and I love it there. As I have stated before, I never said I was going to go to the University of South Florida or Nova, all I said was that I was accepted to those schools but will still be applying to others. Don't call me a child just for mentioning that I was accepted at those schools, doesn't mean I will be attending them. I am in no way "a child" and I take school very seriously which is why I have been able to maintain a 4.0 gpa. along with volunteering, studying, and sleeping. But I want more things to do, I love the beach, the warm (even hot) weather, the beautiful scenery, boating, etc. that Florida has to offer all year round. My fiance and I are unhappy living in Michigan, just because we are transferring schools does not mean that we are children. Of course I would make sure the school I am transferring to is a great one, you have no right to assume that I wouldn't. Just because your a "lawyer" or whatever doesn't mean you know everything about anything and anyone. I believe you are being the childish one by making childish accusations about me.
By the way, it is a little creepy that you are searching my other posts, do you have nothing better to do???

Old 05-06-2011, 06:57 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,512,329 times
What cities in Florida would you suggest for a young couple to move to?, Tampa Bay Forum, 10 replies
What cities in Florida would you suggest a young couple to move to?, Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Forum, 15 replies
What cities in Florida would you suggest a young couple to move to?, Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach Forum, 2 replies

Any of the above listed cities would be more than glad to have you. All are great places to live, and offer all the amenities that you require to flourish. They are all pretty and comfortably warm. Move to one of them please!

Old 05-06-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
What cities in Florida would you suggest for a young couple to move to?, Tampa Bay Forum, 10 replies
What cities in Florida would you suggest a young couple to move to?, Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Forum, 15 replies
What cities in Florida would you suggest a young couple to move to?, Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach Forum, 2 replies

Any of the above listed cities would be more than glad to have you. All are great places to live, and offer all the amenities that you require to flourish. They are all pretty and comfortably warm. Move to one of them please!
Yeah I probably will, because most people that have replied to my post that are from Jacksonville or around there are pretty mean. I have a pretty good idea that you are asking me to move to one of those places because you are just like the rest of the people that have replied to my post. Everyone seems to be calling me childish when in reality, all of you are the childish ones. FROM NOW ON...PLEASE NO ONE REPLY TO MY POST UNLESS YOU HAVE SOMETHING NICE (NOT SARCASTIC EITHER) TO SAY, AND IF YOU HAVE SUGGESTIONS FOR ME. BUT NO ONE SUGGEST JACKSONVILLE BECAUSE I AM NOT MOVING THERE.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:23 PM

118 posts, read 341,391 times
Dear OP,

Please note that some of the folks on this forum are not representative of Jacksonville as a whole. One prolific poster, who I won't name, but I'm sure you can deduce who I'm referring to, seems to live for criticism/debate and taking orginal posts off point. Do not give any more personal information than necessary, because this particular posters will attempt to intergrate personal your information into his/her responses framed in a demeaning, negative tone.

Here is my (on-point) suggestion:

Take a look at Delray Beach, FL. This is a great seaside community, which is walkable, has great beaches, tropical weather and has an active nightlife. It is also within commuting distance to NOVA's main campus in Fort Lauderdale.

The Boca/Delray area is very nice.

Best of Luck,

904jax

Last edited by 904jax; 05-06-2011 at 09:45 PM..

Old 05-06-2011, 09:31 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,499,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWantOutOfMichigan View Post
That is just your own opinion of Florida. I for one find Florida to be truly beautiful and like I have said before, I actually like the heat and I don't mind the humidity either. I haven't been to Florida just a couple of times, I visit Florida every year (approx. 2-3 times a year) and I love it there. As I have stated before, I never said I was going to go to the University of South Florida or Nova, all I said was that I was accepted to those schools but will still be applying to others. Don't call me a child just for mentioning that I was accepted at those schools, doesn't mean I will be attending them. I am in no way "a child" and I take school very seriously which is why I have been able to maintain a 4.0 gpa. along with volunteering, studying, and sleeping. But I want more things to do, I love the beach, the warm (even hot) weather, the beautiful scenery, boating, etc. that Florida has to offer all year round. My fiance and I are unhappy living in Michigan, just because we are transferring schools does not mean that we are children. Of course I would make sure the school I am transferring to is a great one, you have no right to assume that I wouldn't. Just because your a "lawyer" or whatever doesn't mean you know everything about anything and anyone. I believe you are being the childish one by making childish accusations about me.
By the way, it is a little creepy that you are searching my other posts, do you have nothing better to do???
I always look at what people write elsewhere. Gives me some background. When you are interested in talking about schools and education instead of beaches - get back to me. If you were a serious person - you would complete your degree at MSU (unless you can get into a better school elsewhere - and - so far - you haven't applied to or been admitted to one). You haven't even answered what your major is (a very proper question to ask a college student). FWIW - you sound more like the people in the Retirement Forum than someone who is starting out in life. Robyn

Last edited by Robyn55; 05-06-2011 at 09:40 PM..

Old 05-06-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904jax View Post
Dear OP,

Please note that some of the folks on this forum are not representative of Jacksonville as a whole. One poster, who is a retired attorney, although a prolific poster, seems to live for criticism/debate and taking orginal posts off point.

Take a look at Delray Beach, FL. This is a great seaside community, which is walkable, has great beaches, tropical weather and has an active nightlife. It is also within commuting distance to NOVA's main campus in Fort Lauderdale.

Best of Luck,

904jax
Not representative at all. Only about half of JAX kids even graduate from high school.

Why would you advise someone to transfer to Nova instead of completing a degree at MSU? Robyn

Last edited by Robyn55; 05-06-2011 at 09:42 PM..

Old 05-06-2011, 10:21 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,897,929 times
Dear Michigan, I was not rude in my post to you and I do agree with 904Jax. Deray Beach would be a great place to investigate. Then as I mentioned prior, you can move north to West Palm and south the Fort Lauderdale in your search.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904jax View Post
Dear OP,

Please note that some of the folks on this forum are not representative of Jacksonville as a whole. One prolific poster, who I won't name, but I'm sure you can deduce who I'm referring to, seems to live for criticism/debate and taking orginal posts off point. Do not give any more personal information than necessary, because this particular posters will attempt to intergrate personal your information into his/her responses framed in a demeaning, negative tone.

Best of Luck,

904jax
Guess I forgot to mention. Delray is cute - but it is 35 miles from Nova - and most of the commute is on I-95. Doubt the OP and her husband would each want to commute 70 miles a day RT on I-95 in south Florida. FWIW - perhaps you recall that I lived in Miami for a long time. But my parents lived in Lighthouse Point (near Pompano) - and I am very familiar with the area. The traffic there is simply awful - especially in season. To give you and the OP an idea - during my mother's final illness - she spent time in North Broward Medical Center (at Sample Road and I-95). Some days - after I spent the day in the hospital - I'd try to get to the Town Center Mall in Boca (about 5-6 miles). Always took more than 30 minutes - sometimes 45+ minutes. The only places I tend to drive where the traffic is as bad as or worse than the traffic in south Florida are Atlanta and Los Angeles.

The simple fact of the matter is that the only school in Florida that is as good or better than the school the OP is now attending that has anything near the amenities she's looking for is the University of Miami. Miami of course has horrible traffic and is - for many people - an acquired taste (if they ever like it at all). Anyone who is offended living in a part of the US where English is a secondary language need not apply. My husband and I liked Miami. But - after 25 years there - we were ready to try someplace else.

Anyway - I defy anyone to tell me why someone should - absent extenuating circumstances - transfer to a worse school from a better school shortly before graduating. Usually college students try to do things the other way around (starting at the worse school and trying to transfer to and graduate from the better one). For example - I have a niece in Michigan who started at a not so great private school in Michigan. She did very well for 2 years - and then got admitted to UM Ann Arbor (one of the best public universities in the whole country - it's #29 among all universities - #4 in terms of public universities). She loved it there (Ann Arbor is a far cry from Lansing - I have family in the area - and really like Ann Arbor). I can understand the OP not liking Lansing - but if she has the academic record she claims to have - why not transfer over to Ann Arbor? This one kind of doesn't pass the "smell test" for me.

You may not like me - and the OP thinks I'm "mean" (guess she hasn't been in the real world a whole lot if she thinks I'm mean). But I am pretty logical - very practical and extremely interested in education. Because your education is one of the keys that will help to open doors for you during your adult years. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville