Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 07:05 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,928,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
How would anyone do that, exactly? Is it the Jersey Mike's Subs shops you see? Do tell.......

Wow, if you cant see that that has happened / is happening.... you got blinders on dude!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 12:50 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,845,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAugustine View Post
Per this article:

That seems like an astonishing figure, but it wouldn't surprise me. All that building had to go somewhere...

Welcome to St Johns County; Ruining Itself, One Transplant at a Time.
This is really a meaningless stat. Have some larger farms absorbed smaller ones? How many have closed, how many are new?

The important number would be how many acres are in cultivation now as opposed to then.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:46 AM

2,962 posts, read 5,001,666 times
It is what it is. I'm sure the Indians, Spanish, French, and English had the same gripe.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:05 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,374,416 times
Quote:
Stupid rhetorical questions don't deserve serious answers.
If you seriously cannot fathom how a horde of people from (somewhere else) can move into an area and ultimately disrupt its quality of life and pervert its values, then what is the likelihood that I could 'explain' it in any way you would actually understand?
Nor do stupid generalizations with no actual facts to back it up. You sound like an angry, bitter person who thinks they have some claim to land they don't/didn't own simply because you have lived here longer than others.

Disrupt the quality of life and pervert its values....LOL!

Drama queen

Old 02-24-2015, 06:58 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,428,704 times
If you want a really depressing glimpse take a look at a satellite image of Florida. I worry that by the time my kids grow up Florida will be one giant suburb stretching from Georgia to the Keys....

Old 02-24-2015, 12:52 PM

172 posts, read 239,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
This is really a meaningless stat. Have some larger farms absorbed smaller ones? How many have closed, how many are new?

The important number would be how many acres are in cultivation now as opposed to then.
You're correct, I am unaware if anyone has done that study to nail down the number precisely, but basic empiricism is pretty much good enough for anyone who has lived here since prior to about the mid 1990's and remembers what it was like pre-horde, remembers the farms that used to exist in places that are now yet another Soaring Eagles Ridge Cove Turtles Nest Landing on Panacea Bay (Homes, from the Mid 220's).

One needn't be a statistician to make the strong correlation between the farm figure in St Johns County and the building we've seen occur on what were former aglands.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
The facts are there. The cultural changes undergone in SJC have been immense and you bet, it has been a perversion of values.

Its just that you're one of those unfortunate people who have that mechanism that lets you exist in a state of denial, thus allowing you to 'believe' whatever you want. Either that, or you're too dumb to see it or the third option, you haven't been here long enough to have the first clue on what you're talking about.
Nah, I just enjoy riling up you locals who pretend to be holier than thou because your parents decided to call this part of the world home and somehow that makes you feel superior to people who have actually explored the US a bit more than you.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've gotta go burn some "agland" so I can put up a few thousand more cookie cutter homes.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:31 PM

403 posts, read 936,096 times
Any major city in the US has people moving in and out all the time. I think as the previous poster mentioned, the selling of farmland for new housing is happening all over. Isnt this a sign of a thriving city? People want to move to your city, create jobs and spend money? Would you rather live in Detroit or a city rapidly losing population? I live in the suburban sprawl of Philadelphia and am a "native" but enjoy seeing people from all countries moving in and out of our city. We are a very diverse population and I love getting to experience all of the various cultures. The city in general really embraces that. Don't be mistaken, some people are proud to be native Philadelphians but I have never heard anyone talk about all the non-natives moving here in a bad way. Not so when I lived in SC and FL. There was a definite hostility towards non-natives. I'm not sure why this is. I love living all over and experiencing new places and people

Old 02-24-2015, 01:50 PM

172 posts, read 239,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Nah, I just enjoy riling up you locals who pretend to be holier than thou because your parents decided to call this part of the world home and somehow that makes you feel superior to people who have actually explored the US a bit more than you.
Wanna make a real world bet on who between us can produce more passport stamps and/or verifiable addresses at different places in the United States?

It has nothing to do with 'holier than thou'. It has to do with an awful, real world consequence and all indicators suggest that what you see in the mirror is a good image of 'the problem' that locals resent so badly.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:17 PM

Do i want to exchange personal information with a hostile, anonymous person who is angry at the world? Ummmm, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville