Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 11:05 PM

121 posts, read 786,210 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Jax, then spent about 15 years as a prof student in Gainesville, then 15 years in Boston area. Here's the rub: poverty in the FL is urban AND rural. For instance the town of Live Oak has a high crime rate. It is proportional to affluence and per capita income. In the high percapita states the crime is low. Where wages drive a fast food and temp talent service economy, crime is high. Pretty simple.

Old 02-22-2007, 09:06 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,117,325 times
it seems like people are fooling themselves into thinking that jacksonville and florida are extremely disproportionately high in crime to the rest of the nation. That may be, but when we are talking about murders here, we had 137 in the metro area last year. while more than orlando or tampa, it figures with our more urban population. but this does not happen all over town.
detroit had either 414 or 487 murders within city limits last year, and there are only 100K more people in detroit, philly had 406, las vegas had 157, 258 murders in dade county, etc. u get the point

jacksonville isnt the little city people think it is, plus it is relatively old, so there is some blight mixed in with the florida new sprawl, as a result there would naturally be crime, be smart and safe and dont hustle or deal drugs and u should not have much problems, JSO has recently hired 150 more officers, with our ****ty city management, dont even know if that will make a dent tho

Old 02-27-2007, 11:04 AM

5 posts, read 42,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
Christian11 is an idiot. You probably went into the wrong part of Jacksonville talking trash and almost got left in the St. Johns River. Westside Jacksonville is the WORST part of Jacksonville in terms of criminality. Any numbered street in Westside that starts with W is bound to be in a bad area. 103rd, 107th & 117th sts. on the Westside are the worst. Northwest Jacksonville is the ghetto section of the Northside.
why are you always slamming the westside? i live off of 103rd and its not as bad as the Northside. thats where all the homicides takes place. ive never heard of 117th unless you mean the 118th/Jammes Rd./Morris Ave.area. lets not talk about 45th. on the Northside of town. wasnt there like 3 murders over there in one day last year?

Old 02-27-2007, 11:11 AM

5 posts, read 42,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinjax View Post
Jacksonville has three of the top one hundred high schools in the nation. Two in the top ten. they have great schools if you put your child in the magnet program and are an attentive parent. There is a great opportunity for any child willing to work that is smart enough to handlle it Crime is mostly in the poor welfare types of negihborhoods. If you do not have the money to stay out of those neighborhoods do not move to Jacksonville.
I AGREE! matter of fact Paxon High School and Stanton High were both in the top 3 of the nation at one time!!!! Stanton #1 Paxon #3.....

BUT also u got to look at the worst schools. Raines High School and Ribault High are in the bottom of the list in the State of Florida.....what side of town are these schools on???? uh NORTHSIDE.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:48 PM

It is also, once again not all the northside. the closer to the city, the worse it is, because far out northside is being built out with nicer subdivisions and shopping centers (aka strip malls) like the rest of town. people coming into this city need to know, we do not have completely polarized sections of town as much as other cities, we have spread out wealth, and more spread out crime than people realize. JUST AVOID INNER N/NW JAX AND MONCRIEF ROAD AND DUNN AVE, thats it. AND PHILLIPS HIGHWAY ON SOUTHSIDE (YES I SAID SOUTHSIDE WHICH ALSO HAS ITS FAIR SHARE)

Old 03-02-2007, 11:12 PM

5 posts, read 23,453 times
Northside is a pretty rough section of town but you gotta understand violence happens everywhere in Jax, for example a few months ago a guy was shot to death at the beach.

Jsimms3 speaking of Phillips Highway. I live in the neighborhood of Emerson and Phillips Highway, called Copper Circle. If your new to the city Phillips highway is like the Hollywood and Vine of California lots of prostitution and drugs but living so close to it, Ive never really had a problem.

Old 03-03-2007, 03:34 PM

bodine, glad u havent had trouble there. i think that if u arent involved in prostitution or drugs or "la cosa nostra" etc. your chances of being shot are pretty slim (except in some cases on the northside). in any city or small town america even, if u are involved in highly illegal and dangerous activities, u run many risks. same aplies here.

to anyone moving here, just dont get involved in bad activities with bad people, this place is no different from where u live now, if u lead a normal life, u will be fine!

Old 03-06-2007, 12:36 PM

87 posts, read 195,047 times
most of people saying this crap dont even live in the areas to begin with. crime is everywhere if you got a lil money you dont have to live in the bad areas plain and simple. stop being so damn scary. bunch of scary ******* on here and stop having "rob me" written all over your face. Have some street smarts too.

Old 03-06-2007, 07:49 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,217,262 times
Tell that to the little girl who was sitting in her bed reading and got shot- nine years old, I think. Or the girl who was even younger and was shot in the livingroom, arms wrapped around her younger siblings to protect them. Oh, you can't tell that to them- they are both dead.

Violent crime occurs predominantly in certain low income neighborhoods, but to be so flip as to suggest that only people who do bad things are its victim is more than incorrect, it's ignorant. Thinking like this is part of the problem when it comes to solving our city's crime problem.

It wasn't my child who was buried, but it was someone's child. If a mother fifteen miles away from me can't tuck her children in bed for the night, knowing that they are safe, then we all need to make it our problem and not stop until every mother can go to bed knowing that her children will be safe and sound and that they will wake up to live another day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
bodine, glad u havent had trouble there. i think that if u arent involved in prostitution or drugs or "la cosa nostra" etc. your chances of being shot are pretty slim (except in some cases on the northside). in any city or small town america even, if u are involved in highly illegal and dangerous activities, u run many risks. same aplies here.

to anyone moving here, just dont get involved in bad activities with bad people, this place is no different from where u live now, if u lead a normal life, u will be fine!

Old 03-08-2007, 11:22 AM

8 posts, read 21,842 times
Well said hereinfla
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville