Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2010, 06:17 AM

41 posts, read 122,510 times

Advertisements

Sure, a few grads have done okay. But what you and everyone who is not a lawyer or did not go to Coastal fails to understand is that every year the school accepts almost SEVEN HUNDRED new students, and there simply IS NOT A JOB MARKET FOR THAT MANY LAWYERS. Not in Jacksonville. Not anywhere else in Florida.

You also probably have no idea about the debt to income ratio that will be the reality for the kids coming out of this school. I know kids who owe over $200k (not very uncommon for Coastal students) because they also went to a private undergrad, and they are staring at an $1800+/month loan repayment for 30 years, while maybe making $30k/year. Yeah, I'm definitely blowing this out of proportion.

Stop my "yapping?" I actually went to this law school, and so I will continue to try and expose this toilet school for what it really is. And until you're a practicing attorney in the middle of the legal market or a law student looking for a job, please don't tout second-hand qualitative drivel as a credible rebuttal. Thanks~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 06:26 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,506,520 times
Don't forget that FIU and FAMU law schools were designed specifically to produce "minority lawyers" (hispanics and African Americans) - since the Florida Bar is big on increasing minorities in the practice of law. Normal non-hispanic non-black graduates don't stand a chance in many decent larger firms - even if their academic credentials are better. Robyn

P.S. Don't know beans about Barry.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:56 PM

First, Barry Law is in the ghetto of Orlando (and by ghetto I mean barrio). Second, half of Barry's campus is actually in modular buildings (i.e., mobile homes). It's really top-notch. Actually gives Coastal some bragging rights ("Hey, at least it isn't Barry!").

Old 04-13-2010, 03:38 PM

Interesting update: FCSL's bar passage rate from the February bar exam was 10th in the state (of 11 law schools), finishing ahead of only FAMU. About 60% passed.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:07 AM

7 posts, read 22,449 times
I'd put more stock in the July rates as there are much more students and a few failing can widely swing the results. How far off was FCSL with other schools for February % wise?

Old 04-14-2010, 02:27 PM

FSU was #1 with 85%.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:02 PM

134 posts, read 330,054 times
I have a question for Robyn and others who have experience with law school. I am 28 and have an A.S. in Information Technology, and A.A. and am currently attending UF, working on my B.S.B.A. Im very knowledgeable about technology and have 5 years of IT experience and 4 years of professional experience. Im trying to decide whether to go for my MBA after the Bachelors or look for a way to attend law school. Law is something that I have ALWAYS been interested in. Not sure if it matters or makes me a better candidate for law school but I am very good at debate, researching laws, understanding how laws apply in various situations, and looking for loopholes in laws.

My problem is that I work full-time for one of the nations largest banking/investment firms. It gets interesting because starting next January I am eligible to work from home full-time. My work is laid back and if I am do decide to go to law school I would POSSIBLY be able to attend UF if I could get in and maintain working from home so that I can attend classes during the day. I dont know that I will be able to do that so Im looking at other schools that I could attend on a evening/part-time basis but I really want to go to a good and reputable law school. I know the importance of a reputable school and really UF would be my choice. Any idea on what else I can do or where to look?

Old 05-23-2010, 04:59 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,506,520 times
Is there any kind of combo MBA/JD program at UF? If so - that's what I'd shoot for. If there isn't - I'd do anything at UF Gainesville ahead of anything at Florida Coastal. Young man across the street from us just graduated from Bolles - and only about 15 students from Bolles got into UF this year! Schools like UF have become the Ivy League of schools for the vast majority of students who aren't rich enough to afford Ivy League and other expensive schools - or poor enough to qualify for big scholarships. The middle class is being forced into the public university system - with good results for the schools/students IMO.

BTW - I assume from your job description that you aren't poor. But you could be an interesting applicant for a school you might otherwise consider "over your head". Schools that have MBA programs - JD programs - or both. One of my nieces in law applied to 13 dental schools - and only got into Harvard - because she was interested in public health dental work. FWIW - I'd try to find schools with joint MBA/JD degree programs - to hedge up my future employment opportunities. I'm sure there are websites that specialize in these kinds of inquiries - and I'd try to find them and ask specific questions. Robyn

Old 05-25-2010, 04:21 PM

134 posts, read 330,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Is there any kind of combo MBA/JD program at UF? If so - that's what I'd shoot for. If there isn't - I'd do anything at UF Gainesville ahead of anything at Florida Coastal. Young man across the street from us just graduated from Bolles - and only about 15 students from Bolles got into UF this year! Schools like UF have become the Ivy League of schools for the vast majority of students who aren't rich enough to afford Ivy League and other expensive schools - or poor enough to qualify for big scholarships. The middle class is being forced into the public university system - with good results for the schools/students IMO.

BTW - I assume from your job description that you aren't poor. But you could be an interesting applicant for a school you might otherwise consider "over your head". Schools that have MBA programs - JD programs - or both. One of my nieces in law applied to 13 dental schools - and only got into Harvard - because she was interested in public health dental work. FWIW - I'd try to find schools with joint MBA/JD degree programs - to hedge up my future employment opportunities. I'm sure there are websites that specialize in these kinds of inquiries - and I'd try to find them and ask specific questions. Robyn
Thanks for the info Robin. There is no joint JD/MBA that Ive seen at UF. I agree with you on UF. UF is like the Ivy League of Florida. Its really reputable with employers in Florida and around the US actually. Unfortunately I cannot attend a school that is out of the state of Florida. My job technically would allow for it because I can work anywhere where Im 30 minutes from a branch office but for my wife and soon to be daughters' sake, I cant leave Florida. I will evaluate the job market and my situation when I finish my BSBA at UF in 2012 and decide. I really wouldnt mind going to law school if I have the opportunity.

One thing I have read on several forums is that right now if you dont know someone in a big law firm or have connections its very tough to get a decent job. My uncle in law is a long time partner at White and Case and I was thinking that could give me an in to a huge firm. When that time comes I will see if thats a feasible opportunity.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:39 AM

1 posts, read 5,971 times
Thank you for the input.

I do like the Thomas M. Cooley law school and enjoyed talking to all the faculty. I do not know much about FCSL, but everything (and I mean everything) I have heard about Cooley has been negative. I've atleast heard mixed about FCSL, and if you take away the debt then I have actually heard mostly good about FC. There is a much better chance of me practicing in Florida than Michigan and I must keep that into account too (Michigan's economy is currently spinning down the toliet). I am going to check out FCSL, I am really not worried about the extra 30,000 it will cost because law school is a gamble, I understand that. If I wind up 175,000 in debt and making 30,000 a year; atleast I will be doing what I love. I'm not going to law school to get rich and never expect a 6figure salary... If I die in debt, than good luck collecting it (a joke before yall flame me). I think I much rather live in sunny Florida than grim Michigan and I don't feel at all confident about finding a job with a degree from THE joke law school, especially when they give out 1,500 of those degrees each year. . . I feel confident that I can find a job faster and with a higher salary coming from FCSL. Even if noones heard of it, atleast it isn't the national lauffing stock. . You can prob tell which way I'm leaning, but I am actually still so undecided it is scaring me...

So I got a second question, if I go to Coastal would you recommend taking 12 hours or 15 hours my first semester?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville