Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 02:25 PM

9,406 posts, read 8,379,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeni View Post
Any major city in the US has people moving in and out all the time. I think as the previous poster mentioned, the selling of farmland for new housing is happening all over. Isnt this a sign of a thriving city? People want to move to your city, create jobs and spend money? Would you rather live in Detroit or a city rapidly losing population? I live in the suburban sprawl of Philadelphia and am a "native" but enjoy seeing people from all countries moving in and out of our city. We are a very diverse population and I love getting to experience all of the various cultures. The city in general really embraces that. Don't be mistaken, some people are proud to be native Philadelphians but I have never heard anyone talk about all the non-natives moving here in a bad way. Not so when I lived in SC and FL. There was a definite hostility towards non-natives. I'm not sure why this is. I love living all over and experiencing new places and people
Well stated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 06:21 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,792,384 times
So basically what is being stated here is that people moving here from states like NY and NJ are more likely more liberal than the original "natives". St. Augustine is implying that because of that "conservative values or morals" of the area are being threatened by this. But I'm all for diversity so in my opinion it brings different perspectives to the table and not one monotonous idea of the world.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:13 AM

164 posts, read 227,971 times
Uh oh, if more liberals are coming, I'm in full agreement with the OP - CLOSE THE GATES!!!

(I'm not a crazy conservative either, I like to think of myself as a centrist )

Old 02-25-2015, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl1150 View Post
So basically what is being stated here is that people moving here from states like NY and NJ are more likely more liberal than the original "natives". St. Augustine is implying that because of that "conservative values or morals" of the area are being threatened by this. But I'm all for diversity so in my opinion it brings different perspectives to the table and not one monotonous idea of the world.
This is exactly what it means although he hasn't come out and stated it. But if you really think about this, how in the world am I, as a non-native transplant, influencing anyone's morals???? I'm not running some cult influencing the children here. I'm friendly with my neighbors and would never try and push my morals onto anyone else, nor would anyone would half a brain allow someone to do that to them.

The transplants I know are good people who keep to themselves and raise their kids with good/decent morals, which is why I asked for facts to back up the statement (which he has none, just the ol' "ooohh you know what I mean!" retort).

Old 02-25-2015, 08:40 AM

403 posts, read 936,287 times
Wait I'm a liberal because I enjoy talking to people of various backgrounds and enjoy eating at our local pho Thai restaurant and Korean Asian bakery? I'm about the least political person you will ever meet. We live in a mobile society and change is inevitable. No one has claim to any one city no matter if you were born there or not. I'm free to go and live wherever I want. Isn't that the beauty of our freedoms?

Old 02-25-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeni View Post
Wait I'm a liberal because I enjoy talking to people of various backgrounds and enjoy eating at our local pho Thai restaurant and Korean Asian bakery? I'm about the least political person you will ever meet. We live in a mobile society and change is inevitable. No one has claim to any one city no matter if you were born there or not. I'm free to go and live wherever I want. Isn't that the beauty of our freedoms?
You are slowly becoming my favorite City-Data poster.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:20 PM

172 posts, read 239,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl1150 View Post
That is not what's being stated, but leave it to a partisan monkey to reduce the issue down to its nearest Obama/Bush paradigm.

It has nothing to do with "politics", everything to do with attitude and values. Unarguably, the area has most definitely benefited from an injection of some political diversity. I remember SJC when it was run by hicks. It wasn't what it is today. Still, if the trade-off is what I'm seeing, I'd rather go back.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:26 PM

172 posts, read 239,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
This is exactly what it means although he hasn't come out and stated it. But if you really think about this, how in the world am I, as a non-native transplant, influencing anyone's morals???? I'm not running some cult influencing the children here. I'm friendly with my neighbors and would never try and push my morals onto anyone else, nor would anyone would half a brain allow someone to do that to them.

The transplants I know are good people who keep to themselves and raise their kids with good/decent morals, which is why I asked for facts to back up the statement (which he has none, just the ol' "ooohh you know what I mean!" retort).
When someone makes a qualitative observation about something, just what in the way of 'facts' do you want? A formally commissioned study?

"Johnny stinks. He needs a bath."

"NO HE DOESN'T WHY DO YOU SAY THAT? IT ISN'T TRUE!"

"Because I've smelled him and its awful"

"YEAH WELL I NEVER SMELLED ANYTHING BAD. WHERE ARE YOUR FACTS? PROVE THAT JOHNNY NEEDS A SHOWER!"

"Oh, that's right. I forgot. He's your brother. Sorry..."

Its a very distinct breed of intellectual dishonesty you see from ideologues whenever someone makes an unflattering observation. They deny its existence, then demand 'facts'. When nobody can provide a peer reviewed study that Johnny smells and needs a bath, they feel that their "Johnny Does Not Smell" position has been vindicated.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:38 PM

I guess if an intelligent person is going to throw a huge negative blanket over a group of people or an area there would...or should....be something to back up that statement. Increased crime stats, lower scores in schools, etc. You produced none. As a result you and your ridiculous opinions can hereby be dismissed.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:20 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,792,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAugustine View Post
That is not what's being stated, but leave it to a partisan monkey to reduce the issue down to its nearest Obama/Bush paradigm.

It has nothing to do with "politics", everything to do with attitude and values. Unarguably, the area has most definitely benefited from an injection of some political diversity. I remember SJC when it was run by hicks. It wasn't what it is today. Still, if the trade-off is what I'm seeing, I'd rather go back.
Ok thanks for clarifying but my statement still stands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville